Which Detector?

g34m

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
OK, I need help. I shoot gold (nuggets) in highly mineralized soil about 80% of the time, the remaining 20% is spent looking for lost items on an ocean beach. Is there a good detector that will serve both of these functions well. I'm not in the position to have two different detectors but multiple coils for a single detector is doable. Up front, Minelab is out of my price range. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks, g34m

Upvote 0

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's MXT is good for all of those areas I hear....you may want to look into it....just a suggestion

HH

OP
OP
G

g34m

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Thanks, I realize I may be looking for a needle in a haystack as "the system" would prefer I buy multiple detectors to satisfy my requirements. But it seems to me there should be detectors that can readily handle different tasks. Surely the technology is available. I will take a serious look at the White's MXT. g34m

Z

ZumbroKid

i got a MXT, no nuggets here and no ocean beaches either. So i can not help on this one.

OP
OP
G

g34m

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
In a perfect world, I'd like to keep my ouylay under $400. I'm not opposed to buying used equipment, especially if there is not too much age on it. I almost bought a used Gold Bug 2, but I was told it would not do well on the beach. Soooo, I'm still looking.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Bug is excellent for tiny nuggets and would do a great job at a beach provided you didn't get it wet or get near the wet sand because it would have trouble with the salt. Your going to be digging everything and the digging is easier in the sand anyway. Most detectors are ok in the dry sand, but then small nuggets would be a problem. That is why many of us say you might need more than one machine. For tiny gold nuggets you need more gain then most VLF's use. Just like a 4 X 4 pickup is ok in the Outback, it sucks at the track.

Sandman

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The Sandman is correct. The GoldBug 2 has been used at the beach in dry sand. Whites's GMT can do the same as long as you keep it in dry sand. The GB2 as well as the GMT is going to be more sensitive toward smaller gold than the MXT.

What some folks are doing is using these sensitive gold hunting VLFs as micro-jewelry detectors at the beach.
Here is a link to the GoldBug 2 being used at the beach- under Infinite Untapped Hunting Opportunities? on page 17
The author claimed that the GB2 had the same depth on coins and rings as Fisher's CZs- which is really saying alot.
He has some pretty impressive jewelry finds including some diamond earrings.

http://www.ronsdetectors.com/downloads/fishintel.pdf

George

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I too agree with Sandman. I do considerable reading and the Goldbug almost always comes up while reading on nugget hunting.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Try a Minelab Eureka Gold machine they run on three frequencies 60 klhz for small gold,20 klhz for medium and 6.4 klhz for deep larger pieces or coins and relics. The machine is not affected by salt in the lower frequencies and has a discriminator as well . These are a good all round very versatile machine well worth a look at.I have found most of my nuggets with this machine at surprising depths .

Good hunting seeya Neilo ;D

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Since you are trying to keep it UNDER FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS, look for a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger on E-bay. New, they sell for about 450. If it is as good as everything else Garrett makes, it should do well. It has a lot of ground balance control so it should be ok for the beach I would think. It also accepts different coils.

OP
OP
G

g34m

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the input including the links. At least you've narrowed it down to a reasonable number of items for me to research further. Good folks out there!! g34m

Willy

Here's a suugestion from left field.. how 'bout a Compass AU 2000 ? It has two frequencies to select from, is HOT on small gold, has the pateneted varifilter ( swing fast or slow.. don't matter), and (besides ground balance) has settings for alkali/high mineralization. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread