Which MD should i get?

bransen111

Jun 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, i fell upon this site on accident a few hours ago and i am already hooked, i was just wondering what good but cheap metal detector i should get? i plan on detecting on beaches and open fields primarily and i dont have much more than $100 to spend, i also want a detector that has discrimination if its possible with my budget. thanks in advance for the help
-Bransen

P.S. I also would like it to be able to detect gold but from what ive read so far you need a seperate MD for that or if i am wrong please correct me

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome
e bay mite have some thing
stick with white's if you can

liftloo

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, i fell upon this site on accident a few hours ago and i am already hooked, i was just wondering what good but cheap metal detector i should get? i plan on detecting on beaches and open fields primarily and i dont have much more than $100 to spend, i also want a detector that has discrimination if its possible with my budget. thanks in advance for the help
-Bransen

P.S. I also would like it to be able to detect gold but from what ive read so far you need a seperate MD for that or if i am wrong please correct me

Welcome to Tnet. The unfortunate news is that it is hare to get a descent machine for $100. One of the worst mistakes people make is trying to go very cheap to see if they like it. I am certainly not saying you need a high end machine as complexity starting out could be a mistake as well. The really cheap machines just do not work well as a rule. They don't discriminate nearly as well and the frustration of digging every nail and small speck of foil will discourage you in a hurry. The very cheap machines often lack the ability to get more than a couple of inches in depth as well. There are some really great machines out there for $200 to $300. You might find a good one used for around $150. The Fisher F2, Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Silver Sabre, and Garrett Ace 250 are among the most common "GOOD" machines for a beginner. I have personally been spanked by a Tesoro Silver Sabre in the hands of an experience hunter while I was out with my new high end machine, so don't worry about these machines not being capable. Simple can be better in the beginning. Getting to know your machine and giving it some time will greatly increase your productivity. I personally hate how brand loyal some hunters can be, so be ready for lots of the "my Daddy can whip your Daddy" arguments when members recommend a machine. Whatever brand they are currently using is the best. We are lucky to have some great supporting vendors who can help you narrow your decision down as each of the machines mentioned will have strong and weak points. Depending on the type of soil you hunt in and the type of hunting which most interests you, their experience with multiple machines may help insure you get the best machine for you without bias toward brand. Best of luck and HH.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the BEST place to connect with people of like interests in metal detecting. Save your nickels and dimes and get an Ace 250. A good all-around machine. Maybe less if found used. TTC

OP
OP
bransen111

bransen111

Jun 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. The unfortunate news is that it is hare to get a descent machine for $100. One of the worst mistakes people make is trying to go very cheap to see if they like it. I am certainly not saying you need a high end machine as complexity starting out could be a mistake as well. The really cheap machines just do not work well as a rule. They don't discriminate nearly as well and the frustration of digging every nail and small speck of foil will discourage you in a hurry. The very cheap machines often lack the ability to get more than a couple of inches in depth as well. There are some really great machines out there for $200 to $300. You might find a good one used for around $150. The Fisher F2, Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Silver Sabre, and Garrett Ace 250 are among the most common "GOOD" machines for a beginner. I have personally been spanked by a Tesoro Silver Sabre in the hands of an experience hunter while I was out with my new high end machine, so don't worry about these machines not being capable. Simple can be better in the beginning. Getting to know your machine and giving it some time will greatly increase your productivity. I personally hate how brand loyal some hunters can be, so be ready for lots of the "my Daddy can whip your Daddy" arguments when members recommend a machine. Whatever brand they are currently using is the best. We are lucky to have some great supporting vendors who can help you narrow your decision down as each of the machines mentioned will have strong and weak points. Depending on the type of soil you hunt in and the type of hunting which most interests you, their experience with multiple machines may help insure you get the best machine for you without bias toward brand. Best of luck and HH.

would you take a look at these pictures on this listing on ebay, and tell me if this ace 250 is just too beat up to be worth the money or if it can take a pretty good beating? heres the link
Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector Graphic Target ID | eBay

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the best used machine you can afford. There are some vendors here on Tnet that would be glad to help you. The quality of today's products are outstanding, so don't worry so much about it being used. Bounty hunter makes detectors that work well, trust me. My first detector was a bounty hunter and it found plenty.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you take a look at these pictures on this listing on ebay, and tell me if this ace 250 is just too beat up to be worth the money or if it can take a pretty good beating? heres the link
Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector Graphic Target ID | eBay

Looks pretty beat up. That would concern me but sure doesn't mean it will not work. I have been watching Craigslist for a similar machine as a backup/loaner. I have seen some descent deals and can go inspect and test them because they are in my local area (near Chattanooga). Not being familiar with the hobby may make it hard for you to determine that it is functioning properly. If you are near a local club you may be able to attend a meeting and get some good advice and possibly a member to help you as well. Also may come across someone who want to upgrade. I will be the ultimate hypocrite here concerning brand loyal but check out Youtube vids and watch comparisons. Just search "Fisher F2 vs" and you will see it compared to similar priced models. Also the Teknetics Eurotek Pro seems to have lots of bang for the buck (hypocrite because Fisher and Teknetics are owned by the same company and I currently hunt with Teknetics). Even though the Tesoro Silver Sabre doesn't have a meter you will soon learn that everything above foil should be dug in most cases anyway if you want to find jewelry and they just work and have awesome discrimination. I will check Craigslist and get back with you in a PM if I see a bang up deal. Will be glad to see if I can find one and get it too you. I am sure some of our other members will volunteer to help hook you up as well. Again the amount you can spend may derail us, but no harm in trying.

OP
OP
bransen111

bransen111

Jun 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks you guys are all awesome, i tried craigslist near me and there is barely 5 results for any metal detectors at all and most of them are thousands of dollars so i kinda had to skip out on that and i was worried about how beat up it was too, thanks for confirming it haha and i will definitely check out these vendors on here

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will call my local shop "Treasure Mountain" and ask Edd to help us as well. He is a local vendor for me and an absolute great guy as well. You can check him out under our vendors.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You can get a brand new Tesoro Compadre with a lifetime warranty for $160. And from what I have heard and read, it will blow the Ace 250 away.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the beach you want to search is a salt water one you will be able to search the dry sand part, but wet sand and salt water most lower end detectors can't handle, they will chatter a lot and give false signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread