Whites VDI numbers for MXT

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I have had a little tough time finding some VDI numbers for the MXT so I am going to start my own with what coins, relics and such I have found already. I will be adding to it also when I come across more stuff I find. This is with my MXT and a 6X10 DD coil. I know coil size may vary somewhat but this should be close enough VDI numbers to compare with the 950 stock coil. Forgive me if you guys are tired of seeing this on T'Net but I am sure someone can benifit to it. It is not a complete list of coins and stuff but it is a start. I posted in coin mode what it would say beside the number also. I did it that way just to show some of you guys who are kind of new to the hobby to always dig your good signals even though it will say screwcap or something different. The numbers should be the same in relic mode also. These will probably work on the XLT, DFX, M6 along with the MXT. If someone wants to add some numbers from relics and coins, gold rings, etc. please put your 2 cents in, because I like to memorize the numbers and I have never memorized Whites VDI numbers. It has been 12 years and alot of machines since then that I have used a whites with VDI numbers.

silver 3 cent coin 1858- 52+55 screwcap
half dime- 57 screwcap
zinc penny-62 ladies silver ring-79+80 penny dime
indian head penny-52+55 screwcap CW 69 cal bullett-52+55 screwcap
copper and wheat pennies-77 CW 58 cal bullet-52 screwcap
V nickle- 16+18 CW sharps bullet-52 screwcap
buffalo nickle and war nickle-20 CW 36 cal bullet-45 screwcap
mercury dime-80
barber dime-78+79
clad dime-77
clad quarter-83 to 86
washington silver quarter-85+86
1965 40% silver half-89 to 92
morgan silver dollar-93+94

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is good if many like to play with the chances of digging or not. I used to suggest to newbies to cover the screen and just retreive the target that makes the beep till they learn the sounds. Then if they feel they need VDI numbers and icons to lie to them to use that method.

To each his own though so long as we have fun out there. At least we're not sitting in a fabric shop with the ole lady and trying to look interested............ :laughing7: "Does this little dot in this flower match my eyes?" She says....... Heck, when was the last time you looked at her eyes?

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting and thanks for the references. I wanted to ask you about the IH penny at 52-55. what year was that b/c I've heard different VDI's for different time periods. HH, Griff

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
postalgriff said:
interesting and thanks for the references. I wanted to ask you about the IH penny at 52-55. what year was that b/c I've heard different VDI's for different time periods. HH, Griff

I believe it is a 1903. I will have to dig it out again and check to be sure. I got a couple of them I found so I guess it would not be a bad idea to put both under the coil, Tim

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just added a few VDI numbers to the list......Like I said guys if you have some please put your 2 cents in and I will add it to the list at the top, Tim

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is one that I have. Not sure if its the same as the others.

-95 to - 20 Antique iron relics, Iron nails, rusty iron junk, hot rocks
-20 to 0 Small gold nuggets, gold earrings, gold chains, small bits of iron, gum wrappers, small bits of foil
0 to 15 Platinum rings, smallest gold rings, gold earrings, gold nuggets, sterling chains, larger foil pieces, gum wrappers, bits of chopped aluminum cans
15 to 30 Most gold rings, Gold nuggets, Gold $1, Nickels, oval pull tabs, bent tabs, bits of chopped aluminum cans, zipper tabs
30 to 45 Largest gold rings, larger gold nuggets, Gold $2.50, Copper Nickel cents (1856 to 1864), Silver War Nickels, most square pull tabs, iron bottle caps, small aluminum screw caps, Costume jewelry
45 to 60 Gold $5, Corroded zinc cents, 3 cent silver, zinc pot metal junk, costume jewelry, brass keys, small aluminum screw caps
60 to 70 Indian Head Cents, small sterling earrings, zinc cents, hot wheels cars, larger aluminum screw caps
70 to 78 Gold $10, modern copper cents, half cents, two cent pieces, small sterling rings and sterling jewelry, hot wheels cars
79 to 81 Gold $20, sterling silver rings, clad or silver dimes
82 to 88 Clad or silver quarters, heavy sterling silver rings, Sacajewea "golden" dollars, SB Anthony dollars, buried brass sprinkler heads
89 to 92 Clad or silver halves, large cents, buried brass sprinkler heads
93 to 94 Clad Eisenhower or silver dollars, large copper pipes

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great even more info...............Thanks fmrUSMC_0844, Tim

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Sadly in Oz, none of the coins match up to what the machine display reads. That means we have to just watch and learn our own VDI numbers, however, the rings and pulltabs should be the same.
It would be nice if Whites could produce an Aussie overlay sticker for the coins. How about it Ken? You sell plenty of MXTs out here. Our old pre decimal currency is all the same size / values as New Zealand and England.
Of course the decimal stuff is made of crap and the $2 coin is half the size of the $1. Mind you, this means we find lots of $2 coins as they are so small. Found a few today. Broke in the new MXT.

The Cat

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildcat said:
Sadly in Oz, none of the coins match up to what the machine display reads. That means we have to just watch and learn our own VDI numbers, however, the rings and pulltabs should be the same.
It would be nice if Whites could produce an Aussie overlay sticker for the coins. How about it Ken? You sell plenty of MXTs out here. Our old pre decimal currency is all the same size / values as New Zealand and England.
Of course the decimal stuff is made of crap and the $2 coin is half the size of the $1. Mind you, this means we find lots of $2 coins as they are so small. Found a few today. Broke in the new MXT.

The Cat

I am not sure if the coins you are looking for is silver, copper or what there in your part of the world but, once you get the hang of where your money falls in on the VDI scale you could try coinshooting in relic mode............I have done that and it works out pretty good for me also.......Once you kind of learn the numbers it all kind of becomes second nature, Tim

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Hiya Tim. Copper coins here are not worth looking for. I refer to Pennies and halfpennies (pre decimal) and 1c and 2c coins which are discontinued, however we do have a good variety of silver coins that of course have a high VDI. The $1 and $2 are brassy looking things and the $2 VDI is around 70. The silver ranges from halfcrowns, florins, shillings, sixpences and threepences. There was also a 50% silver decimal 50c coin untill 1966. Although I have several of these I have never found one with a detector. Some are lucky enough to find the odd gold sovereign, but my best has been a gold $15 coin which is 1/8 oz. This coin is really an uncirculated coin and I found it in a sandpit.

Went out gold hunting today. No real gold but found 3 lumps of lead painted gold by some idiotic prankster.

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread