Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: WHITE'S VISION METAL DETECTOR

Visual displays are a tool.

I got into this hobby with a tone only machine...one tone or pitch, however you wish to describe it.
I learned to understand what that sound told me. Was it crisp, repeatable, faint, loud, dull, crackly, one way...etc.
After time, your brain has these sounds imprinted, you interpret them based on experience. But...I still dug lots of trash.

Fast forward to the 6000Di Pro...same exact tone, single pitch..but add an analogue display. A needle points to a probable type of target. That simply verified what my ears were already telling me. I still dug lots of trash. Maybe not as much iron as I used to, but still pulled bottle caps and pulltabs.

With the DFX, I used the single tone. Couldn't stand all the varying pitches squawking in my ears. I don't think my finds significantly changed from the 6000 so I sold it after a year. Was an expensive back-up machine.

Now I got the Vision. I'm trying the varying tone but it just grates my senses. Years of a single tone...guess I'm old and stubborn.
But....the visual display is quite an advanced tool. Combine that with what my ears are already telling me....I can already see I'm digging even less trash.

I don't detect with my eyes glued to the screen....I wait til my ears tell me there may be something. The display is now telling me that the quarter I was going to dig is a bottle cap......or really a quarter... :thumbsup:

Folks just getting into detecting find the varying pitch their main source of info, and that's great for them. They may even have an edge over my technique...but I'm happy with the way I've detected in the past and continue to detect now. That's all that really counts...being happy. :)

Al

JG

Nov 15, 2006

Thanks Al.

Well I think I learned something in reading the manual on the new machine, v3.

Prospecting mode accepts VDI values from -20 to +95. Now this is acceptable to know, but I wish it was in the MXT manual somewhere, what values to look for in detecting gold. Trial by fire! A very expensive trial too.
The small numbers and negative indicate small gold, but also trash. I have heard of folks finding nuggets that were 0 or negative VDI. I wonder how much gold was passed up on that fact alone. A good VDI is 24 or higher and you can see if the target did not give a good VDI, it could have been mistaken for iron. Remember that if you go prospecting or are in an area that small gold items can be found. Here is one advantage for the new v3 in being able to further evaluate a target with a three frequency check.
For us MXT owners, it is confirmation of what targets while prospecting should be looked into.

The irregular nature should be obvious on the scope along with the size for accurate ID. Just guessing here.

While fence sitting on getting the v3, I guess I will see what the nugget hunters do with the machine this summer. To be honest, I never liked the +/- VDI range., and wraparound VDI is still a mystery. I like an absolute zero reference in VDI. I also had the handicap of learning the nature of a good target and what values to look for. The MXT is not the best small gold machine but works great where sizeable targets can be found. I expect the v3 to perform better of course to the MXT in detecting the small gold that is typical and responds better at the higher frequency. So there should be more and frequent small gold recovered with the v3. I agree Al on the quarter vs. popcan information the v3 can give. That one feature alone on the scope (size) is going to be a treasure pleasure. Beaches have firepits and melted beer can fragments that can drive you nutz. I expect rings to give a trademark signature, based on their geometry. I think I can overlook the -VDI and wraparound,..if the targets I would use this machine on can be significantly and accurately evaluated.

The manual needs a branch diagram to indicate and teach features in relation to function. An expanded diagram on each page to show the path. Pathway diagrams are excellent ways to teach nested routines because the information (path) is eventually visualized. These diagrams make difficulty, a simplicity. The v3 is a computer with a screen. (now where is that file at and how do i get to it again?) Point being is that diagrams will communicate better for the inquisitive and establish the understanding of pathways for operation, faster. Am I alone in trying to visualize the features and their use as described in the manual?

JG
JG

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve Herschbach said:
Hi,

People are into all sorts of things. Some people are into Harley's. Some into snowmobiles. Some people want an RV, and the next person wants a boat. I own or want none of these things. I'm into metal detecting. In the world of big boy and girl toys metal detectors are darn cheap. I have a rotating inventory of around $10,000 in metal detectors and accessories. In the last couple years of high precious metal prices I've sold off some of my accumulated finds that has netted me more than that by a good margin. I'm money ahead on my metal detecting.

What other hobby can have me so into history by way of research, take me to locations far and wide on the hunt, meet interesting people, get good excercise, make exciting finds, all at a pretty low price and a potential I can actually make a buck at it?

I don't think most people need anything more than an MXT. Talk about bang for the buck. But for people like me for whom detecting is a life-long passion all I can say is bring on those big buck detectors. Just make sure they have compelling features I can't resist. The Vision does a few things I want that no other machine does, so I got the first one in Alaska. And darn glad I did!

Steve Herschbach

Trust me...the Vision is a LOT more cheaper than a Harley. I should know...I own one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread