Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just wondering how many have come and gone from this site since it's earliest days? Can you recall their user names?

How long have you been a part of this detecting/treasure hunting forum (counting all the times you cancelled out and returned)?

What are some of your POSITIVE memories?

How long does it take for an account to be closed once that has been requested?

Please share!

Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Badger, I signed up for t net a few years ago but didnt start actively posting on it til last year, while I do read several forums this really is the only one I post on as I find to be the most friendly with out the flame wars. I hope it never gets that way as I have seen other forums lose focus over what is important. This is a good forum especially for the newbie
hh
dave+bobbie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
I know of a man in California who digs stuff that no one would believe on this forum. He is known by those who sometimes buy his finds (such as myself). This man digs 17th century gold Spanish coins on a regular basis. And he does this in southern California on farm lands.

People like this rarely will come to sites like this simply because they don't need them. And too, they don't want to offer any tip that may lead competition to their secret hunting areas.

I'v been Contemplating this same thing for awhile now.

and have wondered if maby some of these people who find awsome finds in awsome condition regularly ar B.S.'ing us for good reason.

Do you know a Better way to show off a Cache of coins, found in a Mason jar or other container in an open forum.
Then to Claim your finding them 2 or 3 at a time.

If found in a container they would look undug.

and Possably put too much attention on you, if posted as a Whole.

Just a Thought.
Jeff

Personally,
I thought about this & If I found a Cache though, I'd post it, but name a Place I can Prove I'v never been.
This way if Uninvited Guests Arrive, I can say "I Made it all up to get attention on the Forums" and even offer to post I made it up.

This is why, even if someone on here appeared to come clean,
I'd wonder if they were Covering their tracks.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
Michigan Badger said:
I know of a man in California who digs stuff that no one would believe on this forum. He is known by those who sometimes buy his finds (such as myself). This man digs 17th century gold Spanish coins on a regular basis. And he does this in southern California on farm lands.

People like this rarely will come to sites like this simply because they don't need them. And too, they don't want to offer any tip that may lead competition to their secret hunting areas.

and have wondered if maby some of these people who find awsome finds in awsome condition regularly ar B.S.'ing us for good reason.

Do you know a Better way to show off a Cache of coins, found in a Mason jar or other container in an open forum.

Just a Thought.
Jeff

Personally,
I thought about this & If I found a Cache though, I'd post it, but name a Place I can Prove I'v never been.
This way if Uninvited Guests Arrive, I can say "I Made it all up to get attention on the Forums" and even offer to post I made it up.

Good comments Jeff.

You may be right about the coin posts.

But when it comes to this site in general, I always try to remind myself that this site is mainly for entertainment with an added bonus of some good pieces of information from time to time.

This is mostly for fun and nothing on here should be taken too seriously. I've been an avid reader of this site for years and it's quite interesting to see the different personally types who post here. Everything from General Patton types to snotty nosed cocky brats...it's an interesting ride. ;)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
jeff of pa said:
Michigan Badger said:

Just a Thought.
Jeff

Personally,

You do not need to reveal what you have found MDing on the forums to participate if secrecy is desired.. I have many hundreds of posts on this forum yet never have I posted a MD find here or elsewhere. It is just reflects one's personality. Why are you here on the MD forums? To show off your finds? Gather knowledge? Like being socialable with fellow hobbyists? Want to vent your political anger? TN has forums for all of these activities. You have to remember there is a large group of successful as well as unsuccessful MD users who are just not involved in MD forums. It is just not their cup of tea.

Do you really think that a person that eagerly posts a couple of silver coins from time to time on a MD forum could ever restrain themself to not post a small coin cache find? Folks post their finds on forums for a number of reasons and I guess receiving attention is at the top of the list. A few folks need a LOT of attention.

Regarding spectacular finds- What's real and what is an illusion? Lots of scams out there involving real gold in counterfeit situations. Bogus individual as well as hoard finds are plentiful and are created for attention or wealth.

Regarding the coming and going of members. I suspect a high percentage of TN members are newbies and as such a lot of folks drop in and drop out. So just a natural evolution of life here. I believe newbies are more comfortable here than on some other forums. The forums which post the most experienced users usually have an overabundance of egos and detector wars. Here you have a much wider variety of topics in which you can become silly if desired.

My 2 cents
George

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post, bakergeol.

I've often asked myself why I bother to post here and I know my enemies wonder about this. ;D

But seriously, Treasurenet has been a big help to me. I've gotten items identified here that others couldn't figure out. I've also received some helpful information that has helped me in my hunting. And too, I like to think that maybe I've help one or two others along the way.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Michigan Badger said:
I've often asked myself why I bother to post here and I know my enemies wonder about this. ;D... I've also received some helpful information that has helped me in my hunting. And too, I like to think that maybe I've help one or two others along the way.

Well said, Badger.

Same here.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA: Ego, comradship, exchange of stories, ideas, and especially the knowledge that you aren't the only crazy one living in past histories of inanimate objects of past peeps. And lastly the dream of hitting a big one some day, in spite of ---!

Tropical Tramp.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Seal. He was from New Zeland and was very interested in shipwrecks. Haven't seen a post from him in a long time.

Also, there was a fellow named the Nickel Professor. Have not heard from him in a while either.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only post on two sites.... this one and coinhunting.net...

I come here because I see all of these great finds and it keeps me motivated to go out and hunt as often as possible so I can get some goodies as well. And then I see posts where they don't find much, and that keeps me motivated as well because I go out pretty often and come home empty handed as far as quality finds go, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I post on coinhunting.net because most of the users there I know personally and hunt with them whenever we are free, so it's nice to get on there and brag to your buddies.... kind of like when you get a pretty girl's phone # and you need to tell someone about it who will get jealous... Us men and our egos, haha, shame on us!

I have only been detecting since last few months of 2005 and have been here since my first days of swinging the coil!

Keep up the great site guys! I'm lovin it!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I was actually here 6 or 7 years ago, but for whatever reason I didn't stay. Just recently I came back here on a whim, and I don't think you will be getting rid of me too easily.

I really enjoy seeing what others are finding, and I really do find that it motivates me to try harder at the hobby myself.

Thanks everyone!

trump

Nov 2, 2003
Merrillville,IN
I have been a member since 2003 but have not posted for ages and just returned a few months ago.
The reason I left was because of all the arguments on several of the detecting forums.It was so annoying that I just dropped out of all the forums .

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trump said:
I have been a member since 2003 but have not posted for ages and just returned a few months ago.
The reason I left was because of all the arguments on several of the detecting forums.It was so annoying that I just dropped out of all the forums .
you did not! ::)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fleamistress :'(

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Michigan Badger said:

Just a Thought.
Jeff

Personally,

Hey Jeff,

I'll tell you why people won't post big finds here. They don't want to get caught! Everybody knows Uncle Sam regularly scans TH Forums. He also has sophisticated data mining software. Somebody posts about finding $200,000.00 worth of bullion, that will get picked up. Doesn't matter what information they use in their profile. Every posters unique IP Address is registered on the website. If you look in the lower right corner of any of your own posts, you will see your IP Address next to the "Report to Moderator". This isn't a bad thing. Every time you enter a website, the site drops a cookie into your computer to help it load quicker the next time you go there. As it adds a cookie in your computer, it makes a note of your IP Address as well. Even if Marc or Jeff didn't want to turn over the information, if the Feds suspected you had illegally dug up $200,000, they could get a warrant and force them to give up your info.

So, it's really a twofold reason. First, is not to get caught. Second, is to keep Marc and Jeff out of a bad situation. There are only two ways I can think of. One way would be to drive to a distant state, use the computer in a hotel or library, sign up and post you find. The other would be to send a printed copy of the story and printed pictures physically to Marc or Jeff, and have them post it. Completely anonymous and untraceable.

Mike

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one reason many people use the library computers.

You're right gollum, never post anything on these sites that could be used against you or be used by thieves.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colin the cop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread