why bother?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Had a chance to hit a 6 acre field that belongs to my father-in-law tonight for 15 mins. He told me he has found lots of arrow heads in the field after it is plowed, unfortunately this year they didn't plow or plant in the field. Anyway I didn't find anything earth shattering just weird.

The Items from the left to right top down are a metal triangle part off a tractor (I know because I now have two of these found in different locations), a stange piece of melted very light metal, a bullet from a rifle(?) an item I am unsure of and then a big item I am unsure of.

The big item is around 9 inches long the end is not bent it was made that way, the black part is rubber I think, and it used to be green. That is all I can tell you about it. The little round item appears to be made out of lead, it is flat on the bottom rounded and too big to be a shot from a shot gun. The dime is for size comparison only, I did not find it. My guess on the round item is a flattened/deformed 22 bullet. What do you guys and ladies think?

Attachments

• fieldfinds1.JPG
    fieldfinds1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 603
  • btop1.JPG
    btop1.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 609
  • bend2.JPG
    bend2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 602
  • bend1.JPG
    bend1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 612
  • strangeend1.JPG
    strangeend1.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 614
  • end1.JPG
    end1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 613

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
It's a shifter arm for a car....4 speed maybe. Take it to a auto parts store and find out which car. All though from the size it may be shifter off riding lawnmower.
Dano & Yogi

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 579
Upvote 0

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
i have no clue. looked at it and what i am looking at looks likes the end of a spoon and the othe piece which is a big black item looks like something i have seen before but for the likes of me i can not remember, sorry. I hope you identify it Mary ann

Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I concur. I believe the whatz-it is a shifter and floor boot from a vehicle of some sort. I think your are correct in your analysis of the bullet as well. Just my 2 cents....by the way, why is it "a penny for your thoughts" but you have to "throw your two cents in".

Hey! I guess that's why we find so many darn pennies with our detectors.

;D

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
It's early and I'm decaffeinated but doesn't that "deformed" .22cal bullet look awful round? And doesn't it look like a machine cut sprue and a mold line? Musket ball?? Just doesn't look anything like a .22 cal bullet fired or unfired I've seen. Well let me drink some coffee and look at it again later after everyone who can see straight, sets me straight.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
BioProfessor said:
It's early and I'm decaffeinated but doesn't that "deformed" .22cal bullet look awful round? And doesn't it look like a machine cut sprue and a mold line? Musket ball?? Just doesn't look anything like a .22 cal bullet fired or unfired I've seen. Well let me drink some coffee and look at it again later after everyone who can see straight, sets me straight.

Daryl

Well my first thought is that it is round on purpose and not from deformity but I am NOT a bullet expert. Also I have never seen a musket ball so small and I am ignorant about such things but did they make musket balls that small?? At first I thought it was split shot but there is no hole in it no split it is in my uninformed opinion just as it was made. The item came from a field that has had arrow heads found in it and within 1/8th of a mile from an old general store sight from 1820s if that helps at all. I do plan on going back and running through the whole field which will probably take at least one 12 hr day to do correctly. I am also trying to secure permission from the owner of the property where the general store used to sit as well as an old church site from the same time period, but both areas are on private property and the owners aren't too excited about granting permission to hunt. I will let you know.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Maybe it is part of a "buck and ball" load. That would be:

The other main ingredient besides the powder charge is the bullet. Many different types of bullets were used at Mill Springs. The flintlock and conversion muskets and the M1842 muskets had smoothbore barrels, and fired round lead balls. A favorite cartridge for this type of weapon was called "buck and ball," because it consisted of one .65 caliber lead ball, and three .31 caliber buckshot. This gave four potentially deadly projectiles fired with each round. None of the smoothbore ammunition was very accurate at ranges beyond about one hundred yards, but in the close-in fighting at Mill Springs, those units firing buck and ball likely had a devastating effect on the enemy. Many examples of buck and ball ammunition have been found on the Mill Springs battlefield.

.31 caliber is 8mm in diameter. Roosevelt is 8mm from end of nose to back of ear. Is that close?

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Yes it fits in the spot you mentioned between the nose and ear. So are you saying that I may have found an old musketball? If so any idea how old? My heart is beating really fast right now because of excitement, but I am trying not to get to excited!!!

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Think you're going to have some of the civil war members help out on this one. All we have determined is that it is about the right size. Not sure how many of the civil war experts are reading your post with the title you have. If you don't get someone to respond shortly, you might want to remove the bullet and relist it by itself with a question more about it being part of a "Buck and Ball" load. The experts can tell you if it is an area that might have that and whether your find matches what others have found.

Good Luck.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Rayman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
I think that bullet is from an early black powder pistol.One flat spot is from the lever they used to pack the ball in the cylinder, the other is from the bullet hitting somthing. Maybe .32 caliber? I've found a few here in Texas. Look just like that. Cool find!

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Looks pretty close to me. Your bullet and the ones from Davesx.

Daryl

Attachments

• OtherBullet.jpg
    OtherBullet.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Yourbullet.jpg
    Yourbullet.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
BioProfessor said:
Looks pretty close to me. Your bullet and the ones from Davesx.

Daryl

yes I think so too, but I still am not sure approx when it would have been made, used etc? I appreciate all your help!!

Upvote 0

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
The round ball is a hand cast muzzleloading rifle ball. the flat spot is where the sprue was cut off. It is probably a dropped ball and not fired. the others canprobably fired and deformed balls. size is figured in .o1 as .45 is 45 caliber. Bob.

Upvote 0
J

jivey

I think the long shiny thing is a tooth from either a hay rake or a hay baler. Looks a lot like the ones on our equipment, but maybe a different brand.

Jim and Carolyn Ivey

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rubber mounted rake tooth (having been painted green - probably from a John Deere)

hshr1.jpg

And there are still hundreds of thousands of various sized round lead balls tossed around anually by a few knutz like myself (that's me in the middle).

Attachments

• WashakRondy2.jpg
    WashakRondy2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 315
  • WashakRondy2.jpg
    WashakRondy2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Rubber mounted rake tooth (having been painted green - probably from a John Deere)

hshr1.jpg

And there are still hundreds of thousands of various sized round lead balls tossed around anually by a few knutz like myself (that's me in the middle).

Yep that is what it is. The triangle thing you have there is the cutting tooth off the swather,

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread