Why An Agent?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, here we go with yet another compelling question:

If the unknown author was really determined to cut his ties with the alleged story in the narration, as he suggest in that narration, then why use an agent? In 1885 it would have been relatively easy to have published under "anonymous" or even under a pen name, etc., so why an agent? Inquiring minds want to know.

Myself I believe the author used an agent because he was under age about 14 years old, worked as an apprentice at the print shop and his name W.W.W. BealeAd3.jpg

Well here is the proof of what I say ECS. Notice the person to contact at the bottom of the ads placed in the Lynchburg Newspapers.

Yours is only speculation. Do you have a document as evidence of your quote. Hearsay is not permitted in a court of law.

Last edited:
As mentioned by Adeline Ward McVeigh that her father was the author of the Beale Papers, James Beverly Ward distanced himself as author by applying for copyright with only the title claiming "authentic statements" alluding to an "unknown author" to keep himself indemnified from damages from those who bought the pamphlet and wasted fortunes seeking the fictional treasure.
To further promote this "distance", though not mentioned by name, Ward included himself into the narrative story as being contacted by this "unknown author", and of course, had the don't neglect one's legitimate business disclaimer included into the tale.
This way, Ward would be able to reap all the monetary benefits guaranteed by copyright and been held free from any and all lawsuits resulting from those who purchased the 50 cent pamphlet believing cipher solutions would lead to fabulous wealth.

Myself I believe the author used an agent because he was under age about 14 years old, worked as an apprentice at the print shop and his name W.W.W.

Well here is the proof of what I say ECS. Notice the person to contact at the bottom of the ads placed in the Lynchburg Newspapers.

Yours is only speculation. Do you have a document as evidence of your quote.
Hearsay is not permitted in a court of law.
Neither is speculation or assumption based on that newspaper ad which was placed after the pamphlets price was reduced to 10 cents from the original price of 50 cents.
Was that due to lack of sales to a knowing public aware that the "authentic statements" did NOT indicate an actual real treasure?
Who was the boss of W W Watts, apprentice at the Virginia Print Shop which was also a part of the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper?
Was that John William Sherman, printer of the pamphlet and cousin of the agent of copyright and publisher of the Beale Papers, James Beverly Ward?
Is it possible that Sherman employed young Watts, his employee, as his agent for collection of any and all sales at this reduced 10 cents price as a way to recoup his printing costs for the job print pamphlet?
Conclusions based on "maybe" speculation related to a newspaper ad as the only body of proof is also not allowed as evidence in court.

Last edited:
Well WW Watts was the author and James Beverly Ward was agent for the author. That is why they are mentioned. The thread is about the agent and that has got to be James Beverly Ward, the copyright says so.

Once again, there is no direct proof that young W W Watts was the author of the Beale Papers, just your speculative opinion.
That newspaper only lists W W Watts as a contact for purchase of the marked down job print pamphlet, that is all.
What was the date on that newspaper ad?

Neither is there any proof or documents proving John William Sherman was the author again only speculation. All is speculation until someone can confirm anything with documents.

Well Charles W Button, owner of the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper stated that his sub-editor was the author, and Ward's daughter and great grandson stated that Ward was the author, which leads to the conclusion that both were directly involved in the creation of the Beale Papers, not W W Watts, whose name only appears in a newspaper ad as a contact for pamphlet purchase.

It is the ambiguity of the Beale narrative story and that lack of even the slightest outside of the pamphlet collaboration that has enabled this endless Beale cottage industry of speculative what if fiction based on forced fitted facts books and endless claims of unprovable cipher solutions.
Once again, if not for George Hart and Pauline Innis reviving this treasure tale, the BEALE PAPERS would have become long forgotten ephemera.

Last edited:
I have heard of a book that may have been used for the Beale Story but I have not seen the copy or the name of the copy. But I continue to search for the answers. This came from next of kin very close to JBW.

The point to my question is simply this, "if", as the author suggest, that he was cutting himself loose of the matter, then why enlist an agent at all, or even mention that agent's name? Obviously the author wasn't cutting himself loose of the matter. That's my point.

WHO...? Ward...? Sherman...? Hutter...? Hmmm... 1001 Main Street in L'burg, Va. (1885) is the address for the JOB PRINT... :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back