What's new

WHY did they do this???

jhamner

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
646
Reaction score
729
Golden Thread
0
I've had this old wafer maker for a long time, but just recently noticed the pattern which would have been transferred onto the wafer.
Apparently the original design was a heraldic eagle with arrows and olive branch in it's talons--just like on our early coins.
At some point, a new design was added which almost completely obliterated the original eagle.
Herein lies the $64,000 question--why in the world would one deface the unique design that represented our country and replace it with a nondescript one? It appears that a motto or other writing has been peened out also.
My only theory--and not a very good one--is that it may have been the work of the British during our war for independence, as they were trying to deface any symbols of liberty or defiance to the Crown. This doesn't seem very feasible to me, however...I think the British were far more concerned with keeping from getting shot or captured than changing the design on some common kitchen utensil. So the only thing I know is that I don't know, and so I need your help to solve this mystery. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter. (maybe they just made an ugly eagle and were trying to cover it up!) Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6641.webp
    IMG_6641.webp
    712.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6642.webp
    IMG_6642.webp
    862.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6643.webp
    IMG_6643.webp
    805.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6644.webp
    IMG_6644.webp
    759.2 KB · Views: 102
A lot of dies and things were reused as it was cheaper to recut an existing obsolete die than to start over. To me this is what happened here They probably only needed the area of the new work and used an existing die that no longer had a customer.
 
Upvote 0
A lot of dies and things were reused as it was cheaper to recut an existing obsolete die than to start over. To me this is what happened here They probably only needed the area of the new work and used an existing die that no longer had a customer.

Thanks so much for your reply--that makes perfect sense to me--materials weren't wasted back in those days like they are today!



P.S.--I like your best finds--AWESOME!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is strange and I don't think it's a kitchen utensil, but, lean more to the idea it was made to put an embossed mark on a paper document. How'd you come to own it?
 
Upvote 0
That is strange and I don't think it's a kitchen utensil, but, lean more to the idea it was made to put an embossed mark on a paper document. How'd you come to own it?

I can't remember where I got this piece. It seems to be much too large, though, for a paper document. I should have given you dimensions or a familiar item beside it to give relative size--the total length of the arms is over 20 inches and the circular discs are 5 1/2 inches in diameter.
 
Upvote 0
Wow, that really cool, have you ever used it?
 
Upvote 0
I can't remember where I got this piece. It seems to be much too large, though, for a paper document. I should have given you dimensions or a familiar item beside it to give relative size--the total length of the arms is over 20 inches and the circular discs are 5 1/2 inches in diameter.
Yeah I was thinking it was the size of a silver dollar or abouts and modified from an old coin. It sure looks old.
 
Upvote 0
Very cool piece!!!
 
Upvote 0
Wow, that really cool, have you ever used it?


NO, never used it-- you need an open fireplace or outside campfire, and I've just never really thought about trying it--to me I guess it comes under the "more trouble than it's worth" category!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom