Whole day = $682.50

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the entire day (starting at 6:30 am) searching for stuff to sell. I hit 9 estate sales and 6 thrifts. Mostly focused on jewelry / PMā€™s.

Wrapped up at about a quarter to 4 and was totally whiped out.

19.3 grams 14k (mostly from a lady elgin 14k case and a very heavy 14k pearl and sapphire bar pin and a thin 14k white gold watch chain).
1.2 grams 10k
277 grams sterling scrap (mostly from a ten inch wallace sterling dish from thrift)

Hoping to get at least $550 on the scrap

Then I think Iā€™ll do $205 on the sellable jewelry less ebay/paypal and packing is $164

Then i got two whole sets of oneida community i hope to do $70 each on (at least) so again $140 less fees is $118

So $830 total for my net. Then at least $20 in gas, and 126 miles at fifty cents a mile is another $63. That leaves me with $767.00. I spent 84.50 on everything, so Iā€™m down to $682.50.

Happy w the result - but couldnā€™t do that every saturday.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517716523.591543.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone on here actually do this as a sole source of income? And I mean actually running around picking. Iā€™m involved with a jewelry business but I donā€™t go out and find the product like this.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I 'm semi-retired and live on what I make picking. Generally put in 40-60 hours a month and make enough to pay the bills & buy beer. I don't make near the money I did when I was a plumbing contractor but my knees/back thank me for it every day.

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't this about all that Beachkid does? It's my eventual goal. Not sure if I will ever get there.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. I love when a long day of effort pays off. I only hit one EstateSale this weekend I got 2ozt in scrap sterling jewelry for $1.

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where do you guys sell your scrap? I'm new to this. Do you have a certain pawn shop you trust or some other source?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If you want to get the most for your gold/silver you need a relationship with a refiner or large dealer. If you live in a big enough city there will be at least one place that pays within a few percent of spot. The hard part is figuring out which place & establishing a relationship because they pay more to frequent sellers. Most pawn shops pay between 30-50% in my area.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where do you guys sell your scrap? I'm new to this. Do you have a certain pawn shop you trust or some other source?

I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have been pleased with the process of selling my scrap to Midwest Refineries. I believe it was a post by Beachkid that first made me aware of them. I just ship them my scrap and get a check in the mail within a few days.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you shop around.... huge difference in what people will pay you... I'm in NY and send my Gold and Silver (that I buy) to Florida...

Arnold's Jeweler's , in Largo Florida.... they pay the best.. will contact you with a price and send a check... Check them out on line... they even have their prices on line daily, what they pay for silver and gold and silver coins...

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use NTR in texas and a small operation right here on 47th st. Depends on the item.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NTR does 98 on gold and 90 in sterling and up 80 on lesser silver and gold filled. But no value added for wearable pieces add they are horrible on diamonds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice part time business! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there's a lot of running around in the scrap trade. If you go to estate sales, what kind of competition are you up against?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days, I would have been classified as one of those pickers, these days I just go out and dig in the dirt.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have been pleased with the process of selling my scrap to Midwest Refineries. I believe it was a post by Beachkid that first made me aware of them. I just ship them my scrap and get a check in the mail within a few days.
I only sell to those who pay in cash or trade with no questions asked.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only sell to those who pay in cash or trade with no questions asked.

I can understand that. I would actually prefer to do things your way, because I hate having to pay shipping and insurance charges to mail scrap. Iā€™ll make a point to pop into a few of these ā€˜We Buy Goldā€™ places in my area and see what kind of percentage theyā€™re offering on silver.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I can understand that. I would actually prefer to do things your way, because I hate having to pay shipping and insurance charges to mail scrap. Iā€™ll make a point to pop into a few of these ā€˜We Buy Goldā€™ places in my area and see what kind of percentage theyā€™re offering on silver.

If you are shipping through USPS & buying insurance for precious metals you are wasting money. There are a bunch of regulations that apply when sending jewelry, sterling, and/or coins. Even if you comply with the regulations you have to be able to establish value through receipts or appraisals. As long as I'm posting, I'll also say I'm not a fan of Midwest either. Not going to get into reasons why other than to say I dealt with them in the past & there are much better alternatives.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are shipping through USPS & buying insurance for precious metals you are wasting money. There are a bunch of regulations that apply when sending jewelry, sterling, and/or coins. Even if you comply with the regulations you have to be able to establish value through receipts or appraisals. As long as I'm posting, I'll also say I'm not a fan of Midwest either. Not going to get into reasons why other than to say I dealt with them in the past & there are much better alternatives.

Thank you for the info. I was unaware that there was a burden of proof on my part when insuring precious metals. I naively assumed that if the package were lost by USPS, Iā€™d simply get the insured value reimbursed. Iā€™ll look into what you said before sending any more packages to the refiner. I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread