Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's 12 incher

Hello, i'm deciding whether or not to put down $250 for a new coil. I only found 9 silvers- 5 in a patch in SD- and the rest at the very bottom of my spectrum. I want to know if you think it is worth the extra money or if i should keep at it with the 9.5. I would pay for the most of it with an article.

Also, i'm still looking for a way to find Civil War relics on my trip to Virginia next summer...

Thanks

HH
-GC

Upvote 0

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Re: White's 12 incher

In my opinion the coil is worth it for sure. I didn't , however, have to pay the
full retail, as I bought a DFX during the special and got the Super 12 for $50.

Since using it, I haven't taken it off once. It goes plenty deep, much better
signals on deeper targets, and seems to handle trash and mineralization better
than my Stock coil. Sounds weird, but that is what I have found. The signals
seem much more distinct. Pinpointing is PERFECT. When you get into trash
or multi targets, just trigger it over the target a time or two to reduce the pinpoint
zone, and pick them right out. ( basically a manual ratchet pinpoint).

I would give it a big 2 thumbs up as a super coil. I havent gotten a ton of use out of
it this year.. .been so dry, but it did seek deep for a TON of wheaties and a handful of
silver in previously searched areas. I love it. Soley my opinion, just trying to
help :)

I call it my version of the Minelab SE.... Get your settings right, crank it up and this coil
will go as deep as anything can. Not even sure how this compares, but I just airtested my
gold wedding ring, and got an easy 15+ inches. That'll do !

For the other extreme, small stuff. Well, last week I hunted a little at a local sports field,
and found the insides of those little snaps for football helmet chinstraps. 5 of them all at
about 5" deep. They are only a little over 1/4" diameter. They were super signals.

Im confident you will like it. Its your decision to spend the money for it :) Happy hunting.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that sounds soooooooo sweet, couple more replies like that and it will be on my shaft on Christmas :)

Thanks

HH
-GC

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been thinking of getting one myself. I have done lots of reading and most all the reviews have been very good.

Kermit

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

My experience with the 12", at least on the Eagle SL II, was that it did not get coins any deeper than the stock 9.5.

While it is true that ... "the bigger the coil, the deeper it detects", but there is a point of diminishing returns for coin-sized items. At some point, larger coils only find larger objects deeper, not coin-sized objects. For most brands, this break-even point is around 9 or 10" coils. It depends on the particulars of the coil and the detector, but for me and my Eagle, I got no more depth with the larger coil, so I ditched it. Sure, it might've had more coverage, but that comes at a cost of more masking and harder pinpointing. Maybe the DFX will be different?

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i have the dfx tho

HH
-GC

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It would be nice to hear from somebody that has used the Super 12 for relic hunting in moderate to boderline bad ground. However, the one review so far has about convinced me to get one for my MXT.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Golden-coin, you say "i have the dfx tho" Yes, but the advice I gave is true of all detectors: There is a point of diminishing returns, where, at a certain size and up, you will only get larger objects deeper, not coin-sized objects. There are slight variations between coils and machines, as to where this point/size is, but was just giving you the results of my Whites, as as example of what you might expect.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Tom in CA, since you had different results from most Ive read, Id like
to discuss what differences there are in machines... I have no clue as to
the adjustments and settings on your Eagle SL, so could you tell me ...

What frequency choices do you have?
How many ground filters is your machine capable of using?
Do you have any dual mode frequency's?
Does your machine have Sweep Speed and recovery speed adjustments?
Can you adjust your VDI sensitivity any?

Just curious, as with the DFX there is obvious depth gain using the 12, and
am trying to figure out what could be the problem on other machines... any
info would be great. I think the Filters and Frequency issues are the most
important in penetrating ground deeper... or rather, getting a good signal from
deeper targets - including in mineralized ground and/or iron trash etc.

For example, I can run 2 filters and a single frequency on the DFX with the Super 12,
and not hear a certain target at all, but switch to 4 or 5 filters, and throw in BEST Data
or correlate, and boom, target is loud and clear. Ground conditions vary so much that
sometimes the Filters or Freq. modes need played with. (this example is with a pretty
deep target, say 8" Wheat penny )

Again, I state that my original review is based on correct settings for my areas. If someone
isnt familiar with the DFX enough to get it setup for their ground, they will have
mediocre results regardless of coil used.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Raptor, I don't have all the tech answers for you on the Eagle spec's. I'm sure they're available in the manuals or on Whites website or something. I haven't used the Eagle or any Whites for years.

The Eagle is akin to the XLT. I have heard that XLT guys too, who tried coils larger than the 9.5, increased coverage, but did not increase depth on coins much.

Another machine I have experience on, when it comes to coil sizes and their "point of diminishing returns" is the Minelab Exlorer and Sovereign. Most people, myself included, who have tried the 14" excelerator coil (which actually measures 13") will tell you that it doesn't get any more depth than the 10" coil, on coin sized targets. As for the 15" wot coil, the same is true for coin-sized targets on the Explorer, in my opinion. However, the 15" wot coil DOES get deeper for the Sovereign. I saw a guy get a zinc penny at well over 1 ft. on the wet beach, using a Sov/Wot combo, and correctly call it!

So is the DFX going to get deeper on coins with a larger coil? Perhaps. I don't know where that machine's point-of-diminishing-returns is. I was just trying to point out that the rule of "larger coils go deeper" hits a wall (for coin sized items) at a certain point.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the reply Tom, I understand what your saying about the diminishing returns
for larger coils and yes its true.

I am a little confused though... this topic is for the new Whites Super 12 spider coil, and you
said it didnt get any more depth for you.... But you said you havent used a Whites or your Eagle for years.This particular coil is brand new this year. If you are talking about "other" 12 inch coils on Whites machines, thats cool. However different coils by different companies definitely can vary in performance.

Tom_in_CA said:
My experience with the 12", at least on the Eagle SL II, was that it did not get coins any deeper than the stock 9.5.

I guess what I am asking is, have you used the new Super 12 Spider coil ?

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like my Super 12, check Ebay.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Raptor, the 12" (or heck, was it 14"? now I'm forgetting :P) coil I tried on my Eagle, was a solid loop, not a "spider loop" When you get it, do air tests with a ruler on coins, and let us know if it gets increased depth for coin-sized items. Of course, an air test doesn't necessarily show what depth you'd get in the ground, but it WILL show if the larger coil can go deeper, to begin with, on coin sized targets.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got my Super 12 from White's for a hair under $50 because I submitted a story they accepted. To be honest with you I have only used it once and was not happy with it. I guess I just expected it to force coins to jump out of the ground. I guess I'm just hooked on my little 4.5 x 7 Ex coil. I have read so many good reports that the coil must be good. However, the Super 12 was not much better than my 8" DD in my test garden. I have a silver quarter buried flat, at 8" and both coils gave me the same "iffy" signal on my MXT. Sorry not much help here.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnycat said:
I got my Super 12 from White's for a hair under $50 because I submitted a story they accepted. To be honest with you I have only used it once and was not happy with it. I guess I just expected it to force coins to jump out of the ground. I guess I'm just hooked on my little 4.5 x 7 Ex coil. I have read so many good reports that the coil must be good. However, the Super 12 was not much better than my 8" DD in my test garden. I have a silver quarter buried flat, at 8" and both coils gave me the same "iffy" signal on my MXT. Sorry not much help here.

but i have a dfx, perhaps the DFX has more energy to power the coil or is better adapted to it?

HH
-GC

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Hey Goldencoin,

Im gonna do what Tom suggested , just for the sake of having numbers to talk about,
plus Im curious. I will do a bench air test with Stock coil and Super 12, and see what
that shows me. Will do that in the next day or two when I get a chance. Ill post back
the results soon.

But again, like Tom said, it really wont prove much. So much matters with settings and
ground conditions that each case is literally unique. When I first got my DFX , I was
discouraged thinking I was only getting about 5" - Until I dialed in my machine
and got to know it a little, and starting picking up traffic in China occasionally :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread