What's new

Which way should I go?

alpinestar1982

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about what part of the creek I should focus on. I am a newbie at searching for points, but was lucky enough to find one on a gravel bar in a creek a couple days ago. It was laying right on top of the dry gravel. The location where it was found is about a half mile from where the creek enters into a larger river. I figured that searching in the direction of where the creek and river meet would be the best, but after thinking about it, I am considering going up the creek the other direction. I am assuming that the point I found was brought down the creek in higher water levels so maybe searching upstream may be better. Just wondering what everyone's opinion was, up stream or down stream? I'm assuming there are points in both directions, but not sure where to focus my search. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I have creek that I search and it runs in to a bigger river. I have looked all over the area the best spots for me are going up the creek and were the sand builds up at the end I also will go look at the sandbar that's across the river from the creek. hope this helps Good luck
 
Sounds like your on the right track. Check the high point areas near where the creek enters into the larger stream. That would be the most likely spot that was a camping area. Good Luck!
 
That's all very good advice. Also very simply..don't pass by areas that have visibly gathered material
 
Best advice I ever got on here,,"Look wherever there is dirt" It has worked very well here. At the base of big old trees, bare patches in the yards, etc. Erosion is my guess, and as trees grow they pull the dirt up. Also everything that these guys said.
 
I would like to see the point. If it looks fresh then it didnt go far down the creek if it had green slime on it and was stained then it might of traveled quite a distance. But where the creek hits the river is a good place to start. Good Luck
 
generally close to the spot where the two streams met there will be a indain village area -- look for a high spot ( they put villiages on high ground so as not to get flooded when it rained --high ground = natural drainage )-- if there is a flat or fairly flat feild type area where they could grow crops that is a added bonus --check along the river banks near there indain often fished and while waiting for a bite would knap stones -- broken or not just right arrowheads and knifes would often get chucked into the river or on the bank
 
Rock.......I took pictures of it before I picked it up, but it was with a cheap camera phone and I can not get the pictures off of it....I'm still trying though. It was laying right on top of the gravel, not buried at all. When I picked it up there was compacted dirt in the shape of the point so I think it has been there for a little while, but not too long. I have not made it back to where the creek meets the river, but I hope to this week.
 
Rock.......here is a picture of it. DSCN3374.webpI didn't clean it up at all besides rinsing it off in the creek.
 
If the river is large and has mussels in it then I would look for shell middens. Or dark lines in the soil from charcoal on the eroded banks. Most good sites are where two bodies of water meet if it is high enough to not be flooded. But after running up the creek a mile or so and down the river you will find the areas that are producing. They will produce forever with erosion. If the creek is piling up material on sand bars take a metal rake or use a stick and go thru the gravel. I have raked thru whole gravel bars before. This is what works for me as I hunt mostly water and rock shelters. But I hunt by boat and may travel 20 miles in a day hitting each spot quickly and move to the next. First one in wins! Just my opinion as everyone has their own style. I also study topographical maps to find sites.
 
I guess it would also depend on your water flow. How fast the current is, rain, no current, depth, color of the soil, flooding when it rains. A lot to think about. But I would say to look upstream towards the 2 that meet for sure. And Tnmountains had some good ideas also. I have tried water hunting here but prefer dry land to hunt.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom