sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: WHITE'S VISION METAL DETECTOR

you have to remember, on that other forum, if you go into a specific thread, they all brag about that particular machine, because they want others to help them feel good about the MD they bought.
time will tell how this MD does. people will either love it or bail on it.
however, everyone has their "machine" and will stick with what feels good to them.
It all depends on what you get used to using and how it reacts. It's like the old saying,
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Myself, I think I'm going to invest in one.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

Sniffer said:
you have to remember, on that other forum, if you go into a specific thread, they all brag about that particular machine, because they want others to help them feel good about the MD they bought.

Well said and very true.

And that 'phenomenon' applies to metal detectors, gun forums, car forums, cameras, computers, you name it.

Get what tickles YOUR fancy - the nay-sayers and detractors can go pound sand!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jim....I tired to answer your question as best possible about the straight line and size indication of the analyze screen for iron. When I get a little extra time, I'll try to take some pics for you...maybe this weekend if I dont have to work.

Someone else posted a question asking about White's PI. It's new too and a lot of folks were asking about it. The more I read about it, the less interested in it I became. It just wasn't suited for my all around needs.

Over the years, I've morphed from coin hinter to relic hunter, with the occasional beach hunter tossed in..(fresh water).
My main reason to changing hunting tactics was simply the amount of trash at most places I coin hunted and my increased interest in history.
With new tools, as the woods thicken and brush leafs out, I'll be more inclined to do more coinhunting again.

When I had my DFX, I was pulling old silver from heavily hunted areas but didnt like the stopping, changing settings, rebalancing and going again, only to discover I didnt like my new settings and having to stop again and do it all over. I had favorite settings saved but continued to attempt to improve performance.

I really, really like the working menu system and being able to change the most common settings that I changed in the DFX, but without having to stop with every minor tweek. Everything is at the touch of an arrow as you go.
There are pro options that you do need to get into the main menu for, but you can change them to default for easier access. I haven't explored that yet and will probably be a while til I do.....but I'll get there.

Al

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hey guys,,,, sorry been gone so long but I haven't been near a computer in a while, been swingin at the ground for the last couple of days and getting that itch that my wife knows could only spell money :wave: leaving my bank account. i am a minelab, a former tesoro, and former garrett owner. i am looking for a new detector and all of my research is pointing to the new vision. A friend of mine has had one for 1 week and is thoroughly impressed as was i. He pulled several dropped musket balls in one area and 1941 silver quarter at 7 inches in an old football field that had long played out. I am still trying to decide on the new xterra 705 or the safari, but I am liking the vision more every day....its wierd it used to be more than just these two companies that had a fighting chance against each other. Tesoro has not announced anything in a while, and garrett,, well stagnate. I still have till the middle of May, i am one not to go quickly and buy a machine....waiting....good luck all of the new vision owners and keep posting. GH

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know the feeling GH. , Took me a year to decide to buy the DFX. Don't ask me why I jumped on the Vision so quick.

I sold the DFX a few months ago and was checking out something else with no particular model or manufacturer in mind. Thought about the new PI but it just didnt seem to fit the bill.

I am definately going to pick up a smaller coil again for the vision. They say flat out you won't get the depth, but I do want something smaller for those really trashy areas. I'm sure you'll still get very good depth.

Al

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II

Hi, I picked up my Vision Monday, but due to all the rain here I didn't get a chance to try it out until today. I took it and my E-Track and did my metal garden which has some foil, nails, bolts, coins, a broken piece of 14K gold chain, and a 7gr. chunk of 18Kt gold. I thought the Vision did very well when compared to the E-Trac. In fact all my detectors have (to varying degrees) trouble picking up the chain which is down 3" to 4". The Vision hit on it right away. I found the Vision very user friendly and easy to learn compared to the E-Trac. While this morning's playtime was not scientific or controlled in any way, it was, for me, a "how does it feel" type of thing. My first impressions of the Vision are: I like it, it is relatively easy to understand and simple to use yet has the potentially to become my primary land detector. As I said, this was my first time out with the Vision and I am impressed; however, I still have to spend a lot more time using it before I can say anything definitive about the unit. BTW These videos were a great help in getting started: http://whiteselectronics.com/all-about-vision.html.

John

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My first couple times out were like that...play and see if I like it.

I think I'm going to like it a lot. Ordering the 4x6 Eclipse DD for it. That stock coil hits targets hard and fast and the places I was taking it are loaded with trash.
I was picking thru it for a few coins...but I think the potential with a smaller coil is something to anticipate. With the RX gain and being able to boost the transmit signal, I'm thinking it will compensate for the 4x6 being a smaller coil.

I was wondering if the excellerator coils work on it. I think someone mentioned it somewhere but can't remember.

I had the excellerator 5" DD for my dfx but didnt use it much in the areas I was detecting.

Al

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II

I haven't seriously looked at loops for the Vision. What I did find out, however, is that there are a number of coils that will work. It is just that many can't handle the Tx boost. I think one of the other things to consider is the frequency response of the coil. How does the loop behave at 2.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz , and 22.5 kHz? Is it the same as the stock coil? In my mind a coil can "work", but its response curve can result in distorted signal information. These are two of the things I will look at when I decide to pick up extra coils for the Vision.

John

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

from what I've read, the same coils that work on the DFX and MXT will work on the Vision as long as the coil has a "V"
stamped by the connection to the rod

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi,

All DFX and MXT coils will work on the Vision, whether there is a V stamped on them or not. However, coils that are not tweaked for the Vision (that is what the V stamp indicates) may not work with TX Boost or max gain levels. But for normal use you will see no difference.

The Bigfoot works for VDI numbers are skewed higher than normal.

Steve Herschbach

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Hi Steve, Thanks for the information. I am trying to get a better understanding of the coils and their limits when used with a Vision. If you don't mind, what do you mean when you say normal use? I understand why Tx Boost could not be used with some coils; however, for the coils that you mention, do you know if the response curves are close to that of the Vision coil across the frequency range and that is why there should be no noticeable difference?

John

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi John,

Per Bob at White's:

"With the older coil the only thing you might give up is not being able to use transmit boost or a real high Rx gain of something like 14 or 15 . They will work fine as long as they don't overload and if they do you will get the overload tone and then you will know to turn the Transmit Boost off or turn the Rx gain down some. Other than that they will work just fine."

and

"We will tune them to a tighter specification so it will handle all three frequencies with Transmit Boost on, and so that it will not overload with a high Rx gain."

My 4"x6" Shooter DD (old coil) worked just fine with TX Boost and high gain. So it is not a given that older coils will have a problem with this. TX Boost offers only a little gain in depth in lower mineral ground and can work against you in higher mineral ground. It also really cuts battery life. So when I say normal use I mean just that. TX Boost is not something people will use all the time.

Steve Herschbach

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Again thanks for your feedback. You have been a great help in confirming much of what I had thought. I often wonder why the use of Tx boost when it is usually more efficient to increase the sensitivity of the receiver to increase range (depth?). But then I am getting into the design rational, and I don't think this is the place for it. Have a great day!

John

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008

i'm curious to know if the firmware/software can be updated via the wireless function or is this strictly for headphone use? this would certainly be a treat for adding customizable icons, farts and burps for trash items, change jingling for good targets, maybe even download your favorite pics of certain coins in your collection(or someone elses) and set them for specific sine wave patterns, with a degree of variability of course. whites could even set up a download site and charge a nominal fee for the newest updates/upgrades. my imagination gets away at times.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi,

John, TX Boost is just another on many options you have access to with the Vision. The idea seems to be to give you direct access to as many functions of the machine as is possible. For some people this is overwhelming and even unwise if things are adjusted without knowing what they do. Too much gain or boost can be a bad thing, but some people just assume more is better.

But for someone like me it is like being able to designing my own detector. All the tools have been provided for me to program the Vision to best suit my needs.

Steve Herschbach

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well...back to the coil question.

I ordered a shooter (4x6 DD) and got a call today from the dealer that it doesn't work on the Vision. He said the guy at White's tested it today just to make sure before shipping it out and it gave him all kinds of outrageous readings....dimes at 92, quarters at 94..etc.
They gave me the number for the distrubitor in Harrisburg and I talked to the rep. He said they tweeked them but the shooter was the only one that wasn't working on it. Everything else does.

Mineralization isn't that big of an issue here so I ordered the 5" round coil.

Maybe it was that particular coil or maybe the Vision...or maybe the newer Shooters aren't going to work without more tweeking. I would have prefered the Shooter...same price and better technology I think, being the DD design. But I am ready to get rolling with this machine.

Found a real nice silver cross with it the other day in a park that had it's share of can slaw and the analyze screen made it easy to pick out. The VDI numbers were very close. It was the blue wave on top versus the red line on top...pretty cool and shows the true purpose of this application. Both were showing approximate same target sizes on the slaw and the cross. There was a small bit of iron encrusted on the cross.

But anyhow...just want to save someone any grief they might experience if ordering a smaller coil. I'm glad the guy at White's tried it out before he shipped it.

Al

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RigDean said:
i'm curious to know if the firmware/software can be updated via the wireless function or is this strictly for headphone use?

The wireless is for headphones and for transferring user settings. It cannot be used to update the firmware.

- Carl

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Al,

I'd have to think it was just that particular Shooter coil. My old MXT Shooter coil runs just fine on my Vision, and in fact I can even use TX Boost with it.

Steve Herschbach

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hard to say Steve.
Got a email from White's on the 10th stating that the Shooter's made before the 10th of April may or may not work on the Vision. They weren't specifically made to accept the 22.5 frequency...thus...some work, some don't. I'm guessing that upper range was just a hair off that gave rise to some working and some not.

They are making a new Shooter and it should be out in a couple weeks. It's designed to work in all 3 frequences without a problem. The letter said to make sure you ask for the Vision Tuned Shooter.

I ran the 5.3 Eclipse the last couple days on the Vision. Was overloading bad yesterday on basic settings and had to turn the gain down to 2 to quiet it down...I think I lost lots of depth...only found one shallow dime. Maybe too much mineralization???

Today it worked great. Found a couple old pennies, under powerlines, with gain at 6, about 6-7" deep. Different park, different soil....

But still missing a lot of stuff.....put the 10 inch back on definately a big difference in depth.

Al

JG

Nov 15, 2006

Got so far in to these posts and I just had to say what a great conversation you guys had at the beginning of a new machine.

Here is an Awesome quote below By Captn_ about how you get your senses tuned and detuned by focus. Tone is King ( but I like the sexy screen on the V3. and the new way some of old information is presented). Every variable could be translated to a tone, same with depth, same with any number within the engineering range. But now we can see like a technician on a bench with a scoped view, what the electronics is responding to. I wonder how many technicians and engineers thought it would be cool to have what they know on the screen to be in the field?
It reminds me of a brand of radio some engineers were told,...that they could build the radio of their dreams. Oh my what a radio they made! It was the Rolls Royce of consumer portable all-band radios! To an electronic type, it was truly breathtaking. Simple pleasures.

Well it looks like this is more a detector that a technician or engineer would have if they they had their choice of interpreting targets. 20 years ago it would have taken a whole test bench of instruments and a few runarounds to even come close to some of the features that weighs,...? This scope feature is no dog and pony show guys, this is the real thing that along with tone will give you more information, better. Our mind communicates in visual ways. Even for the blind.

This is awesome!
"However, the tone will always remain true no matter what depth. The tone will be much fainter on a deeper target, but it will always have the same pitch for the various conductive metals in the ground."
I agree. As we get more information we listen less to the audio. Listening is very important and foundational.
TV came after radio and radio was and still is awesome!
Cheers,
JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread