Which Garrett Detector for this purpose(s)?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250 which I got for Christmas this year. Finally got it down pat pretty good. Mostly hunt local parks, schools. Early this month, I went to the beaches at Galveston and had one heck of a time adjusting the ACE 250 to the local conditions. Did find some clad and junk, but that is about all.

I am thinking about buying a new detector. Not sure which one. I know there are so many "specialties" out there it can be confusing. Is there a detector where I can hunt parks, beaches, and in water (fresh and salt?). In terms of the beach, I would only go in the water areas no more than ankle deep. Yes, I know I want an all purpose detector, but not sure if one really exists that would do it all, so to speak.

Thank you for any advice. It is appreciated.

apush :read2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water detectors are built for water pressure so they are a bit heavy for normal land hunting so they are mostly hip mounted or hung from your neck. Some fine all land detectors can be also hip mounted for shallow wading but they still won't handle the salt sand well. Your best bet is a Sovereign GT as it is the land version of the Excal and willl handle the saltwater wet sand and the land hunting too, but it is not a Garrett. Garrett doesn't make a VLF water detector anymore so they are sadly out of the ball game. It can be hip mounted or hung from your neck to save weight on the arm. All the other land detectors have to have reduced sensitivity to get near the wet salt water sand. There are many coils for it and Sunray makes a great Inline probe for it which I use when in the woods as it acts like a one inch coil. :thumbsup:

I think this is your best bet.

Attachments

• Sov GT copy.jpg
    Sov GT copy.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 308

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Following your topic with interest, apush ! Was going to make a similar inquiry; have an Ace 250 which I enjoy, but come winter I'll be in the Corpus Christi area wanting to hunt beaches as well. Looking forward to suggestions that come in :thumbsup:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Keep in mind if its not a waterproof unit ,one dunk in
the drink and it over.
The Gt is a great wet sand machine but still sea salt / spray can be a problem.
I might keep my feet out of the water.Fresh water a little safer.
Picture this , your in the ocean feeling good so you drift out to knee deep water
get a nice hit . With visions of gold dancing in your head you start to dig
only to look up and see a nice white cap ready to roll you.

Willy

How 'bout you keep the Ace 250 for all around land (away from the beach) coin/jewelry hunting and get something like an Infinium or Seahunter MK2 for the beach? I don't know how heavily mineralized your beach is, but it's anything like what we get over here (B.C. Canada) the Infinium (which I have) will basically slaughter the Sov. (I had: Sov., Sov. XS2A, Excalibur, GT and did in-ground comparison testing). If the mineralization is low.. go for a Sov. or Fisher CZ. Before anyone starts spouting off on how the Sov. is the cat's a$$ for going deep in high mineralization and God's gift to detectorists, check out what they use in the goldfields and not just for tiny nuggets. I'm talking big stuff and deep. Can you say PI's? If the BBS/FBS were so all-fired deep in high mineral ground, why would someone fork over 1-5 k for a PI? Anyway, one thing that an Infinium will do is give a better indication of iron (large at depth) than any VLF I've used. It's also a unit that you really have to be willing to learn on if you intend to be successful with it. ..Willy.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got just about what Willy suggested except I run an Ace 150 and a Minelab Excalibur. There are cheaper ways to achieve that versatility on the water end of things, but I sure love my Excal!

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....for the salt water beach on Galveston.....you need a specialty detector...you basically need the original Garrett SeaHunter Pulse Induction unit....although not made anymore....I see them on FeeBay from around $300.00 or less.......I have found many a gold ring in the shallow surf........Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread