Whites Prizm III

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased a Whites Prizm III from the whites website about a month ago and have been out with it just a few times, but I wanted to write my experiences so that if there were others who were looking to purchase a Whites Prizm model they would have some current information.

My experience with metal detecting is limited to the times that I went with my father as a young boy. I have been wanting to purchase a detector that I could have a lot of fun with but yet not break the bank on the FIRST purchase. I had considered the Garrett Ace 250 because a large number of members here had spoke highly of it. But after a lot of research and a lot of just not being able to make up my mind, I went with the Whites Prizm III. There are a couple of reasons that tipped the scale for me. 1) All the reviews that I read, I never found one that was negative in regards to the prizm or whites in general, this was not the case with other detectors that I considered. 2) It was suggested by an experienced detectorist here on Treasurenet. She is someone who, from what I have seen, has an opinion that is well worth taking. 3)After conversing with her and finding out that there was a whites dealer right here in our little rural town, that sealed the deal for me.

So why the Prizm III? Well to be quite honest, it was in my price range and I wanted all the features that were on the PIII. The PIII is second in a line of 4 in the Prizm Series (PII, PIII, PIV, and PV). All the detectors in the Prizm line have the same general functions such as Discriminstion, Sensitivity, Pin Point, audio and visual find display. This is what you will find on the the Prizm II. The Prizm III, IV and V have the additional depth gauge which was the feature that I wanted. As you progress up the series more features are added on, and of course the higher price tag as well. The Prizm III cost $299 +tax and shipping unless you purchase it from a dealer who may be able to get it for you a little cheeper, The Prizm II runs in the area of $199 plus tax and shipping.

When I first received my Prizm in the mail I unpacked it and reviewed the material that was shipped with it. I must say that the information was quite extensive and very well presented. The Prizm III also came with an instruction DVD that explained how to remeve the detector from the box and assemble it. I also went over the features of each Prizm detector and how to opperate them. Finally the video concludes with actually showing you how to use the detector itself. The Video was very well done, I had watched it numerous times and felt that it covered all that I was going to need to at least get out into the yard.

My first time detecting in my yard, the weather was not optimal as it was 25 degrees outside ant about 1 1/2 feet of snow, but after some snow blowing Iwas able to get down to business. It was no sooner than about 10 seconds when I got my first hit. The Prizm III's screen said that it was a penny and that it was located about 4" down. As I dug the hole I found the the Prizm was right on, it was a 1969 penny. I filled that hole and continued on in the yard finding coins for a total of .10 cents. In every case, the Prizm was dead on with location and depth. I was dealing with some pretty nasty weather but all in all, the prizm performed.

If you are considering a detector that won't break the bank and give you a good start in the hobby of metal detecting, the whites Prizm series is a good place to begin!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread