which silver US coins appreciated the most in the past 8 years

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am looking to start collecting slabbed coins for PCGS. I have a rather large Marx playset figures collection I am selling off and wish to move into collecting slabs.

can anyone tell me which US coins have appreciated the most since 2011?

And does past appreciation rates have any bearing on possible future appreciation rates to the same coins?

thanks

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may choose to do your own research on that first question.
One way is to buy cheap copies of the 2011 and 2018 Official Red Books of coin collecting and compare estimated values.
Don....

I have been doing that, i have red 2019, red 2014, blue 2004, blue, 2011 and blue 2019.

just wondered if anyone had the experience to point me into the right direction.

thanks

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to start collecting slabbed coins for PCGS. I have a rather large Marx playset figures collection I am selling off and wish to move into collecting slabs.

can anyone tell me which US coins have appreciated the most since 2011?

And does past appreciation rates have any bearing on possible future appreciation rates to the same coins?

thanks

Rule of thumb is the lower the mintage, the older it gets the higher the price goes up......earlier the better.......check out the bust dollars on this site...

https://www.coinstudy.com/bust-dollar-values.html

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say buy 3 or 4 times more silver for those prices and skip the fancy slabbed stuff altogether. It's hard to get rid of and no one wants to pay extra for it. You wont find a coin shop that will buy it back from you for anything close and their graded stuff never moves if you notice cuz no one wants it. The only real value is the silver content except to a niche group of coin nerds and they probably wont be there when you want to sell it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have extensive knowledge in very specific areas on this topic. Your question is way WAY to broad to answer this in a simple way. Can you give us any idea of what you have an interest in? for instance...country...era...metal type...$$$ you want to spend...etc. is this simply as an investment?...or to keep and admire?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not some of the goodies like 1972 DDO Lincolns or 1955 DDO Lincoln. They have dropped in value. Coin collecting is getting weird right now. A ton of old collections are on the market. That applies to most collectibles right now. The older generation is passing. My 1955 DDO which I bought for $2300 is now $1895 in the same grade slabbed anywhere! And you can find a lot to choose from. Same thing with 17th Century Mass. Pine Tree coinage. How many do you want?

If you are looking for investment, I'd just buy bullion, right now it's very popular.

If for personal interest, buy what you like. Stamp collecting was once popular. Coins may be going the same way. I sold 99% of every coin I ever bought in anticipation of retirement. I do not regret it and as a matter of fact can replace them for less than what I sold them for. It's kinda scary from an investment standpoint.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it is very true that prices go up and down in "trends"

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As a coin and stamp collector most all my life, I was a huge sucker for a long time. I still have $50 silver, and my stamp collection is full of pretty little stamps, some of which I may need as postage - I don't know if stamp collecting popularity will ever recover.

Pretty much, bullion prices drive the bulk of the coin collecting populous now.

Everything in moderation.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say buy 3 or 4 times more silver for those prices and skip the fancy slabbed stuff altogether. It's hard to get rid of and no one wants to pay extra for it. You wont find a coin shop that will buy it back from you for anything close and their graded stuff never moves if you notice cuz no one wants it. The only real value is the silver content except to a niche group of coin nerds and they probably wont be there when you want to sell it.

I agree and disagree with this statement , Key Dates , Toning , & grade all play a big factor .

Morgans in ms 66 , 67 are all ugly to me as they get the "Bag Mark " Push for lack of the golfing term that I can not recall.

PCGS or NGC Used to send me a monthly market report with the top 5 money makers & the top 5 $ losers .

The #'s amazed me at times .

I think I still get those reports , but I just don't have the $ to invest.

Monthly Sunday Marietta Coin show would be a great place to learn / buy.
GL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not some of the goodies like 1972 DDO Lincolns or 1955 DDO Lincoln. They have dropped in value. Coin collecting is getting weird right now. A ton of old collections are on the market. That applies to most collectibles right now. The older generation is passing. My 1955 DDO which I bought for $2300 is now $1895 in the same grade slabbed anywhere! And you can find a lot to choose from. Same thing with 17th Century Mass. Pine Tree coinage. How many do you want?

If you are looking for investment, I'd just buy bullion, right now it's very popular.

If for personal interest, buy what you like. Stamp collecting was once popular. Coins may be going the same way. I sold 99% of every coin I ever bought in anticipation of retirement. I do not regret it and as a matter of fact can replace them for less than what I sold them for. It's kinda scary from an investment standpoint.

I buy "Junk ' hate that word or Common Silver 90% , on occasion buy got a-lot in 2012 - 2016, then mainly started buying coins that I like 'Type's' Even holed coin's (when the price is right ) , Love tokens are nice , I'm really not trying to invest tho.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its usually always the same through time. Lower mintage, first strikes, high grade, always have good returns in time. Each year there are favorites that get purchased fast which can up the price. For example the 10oz Kookaburra has increased a lot this year already.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ya , I got rid of many coins ( Numismatic) / proofs etc etc , my reasoning was that if I died , my family would just take it all to the local gold/silver pawn shop and sell it all for around spot, I mean you have to be really dedicated and know what coin is worth what. 99.9 percent people have no clue or care.

I only buy bullion now too, if I die, they can sell it all for around spot ish. One less thing to worry about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread