Who were they?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In her book "Life and Death at Windover" author and Bioarchaeologist Rachael Wentz makes what I think is an interesting statement. She, while discussing the DNA recovered from the water burials says that analyses shows the people of the Windover site were not related to any living Native American populations or any prehistoric groups yet sampled. She does say that DNA markers show they are linked to ancient Asian groups, but are not related to Native Americans. This was written in 2012 but I have not seen any research that updates these finds.
Remember this site is over 7 thousand years old and is an amazing find and study. I have often wondered why we don't hear more about the studies and research from Windover. They found intact brain matter and the continent's oldest textiles created on a loom. Water burials unlike anywhere else in the world. Why is more information not forthcoming I wonder? Sorry for the rant, it's hot outside so I'm just doing some reading.

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably off-topic but too funny & apt to pass on -

www.haaretz.com said:
Noble Energy, which holds the franchise for the Leviathan marine natural gas field, submitted a comprehensive environmental report to the Antiquities Authority before starting to drill in March 2016. The report included an appendix summarizing the underwater archaeological finds the company had discovered in a series of sonar scans. However, anyone who looks for this appendix will find only a white page with but a single word on it: Secret.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have read a lot about extinct races who once were supposed to live here in N America. I've read dozens of old news paper articles from the 1800's chronicling giant skeletons found in mounds callously dug in several states. This is all very interesting and I remember reading how in several instances museums including the Simsonian would collect these and were never heard from again. I would like to see physical evidence but alas I don't think it will ever come about. If true that DNA would be very interesting to learn about.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This a very inteersting subject to me. I'm like Kray Gelder in that I don't deeply understand it, but I do quite a bit of reading about the subject and related subjects. Thanks for a great duscussion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread