Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this penny in my yard as my first TRUE metal detecting coin find. It is a Memorial penny, but with a strange oxidation pattern. I know the copper in pennies turns them green when they oxidize, but how bout white? Is it jut a more uncommon form of oxidation or is it made of a different material?

image-434426083.jpg

image-3400250208.jpg

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Different soil conditions and the climate can change what copper looks like underground.

Yours is just an unusual pattern of oxidation, caused by any number of things (what your coin was next to, your soil condition, moisture, heat, cold, etc.).

Copper can end up out of the ground looking nearly perfect (I've seen Indian Heads look a solid brown, just like you'd buy a worn Indian at a coin shop) or a pitted mess, or a crusty green thing that is barely recognizable as a coin.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Generic_Lad said, it depends on a variety of factors and there sure are a lot of them out there. Congratulations on your first coin find while metal detecting, Ninjafossils! In spite of what you find later you'll never forget this one. Even though my first was a just clad dime I have saved it in a specially marked coin 'flip' to remember that special occasion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread