Whites M6 vs Garrett 1350

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Would like to know more about either of these two. From what I can see from some research is that they are both at the same price point and seem to be somewhat even in the specs. What are your observations regarding the actual operation, comfort of using, ease of using, software accuracy in target ID and depth. So, what are the differences? Could it all boil down to the Whites camp vs the Garrett camp? Even then, who wins?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, im interested in this also..Anyone out there used both????

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's my two cents for what it's worth. Both of these machines are close to each other in performance, warranty, and excellent service if you ever need it, and both have many fine coils to choose from too.

I kinda like the Whites display better. Both of these detectors will report on the general ID of an object and can be wrong. All ID machines report on the conductivity of the target an if a screw bottle cap is laying right, both detectors can report on it being a quarter or even a silver half. There is no way around this no matter how much you pay.

Science hasen't found an answer for this yet an when it does, we won't be able to afford it anyway.

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
I had both and liked the the 24 segmented ID and Notch capability on the GTP 1350 and felt depth was very good. I wished the Profiling could be disabled when not needed which was 95% of the time and would have preferred the 1250 for that specific reason but to each their own. Weight and balance was good. I didn't care for the Highcoin Belltone and prefer a clean signal response on the high side but Belltone on a true overload isn't bad .

The M6 relies on the 7 tone ID , VDI#'s and 16 segmented target blocks for ID but lacks the Notching capabilities.Depth is also very good.I prefer the signal response facets on the M6 vs the GTP 1350.Coil selection is a BIG advantage for M6, especially on the smaller choices.Weight and balance on the M6 is about same as the GTP.

Overall i preferred the M6 and continue to use the M6 and feel it has one of the finest auto GB circuits i've tried so far but would prefer a manual GB option. The GTP 1350 is a fine detector and personal preferences along with hunting site demands would separate the two in my opinion.HH Bill

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill great review....Thanks alot for your input...Tom

OP
OP
lessthanzero

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Thank you, Sandman and Bill, for that insightful comparison. That is the information I was looking for.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lessthanzero said:
Thank you, Sandman and Bill, for that insightful comparison. That is the information I was looking for.

Yes now this is the type of answer that helps me make up my mind...I know I ask alot of questions, BUT I dont have much money, and it really is after years of saving that I will be able to buy what will probably be the last detector I get, so I want a lifetime keeper....Thanks again guys, Tom

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm sure you know the features of both.. I had the 1350 and a M-6.. I've used both for a couple months.. The profiling is a great feature on the Garret and wish the M-6 had it.. Other than that I prefer the M-6 Because of the 7 tones and the ability to lock the gb..
So much so I sold the Garret and purchased another M-6.. As my son prefered it to the garret also.. I run 0 disc., sens. around 100 and gb locked..

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
Well, I'm sure you know the features of both.. I had the 1350 and a M-6.. I've used both for a couple months.. The profiling is a great feature on the Garret and wish the M-6 had it.. Other than that I prefer the M-6 Because of the 7 tones and the ability to lock the gb..
So much so I sold the Garret and purchased another M-6.. As my son prefered it to the garret also.. I run 0 disc., sens. around 100 and gb locked..

Which one will go deeper in average soil, for coin shooting?????
Thanks, Tom

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
Definitely the M-6..

Cosmic, you have used both???, and you say the M-6 goes deeper...I used the MXT, and it seemed to me the 1350 had a slight edge in the depth department, now I could be wrong, and I know the MXT, and the M-6 are not the same unit, but I sure thought the Garrett had a bit on it....I have not field tested either unit, this was at the shop, air test only...Thanks, Tom

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switched every other time 4 times a week for 3 months.. M-6 consistently deeper with better id...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
Switched every other time 4 times a week for 3 months.. M-6 consistently deeper with better id...

Wow, thanks for the heads up...So it ID'ed better too....Was there anything you liked about the 1350 better??? I had loooked at the M-6 for awhile, but was'nt sure about it......Hmmmmm......Cosmic do want to thank you for taking the time out to help us out like this...Im glad we got to hear from someone who has used both....The only thing I dont like is the lack of notch on it, but I ran a 5900D for a long time without it..I have an Ace 250, and I like the Notch..My BH has it also....

OP
OP
lessthanzero

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Hey, Cosmic, thanks for that really good observation regarding the M-6 and the ID/depth comparison. That is some good info from the troops on the front line who actually use the machines. It seems that the M-6 is the preferred detector for the reasons given. Garrett's profiling is nice and gives some useful information, however I would rather go for ID accuracy and depth. Thanks again to all.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lessthanzero,
Well this post worked out great for both of us...I had been looking at both machines, and the MXT, I will relook the M-6............Tom

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was contenplating the MXT also but it doesn't have the 7 tones..
So......

Attachments

• j.JPG
    j.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,721

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
I was contenplating the MXT also but it doesn't have the 7 tones..
So......

I wonder how the MXT, and the M-6 stack up depth wise on average soil coinshooting????????Anyone??????

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought,

For, give or take, about $85.00 dollars more than the Garrett 1350 you could go with the GTI 1500.

It has improved features & sizing capabilities over the 1350, and for those that don't care for the Belltone, you can turn the Belltone off completely.

Features:
Audio Threshold, Adjustable
Audio Tone ID
Coin Alert Belltone Audio, Adjustable Option
Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
Discrimination: GTA Accept / Reject Notch
Frequency, Adjustable
Graphic Target Imaging (GTI ), True Target Size & Depth
Graphic Target Analyzer (GTA), Target ID Cursor
Ground Balance, Automatic Ground Tracking
Headphone Jack
Hip Mount Battery Pack, Adjustable Option
Last Mode Switching
LCD Backlit, Shows Target ID and Settings
Microprocessor Controlled
Pinpointing, with True Size and Depth Measurement
PowerMaster Circuitry
Salt Elimination Mode, Adjustable Option
ScanTrack
Sensitivity / Depth Adjustment
Speaker
Surface Mount PC Board Technology
Touchpad Controls with One - Touch Operation
Volume Control

Settings:
Sensitivity
Threshold
Detection Frequency
Volume
Tone
Full Range Multi-Notch Discrimination

I really enjoy this machine.

JCH

Attachments

• GTI1500.jpg
    GTI1500.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,611
  • GTA1350.jpg
    GTA1350.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,630
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,580

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnny Cache,
The only reason I didnt really look into that model Garrett was the dealer in Houston said that he used the 1350, and liked it better than the GTI 1500 for coin hunting, as a matter of fact he was going on a trip to CN. to do some hunting, and he packed the 1350 with him...This was at Alexander Enterprises, now he may have made more off of the 1350, or maybe it is going to be dropped soon, but he seemed straight up with me...He sells a wide range of Detectors, and I ask for a strictly coin shooting machine..That is the one he suggested....You know it is so hard to find the right unit, without second guessing yourself to death......I have always been a Whites guy untill recently...Now the Tesoros are looking good...

So many Detectors, so little money.............Thanks once again for the help everyone....Tom

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I;ve never used the Garret, but do have an M6 and absolutely love it. As stated no machine will give you 100% target id but the M6 is fairly accurate. The beach mode is also a great feature on this detector. About the only bad thing I can say about it is the discrimination knob (might be the same case for the sensitivity knob for lefties?), while swinging or walking it is easy to have it rub against your leg and get turned, so you gotta check it once in a while to make sure it hasn;t turned to a setting you don't want. I went from a White;s Prizm III to the M6 and loved the soft key push pad on the Prizms rather than the knobs and wish the M6 had this feature. Also White's program of awarding $200 merchandise certificates if they print a story of your finds is a BIG plus!! Also their customer service has been exceptional the few times I had to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread