Which one should I buy? Whites or Garrett?

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm anticipating a major email response here. I'm assuming that, much like there are Ford people and Chevy people, there are White's people and Garrett's people, but I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I take the plunge into a new detector.

I bought a Prizm III. Without too many details, I'm -not- happy with it. So.... I hunted down an old Coinmaster 5500/D and know what to expect from these great old analog machines, but feel I'm missing out on new technology.
Uncle Sam is going to give me some of money back for the economic stimulus. I'm gonna stimulate by buying a new detector and stimulate it even more by spending the clad's I find! :)

I like to hunt by threshold. The first line of Whites detectors (from what I understand) that threshold hunts is the MXT ($800). The Garrett Master Hunter CX allows a threshold hunt ($549).

I have always been a Whites guy, but because of disappointment with the Prizm, my loyalties aren't that strong anymore.

The only Whites in the same price range as the Master Hunter is the M6 but it comes down now not to product loyalty, but to which detector is closer to a 'professional' detector for around the $550 range.

I'm looking for the best features. Depth, reliable visual ID. I'm not looking for simplicity. I have a lot of experience tuning and using detectors. I'll have about $550 to spend.

Based on experience and not (like I've been doing) basing it on brand loyalty, any suggestions on which detector I'd probably be happiest with? Right now, I'm leaning towards the Garrett. I might be able to squeeze getting an MXT but if the features of the Garrett equal the features of the MXT, why spend the $$$$ for a name?

Personally if you like to have a screen lie to you and you need to always guess what is really there or the depth, of course either a Garrett or Whites is your cup of tea. You basicly get what you pay for and I think you should look into the Sov GT. True it doesn't have a screen, but it is deeper and covers more ground per sweep because of the DD coil.

However you should really look into the Minelabs and Tesoro's. I don't like my Garrett 1500.

You can pick up a new MXT for 680.00 (not the MXT 300) or a good used one for around 550.00. I have been using mine over five years now and never once had a problem with it. Great coil selection available for it including DD's. I belong to a club so I have had the opportunity to try many other detectors and when a new model comes out no matter what make it is, someone usually shows up with one. I have yet to find one I would give up my MXT for, although a few have come close. Since you are down to a White's or a Garrett's I won't muddy the waters with other suggestions. I will say I live in the land of green. I have never seen so many Garrett's in one place. Of course they make them here. It's like there is one in every garage and they often turn up in yard sales. I have tried every Garrett except the Scorpion and the Mark II. Don't get me wrong. They do the job, they just don't suit me.

I gave up on Garrett back in the 70s. Had some issues with Garrett we won't get into. Have had Whites machines for quite awhile, yeah, even the old BFO (tubes). Sandman has a very good point. Since you're experienced with analogs you'd do very good with a Soverign & probably be very happy with it. If you aren't going to keep your present machine as a backup, you can sell it & use the money to get a better chioce. Just my opinion. ;D

what ever you buy you need to be able to listen to what it is telling you. that only comes with practice. when i first started a looooong time a go i thought it was simple. then i learned to listen to my machine. i dug a lot of trash but i dug some goodies too. i learned what good sounded like and what trash sounded like. both my compasses are mid 80's and work great. i have the proof. i wish they were better on gold but it just might not be there. i have found rings and other items but i want a coin! an example, my brother bought a very expensive whites and wouldn't listen to me. i finally convinced him to listen to it. now he is starting to love it. good luck!

Well heres my take- the Whites you mentioned are both and having recently purchased a M6 I can tell you I like it!!! It gives you lots of target info and has plenty of features. The MXT is a little more of a machine for all types of hunting. Garrett seems to miss the boat on a relic/coin machine. Their machines have target notching and ID blocks but I like Whites VDI system alot better. Get to a dealer and try some different machines out.

BTW I love Tesoros as well!!!!!!

Greg

My husband has a Whites M6 (which I don't like)....I have a MXT which I love! The MXT is like having 4 detectors in one. I have three extra coils with it . That is another reason I like it. I think you can get up to four different size coils for the MXT. Something to think about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back