Whites XLT Question...Wanting to buy one...but need some questions answered 1st

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
Ok...I have had a couple of metal detectors growing up and as an adult...nothing fancy mind you...all were the old whites types that if you know how to use...ie. setting the 4000 knobs to just the right settings...you might find something other then pull tabs and nails....I was never very successful at setting the knobs up right...didn't really understand groundbalancing...etc...still don't!

Heres my question...I have been interested in the Whites XLT for a couple of years...I was just waiting for the price to drop a little.
I think that I am almost ready to take the plunge but I want to see if someone...anyone...can answer a couple of questions for me regarding the Whites XLT capability.

I know the unit has a couple presettings built into it...ie. coins, relics,...and I think there is at least one or two more....
I also know that you have the ability to alter and or create custom settings.

My question is this: As it pertains to the factory presets. If I put it in "Coin" preset mode and went searching....how well does it find coins??? Does it find garbage in this mode as well....if so is it prone to finding more coins than garbage????

I really don't want to fork out the cash for one of these things if its going to turn out to be another 4000 knob, figuring out how to set it, always diging up more garbage then goodys type thing.

Someone please give me a little more insite on how effective the "Preset" modes of this detector are.

Thanks,
Dave from Joplinopolis

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hey Dave, go to the Whites web site and down load the instruction manual. Not only will it answer some of your questions, it will give you an idea how the machine works. I printed it out and studied it for a month before I bought the XLT. I run the factory programs and cant help but dig everything so I find lots of junk :D, good luck.

kenb

OP
OP
M

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
I read the manual a little at the web site however what I really want to know that I can't really determine by the manual so far is this,

In the "Preset" modes such as "Coin" mode...is the unit still detecting other things...and if so...how much....that "Preset" factor was one of my main enticements regarding this model...and if its "Crap" so to speak...I don't know that an XLT is the one for me.....Hahahaha that rymmed.

In Coin mode is it fairly easy to determine coin from not coin????

B

Brush Creek

I owned a XLT and used it every day. It took a few months before I knew for sure it was a dime, quarter or penney. the more I used it the better I got. If you buy a detector and use it 30 min a month and keep it in your closit. there all the same. but if used and learned they are a handy tool to find coins and stuff. I use a old Eagle ll sl. But I learned on a XLT.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the discrimination as a mostly setting, not an absolute.

The XLT's Coin program with find mostly coins, but some other items as well. No detectors discrimination can be 100% accurate.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
So far this year I have 4 gold rings one appraised at 2200.00 , 3 silver rings, 3 silver bracelets, one 14K chain 10.6g, 200.00 in clad, and about 7 pounds of pulltabs and other junk beer caps bits here and there. The fact is the most successful hunters dig and dig more. Dan

jtnjetta

Jan 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Vaquero, golden Umax,Compadre
Re: Whites XLT Question...Wanting to buy one...but need some questions answered

I know if you put it in coin/jewelry mode you won't pick up nails, and such, but you will pick up pull tabs and aluminum cans.

But keep in mind that pull tabs,nickels and some GOLD are all on the same wave length if you will. Meaning if you take out the pull tabs in you discrimination you may take out the GOLD as well'

With the XLT if you learn you VDI numbers and don't rely so much on the icons you can almost tell pull tab or coin.

Myself I don't want to miss the GOLD so I dig it all!! Plus when I come back it's less trash to deal with.

That being said the XLT is a GREAT machine you will love it!!

H.H.

2 many Hobbies

Mar 8, 2007
Westchester New York
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT pro,Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 350, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Whites XLT Question...Wanting to buy one...but need some questions answered

The XLT has many different settings. Some times I have to look in the manual to remember what each setting is for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread