N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
Re: WHITE'S VISION METAL DETECTOR

Still think theres alot of good machines out on the market by many other makers with fantastic depth for $350-$700 range. And in the right hands can be just as good at depth. Never been much for being 1st on the block to buy the so called hottest item anymore.

I'd like to see inperson and how it really does in the dirt and amongst other machines. Compare it side by side on targets. Don't really need a graph or readout since most of the time readout isn't accurate on superdeep targets, the audio responds better than readout, just dig it when your machine talks to you. I don't need to analyze it before I dig it. If I'd of bet on what my readout said then I'd of missed some deep shells, and nice plates.

I'm a big supporter of Whites.See the pic below.Dug it with a used $400 Spectrum. I dug that buckle in 2000, its in Whites add of April 2000, even got some goodies from them for the pic. It was around 16"-18" down and about 12". I hit remnants of a carpet bag with iron lock in a gulley that had been beat to death for 20 years. The meter read iron. When I pulled out the metal frame to the bag and got the coil in there it then read brass high on the readout. I'd of missed it if I'd of analyzed it and walked off. The Sectrum XLT is just a bada$$ machine for relics.

Whites makes fine machines and it'll be tough for them to top the Spectrum XLT. Thats just a fine machine for bucks and they can be had reasonably. I can honestly say my Best Find was with a Whites. Maybe with everyone flocking to the Vision you'll see some Spectrums and MXT's in the classifieds. I hope someone around here buys one so I can compare it. I'll let them be the guineapig. If the sucker slices bread then we'll just have to get one, but it'll have to follow behind some darn fine machines.

Whitesadd.jpg

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jim_K said:
deepskyal said:
Yep...ordered mine today and should have it by Wednesday...about 10% off list. :thumbsup:

Al
Were are all of you getting these Visions from you don't say tell us or are you all full of BS ????

Yes, I got mine last Wednesday thru my local dealer...minus user manual and DVD. The machine was ready before final print of the manuals. Check out the other vision post. There's plenty of info on White's website to get anyone started til they come out.

I had a DFX so this comes fairly easy to me to use, but it has some superior features.
JR in Hohenwald TN. said:
$1600 is too much for any metal detector. Think hard about it, $1600... I've been digging for a long time and every maker comes out with the "Detector to have". Every year or so.
Its very pretty and gives you a really nice colored LCD with a graph. But in the end..You dig it whether you have a pretty color graph or cordless headphones. And you have to walk over it . Its priced on all that "future treasure you could dig". Almost like speculating. Theres not $1600 worth of material there.

All the machines produced in the USA or imported are subject to limitations on transmitting power. They're only allowed so much power. I like whites machines but in the end the Spectrum XLT in my book is their best and affordable.
I believe the Vision is just a cliche with alot of bells and whistles not needed and theres alot of machines out there that can match it in depth. I've seen too many people run out and buy the so called hottest detector and get rings run around them with machines costing 1/3 of the fancy ones.

Don't get me wrong,I like Whites machines. I wore out 3- 5900's relic hunting and a Spectrum. I out dug in quantity and depth against Minelabs costing twice as much with them. Some of the best finds out there have been done with Fisher's and lesser costing machines.

I know, I know, they'll sell some for this crazy $1600 and those buyers will swear by them. They have to, they have to justify the price they spent. It's just like another SuperDetector that hit the market years ago, remember those,they sold for$1500-$2000. Whats going to make them feel really bad is when little Johnny pops in with his Tesoro Vaquero and digs circles around them. Pick a good affordable machine and get proficient with it. I seen kids with Garrett Groundhogs dig Barber dimes at 8". They are persistant and work with it constantly because its all they can afford.

Remember: The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up.

+++++This is my take on this new Vision and I hope not to offend anyone who buys it or who has the extra money to toss around right now. I'd let them hit the market and float around for a year. They'll come down in price like the Ipod did and it'll give everyone a chance to see a real field test in person and not a magazine review. I'd like to see it square off against the Spectrum or a top of the line Garrett, Minelab or Tesoro.

I said the same thing years back when the White's 6000Di Pro came out. Don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but at the time it was pricy to me...700-800 bucks. Now......20 years later, the DFX came out. I waited a few years before I bought one.
After using it for a year, I sold it. Wasn't finding much different stuff than what I was getting with my 6000.

I'll tell you...there is a lot more trash in some places than ever before.

Now with the Vision, it's a whole different way to discriminate. It is a lot more user friendly, in my opinion, than the DFX. No more stopping to make adjustments and a lot more info on what your target is. I don't do CW hunting and in quite a few places, I like being able to minimize how much trash I dig. I do a lot of relic hunting which I may even use my 6000 for, but when weeds and brush are so thick you need a machette to cut thru it, I go to coin shooting. I really don't like digging can slaw, tin foil and pulltabs.

Like Steve was pointing out and as my user name implies, I was into astronomy and paid some pretty big bucks for a telescope. It was computer controlled. I could have spent less than half of what I did for a scope that would have seen just as much, but the features weren't there, no auto-tracking of stars, no auto focus, no object library with a go-to ability.

Now I'm back fulltime detecting, I just bought a detector that will do what I had hoped the DFX would do. Just give me a better idea what's in the ground. How many times do you get that dollar signal or quarter signal and dig and dig, only to go a foot deep for a bottle cap or beer can? Too many times for me.

I work, sometimes 7 days a week at a very physical job, outdoors, with all the weather that's associated with Western Pa. I want my hobby to be enjoyable for the limited time I have.

Read my posts of my first uses with it. I give my honest assesment on it, not some glorified report. If it turns out not to be what I want, I'll sell it too and stick with my 6000. Thru my dealer, I got about 10% off list and didnt get the headphones. That was an unneeded expense for me. Some others may want it.

I already like it more than the DFX...but I'm giving it the time it deserves to learn it, which seems simple if you know how to read.
And if you do read my posts, you'll see I do need time to learn it. Not going to learn every feature using it just a few times. I think the 1425 plus tax isn't asking to much for the technology that's involved and I wouldn't expect the price to go down on this unit, unless you buy it used a couple years from now.

Al

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I've been doing pretty good with my DFX, but the sine wave pattern is an awesome way to determine if I should dig or not. the additional features available on the vision brings into line with some of the other top end MD's

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes I've done very good with my DFX as well.. Just look at the most recent finds in "Today's Finds" and you'll see what I mean.

But the possibility of going gold prospecting and then go coin shooting appeals me.
It should do better then the DFX for prospecting, at least in theory. :thumbsup:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't get why everyone is so excited about the sign waves?
Isn't that what multi FREQ detectors are doing already hence the gold ICON or quarter ICON ETC ETC?
If a gold ring ICON pops up the machine must be hitting the GOLD freq so why would you need a sign wave to tell you this?

Sniffer said:
I've been doing pretty good with my DFX, but the sine wave pattern is an awesome way to determine if I should dig or not. the additional features available on the vision brings into line with some of the other top end MD's

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

because most gold rings up the same as foil

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sniffer said:
because most gold rings up the same as foil

Correction... Pull tabs. :thumbsup:

GreenMeanie,
No they don't the icons etc is the result of the computer in the detector calculating the conductivity of the target with help of the time phase. (Meaning the time between signal sent and signal received)
Higher conductive targets often react faster then a low conductor.

The sine wave is to help tell target size and possible composition.
As it shows all three freq. you get three references, most multi freq machines only show one reference for info.

...I think I got that right, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I think you got that about right

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

The sine wave is to help tell target size and possible composition.

From what I gathered after looking at many different sign waves from the Vision from another Treasure forum, the only thing you get that's worthwhile from the sign wave patterns is the size of your target. Maybe you can avoid digging cans or other larger items by looking a the width of the waves. :icon_scratch:

The sign waves are not any more helpful than a VDI # for telling you the exact composition of your target. No detector on the market can give you exact composition of your target. Once you know typical VDI's of your targets, you will see that the sign waves are just mimicking what the VDI says. On the Vision, it seems that VDI's of targets from mid 50's to as high as 70 will always show the 7.5 Khz frequency as the tallest wave. And for VDI's higher than 70 or so, the 2.5 Khz frequency wave will always be the tallest. And for VDI's below mid 40's, the 22.5 Khz frequency will be the tallest wave. Whites just designed some nice graphical software to make folks say, "WOW!", and it looks like they will entice quite a few potential buyers with this, but in reality, it's only the size feature that makes those sign waves marginally useful.

Tone is King. Decide to dig by tone/depth of your object, not by fancy images.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

Dan, you're not making sense, considering you use a detector that not only tells depth, but also likely target.
are you telling everyone you hunt by tone only??
If you look at the VDI's on the vision, the VDI could be an 84 Which could be a quarter or a beer can. according to what I've seen and read about the vision, if it was a can, the sine wave pattern would show the 7.5 Khz as being high,
where, if it was a quarter, the 2.5 Khz would be higher.
now I don't know about you, but it sure would make it easier, to have a relative idea about what your digging.
I mean I dig everything with a good repeatable tone.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's right sniffer...I couldn't tell you how many dollar signals, +95 on the DFX and dug...good, solid, repeatable sound with a dollar icon...to find a beer can or other chunk of iron.

Same with quarter/bottle cap...solid signal...dig,dig,dig....rings/pulltabs.....all very close with repeatable signals and if you disc out you miss rings...turn up bottle cap reject and lose good stuff...

I started this hobby with a TR machine and dug everything...I had my time with that. I got quite used to tone machines. No VDI numbers, no display of any kind.

I'm beginning to dislike calling it a sine wave simply because if you hit a large iron object, you get straight lines across the screen...no sinewave at all.

And when you're bouncing around with VDI numbers, a lot of targets I hit, the number varied with the swing, like bouncing from +72 to +78 on a deep object...what is it for sure? Penny? dime? chunk of can slaw?
You don't know til you dig.
Now...you got that newer ID system that helps zero in on the compsition and can slaw now becomes obvious.

It is a great feature and the demonstrations on line do it no justice til you actually get out in the field and see it in action.

Plus...on the main display, the 3 bars help id'ing too.....plus the depth reading as you go, so all these combines make for an almost perfet ID system. I did say ALMOST...so don't jump on me for it. Perfect would be a holographic display of whatever is in the ground...but I dont see that in this century.

Al

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

it may not be perfect, but I think it outclasses most of the other detectors out there

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Dan, I have to second what Sniffer said.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Sorry guys. I don't mean to intrude here. I was a big Whites endorser, using their machines since I was in my teens. I still have my 6000 Di Pro, which is a great analog unit, but since purchasing a newer machine a couple of years ago, I never knew how many more old coins were in my local parks hiding next to or underneath trash targets, and also beyond the 6" mark. Since '07, I have recovered over 1000 silver coins in my local parks. After hunting for many hours and days over the past two years(I'm semi-retired, so I'm able to detect a lot more than the average person), I have been able to create a deadly hunting style to find what I'm looking for. For me, it's all about tone of the target. I don't want to watch bouncing VDI #'s or bouncing ID displays, which is what they will do on deeper targets and targets next to trash. Technology has really progressed in the past 10-15 years with respect to detectors, but what really hasn't progress is the accuracy of all those fancy screens/numbers for the deeper targets. The deeper the target is, the more inaccurate your numbers/screens will be. However, the tone will always remain true no matter what depth. The tone will be much fainter on a deeper target, but it will always have the same pitch for the various conductive metals in the ground.

Dan, you're not making sense, considering you use a detector that not only tells depth, but also likely target.
are you telling everyone you hunt by tone only??

Before I bought my Explorer in '07, I never knew what a variability tone machine was. I never knew there were detectors that would give you a different pitch in tone based on the conductivity of an item.

The biggest factor that has given me so much success with my machine in the last two years has been to hunt by tone. Success means something different to different hunters looking for different items in the ground. Some look for Civil War items, some look for gold jewelry. I'm an old coin enthusiast. My success is based on how many more old coins(silver or copper) I can find that have been previously missed/overlooked from parks in the S. Cal area. Over 75% of the silver coins I've been finding in my local parks have many trash targets that are near, or right on top of a silver coin. If I was solely looking at my Target ID screen or my Conductive or Ferrous number readings to tell me to dig or pass up a target, I'd be passing up quite a few targets that would be potentially old silver/copper coins. But, if you can hear a higher pitch tone mixed in with all the trashy, low tone targets, you know you should be digging regardless of what the bouncing VDI #'s/target ID's are telling you. To me, the tone will be the most accurate indicator to tell me what to dig or not. There's more you can understand about a target with regards to the tone than just the pitch(high or low) of the tone. You have to be aware of the faintness of the tone(weak or strong), and also the way the tone sounds over targets when you swing over it repeatedly. Since I'm not looking for any buried caches in my local parks, my target items(coins/trash/nails) that I pass over the most are on the smaller side.

Buried aluminum cans don't bother me much here in S. Cal. I've dug a few deep ones thinking I had a deep coin, but in general they have a much larger size when you sweep over them. Until someone can make a detector that can either show exactly what's in the ground before you dig it, or can tell you the difference between gold and aluminum in the ground, tone will be my most important feature in determining whether I'm going to dig a target or not.

I wish all of you much success with your new machines. I hope you will be able to use all of the features to your advantage, whatever treasure you're looking for. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Dan,
Your main argument seems to be depth. Now depth is by far not the only thing that makes a good detector. :icon_scratch:
If your in a heavily hunted place, it is important, I'm not so I don't worry a great deal about depth.

As for disc, yes it does get iffy after a certain depth, that goes for all detectors.
Learning what to look for when it's iffy and you can squeeze a little extra. :thumbsup:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know what you are saying also Dan. You say you didnt know about the variable tone machines...but now you love it. It's a new type of discrimination we didnt have years back. With the DFX, it did open up new finds. Seems like my first couple times out with it I was digging silver rosies everyone else walked over with their older machines. But I still dug a fair amout of bottle caps and can slaw.

Now White's has bumped it up one more notch....maybe a couple notches.

I was out for a little this afternoon playing and was digging a lot of junk...just to see what the analyze sceen was telling me. Every quarter signal, (one tone, not variable) was accurately Id'ed in the analyze mode 100% of the time. It was bottle caps.
Yes, the variable tone also gave that lower range beep. Not the high pitch of silver.

I personally don't like the variable tones...it hurts my ears. I went for a bit in the deep silver program which in the basic setup has the variable tones and I got lots of false signals in a high pitch range. But in analyze, it correctly Id'ed signals as what I'm thinking is an aluminum bottle cap (wasnt showing a quarter vdi like most others). The VDI numbers also locked in on a whole different number to correctly Id it.

This area was quite trashy and one I've worked before.
I did find pennies and a dime. But this was a play session to see how accurate the analyze mode was...and it was right on.

This is telling me that I can dig a lot less trash than ever before and not lose depth or discrimination. I still use my ears first, then I look at the screen to get a better idea of what it is...then I can analyze it for a final digging decision. I'm feeling pretty confident right now that this is definately a machine that's going to be hard to beat.

I'll still be digging a lot of unwanted stuff for months to come until I have total faith in the machine. Iffy signals that are deep are going to be dug until I know after repeated trials that this signal is junk every time.

And of course, I still use basic skills of Id'ing that are just common sense. Strong silver signal...lift the coil to see how loud it still is inches above it, how far from center am I still getting a signal, etc.

It is takes time and patience to master our skills and an added tool is always welcome.

And just my 2 cents on tones. Back when I started, that's all we had to rely on. One pitch for everything. But you learned how to recognize what that pitch was telling you by volumn, length of tone and how it reacted to various targets.
My first 4 machines were single tone but the last couple were progressively better with the analog meters.

The DFX, used in single tone, was not what I was used to. All signals seemed quite strong and I was digging more trash...but the machine was going deeper and giving me a pretty good idea what it was. I tried variable tones but it hurt my ears and I just plain couldnt take all the noise.

The tones are the same in the Vision but I learned to compensate somewhat for the differences from my old machines. I still like my 6000 pro...dont think I'll ever give that one up...I just got to realize technology advances and I need to advance along with it to find the less available old silver amongst all the additional trash.

Al

May 10, 2008
memphis, tn
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, TEJON, XCAL 2

do you think that "field tester" over on find mall is ever gonna say anything negative about the new 1700 dollar gimmick from whites,,,,,,ive seen a vision relic hunt several times and ive seen tejons and 1266s run circles around it,,,,,,im saving my money

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

marinecorpsgrunt said:
do you think that "field tester" over on find mall is ever gonna say anything negative about the new 1700 dollar gimmick from whites,,,,,,ive seen a vision relic hunt several times and ive seen tejons and 1266s run circles around it,,,,,,im saving my money
Donno about you but it's very new, wait until there are some experienced users out there.
Also, Tejons and 1266's are a different line of machines all together; they are more lined towards relic hunting.
The Vision seems to be a "all round" machine.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

I am definitely curious to see further field tests from the average user over the coming months. I could never afford the Vision, nor would my wife even consider it, so I just like to read everyone's impressions of it. I have no ill will towards White's by any means, but after checking out FindMall and their blatant propoganda for the Vision, it did kind of put me off. You definitely could tell who was a major sponser for that site after some of the posts I read in the Vision forum...especially posts about banning comparison testing. I still am interested in the results from everyone though. My well off friends, let us know how you are doing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread