Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had to make a quick trip to Vegas to deal with some house stuff and on the way out of Reno stopped to fill up the tank. When I stepped out this was lying in front of the pump. It's a Benchmade model 154cm and sells for almost $250!
IMG_5379.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg

Probably won't get a chance to detect on this trip as it's well over 100 degrees everyday down here. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled I suppose!

Upvote 39

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had to make a quick trip to Vegas to deal with some house stuff and on the way out of Reno stopped to fill up the tank. When I stepped out this was lying in front of the pump. It's a Benchmade model 154cm and sells for almost $250!
View attachment 2092428 View attachment 2092429

Probably won't get a chance to detect on this trip as it's well over 100 degrees everyday down here. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled I suppose!
Well used, by the condition of the pocket clip. The blade is sweet tho and will hold an edge.
Nice find! 👍

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find, but I hope the person who dropped it didn’t leave it behind as evidence from a crime scene🤔

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye! I'm wondering why anyone would pay that sort of money for basically a pocket knife. Is it really that much better than a Buck, Schrade, or any number of other folding knives that are a fraction of the cost?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Good eye! I'm wondering why anyone would pay that sort of money for basically a pocket knife. Is it really that much better than a Buck, Schrade, or any number of other folding knives that are a fraction of the cost?
Yes and no. To a collector it’s worth that kind of money. If you want to cut rope, trim a hotdog stick, etc., then I’d say get a Kershaw or Gerber. Bucks hold an edge, but can be difficult to sharpen. I’m no fan of 440 stainless.
I consider the Benchmade to be a great find.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda, 154 cm steel is expensive, and yes it is a lot better than many other knife steels. Any knife you find with 154cm steel will be pricey. Schrade is long gone, Chinese made today, Buck 110 is OK but the Benchmade shown will outperform it. The small Buck folders are junk.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To steal a quote from Gary Drayton, you been using those "twin optical scanners" to great effect.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to tease my hunting buddy about carrying a pricey Benchmade until I watched him clean, skin and butcher a big old Muley with that knife without ever stopping to sharpen it.
I always went through 3 knives doing all that until I bought a $300 Boker ceramic. Good tools can definitely ease the work.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you're using one in a profession or hobby that needs you to have a great quality knife, it may be appropriate. I just can't see owning one that expensive to just rattle around in my pocket or tool box for the occasional need for one. I'd rather have a good quality multitool from Gerber or Leatherman. Heck, even the old Swiss Army knife is a better choice for me. Since you didn't have to buy it, it's a great find! :icon_thumright:

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009

Benchmade are good knives. Not cheap, but decent steel

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread