Why did Travis Tumlinson Fake the Stone Maps as a Hoax?

I too am minus a college degree but common sense says that an intelligent assessment of the stones can only be made by examining them in person

It would seem that way, but many have examined them in person, and have a difference of opinion on them.

So are you then in agreement with Sarge, and George who have examined these stones, and conclude that the trail stones have been cast from adobe when no grass, or straw is visible? Have you ever even seen adobe? I have seen enough closeup pictures, and videos of the museum stones to know they are not adobe.

Homar

Homar, Please do keep posting I like your savoy.

I believe Ryan only said the Horse Map was faked. In my book the rest fall with the Horse Map. The Trail Maps have always been a little tricky when attempting a go at it. Very generic in information. If the heart represents ORO and it has an "1847" inside it that picture I posted of the petroglyph "ORO 1847" in the Superstitions would be it. Any water way symbol on an old Spanish or Jesuit coded map would mean reverse it. Like I've said before who ever made the maps if they are real and not manufactured by Travis would have made them for a generic purpose of showing you some secret information that is only privy to a few that knew the language. You could lay those maps on just about any topo and get a hit. If they are real the symbolic nature of the map is what its all about. Its a guide for showing you the direction to a way station with proper sanitary facilities for keeping personal hygiene from getting out of hand. That infuriated the Indians when those white guys stunk so bad!

Using feces for casting was common in adobe. Look closely for any small amounts of white (or red) paper in the casting. Small pieces of corn were mixed in usually after a night of feasting.

If you want to know if the stones were made by him all you have to do is a search for other stone carved maps found anywhere else at all in the whole archaeological world of discoveries. There are zero. So with that in mind it sure looks as though we have an entirely fabricated legend chain that started with Travis and is only found in the Superstitions of Arizona. Brilliant if you think about it. But it sure makes some mad they fell for it for so long.

It would seem that way, but many have examined them in person, and have a difference of opinion on them.

So are you then in agreement with Sarge, and George who have examined these stones, and conclude that the trail stones have been cast from adobe when no grass, or straw is visible? Have you ever even seen adobe? I have seen enough closeup pictures, and videos of the museum stones to know they are not adobe.

Homar

Homar

I don't know if I really agree with anyone but I know the stones at the museum are repops of some sort. There is a set just like them a couple miles away from the museum at the gold field ghost town. The only reason you would put grass or straw in the adobe is for strength . Besides I don't think the repops are made of adobe. There is no way possible to access the stones by photos or videos. It would have to be done in person and then it won't be easy

I don't know if I really agree with anyone but I know the stones at the museum are repops of some sort. There is a set just like them a couple miles away from the museum at the gold field ghost town. The only reason you would put grass or straw in the adobe is for strength . Besides I don't think the repops are made of adobe. There is no way possible to access the stones by photos or videos. It would have to be done in person and then it won't be easy

If you can post a photo of the Goldfield trail maps, that would interesting to see a side by side.

I think that photographs, high-res magnified photos would be enough to tell what they are. But, you are correct in that seeing them with your own eyes is an big advantage.

Resin based cast stone will melt under a hot pin. Cement like cast stone will obviously not.
My gut says that they are not cast.

Just a guess.

There are a few cast copies. Ron Feldman and Bob Schoose both have cast copies at Goldfield.

Howdy Weaversneedle,

There are no other stones like the originals that are in the museum. All the cast copies like those in the gold field ghost town, are one sided only, they have nothing on the other side.

Homar

For those who closely follow my posts, likes, etc. here or elsewhere, I would like to make something perfectly clear, assuming that is even possible.

I don't personally think Travis' family in Texas are trying to foster another hoax on the Dutch Hunting Community. I know the breed from that part of the country, as my own family had deep roots there. My grandfather was named Sam Huston Stoker. For those of you who are familiar with Texas history, you will notice the connection.

I don't believe everything I am told here, or anywhere else. While I am still interested in the Stone Map Saga, I no longer have any faith in a story that was built on deceit. That does not reflect negatively on Ryan, the Tumlinson Family, Frank or any of my other friends who have been involved down in Texas.

I wish nothing but success for everyone involved. Until I see the evidence that has been gathered, I feel free to voice my own opinion (likes) on everything posted, even though those posts may be wrong. If I have offended anyone with my plain talk, I apologize.

I am the product of over fifty years of close association with the LDM legends and the Stone Map story. I neither believe, nor disbelieve the new evidence coming to light. As with everything, I'm suspicious.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Howdy Weaversneedle,

There are no other stones like the originals that are in the museum. All the cast copies like those in the gold field ghost town, are one sided only, they have nothing on the other side.

Homar
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because I am taking the word of the curator of the museum over yours

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because I am taking the word of the curator of the museum over yours

You mean I just talked with a fake Roland Tom?

Cast or carved we have a Hoax of a Hoax. I think the title for the new show should read: "The Greatest Hoaxes of all time in the Superstition Mountains"

With a disclaimer: We resume no responsibility for any information being presented as fact".

Travis had an idea for a brilliant Hoax. We have to give him credit for that. I see they're doing damage control over on that other site. Propping up descendants as dead character witnesses. "My Grandfather never told a lie in his life and would never Hoax anything" oh but he did have those felony convictions just before that but he changed his ways.

Since then he has found peace and salvation carving stone tablets for his friends...And I guess he did carve the Horse Priest Map on piece of sand stone for fun.

You bet.

Borrowing a trend from FaceBook, I am going to post the WORLD's cutest picture of animals, EVER, hoping to inflict 100 TNet member smiles in, about a week. PLEASE, help me reach my goal of 100 likes by Friday. If you smiled after seeing this picture, give me a like!

View attachment 1267751

Early Phoenicians

You mean I just talked with a fake Roland Tom?

Cast or carved we have a Hoax of a Hoax. I think the title for the new show should read: "The Greatest Hoaxes of all time in the Superstition Mountains"

With a disclaimer: We resume no responsibility for any information being presented as fact".

Travis had an idea for a brilliant Hoax. We have to give him credit for that. I see they're doing damage control over on that other site. Propping up descendants as dead character witnesses. "My Grandfather never told a lie in his life and would never Hoax anything" oh but he did have those felony convictions just before that but he changed his ways.

Since then he has found peace and salvation carving stone tablets for his friends...And I guess he did carve the Horse Priest Map on piece of sand stone for fun.

You bet.

I am rested and refreshed. Bill, perhaps the young man in the video is being truthful in that his grandfather (we are left assuming) Travis, was telling a truth? Could be the stones are old and the true discovery location far too complicated to reveal.

I am rested and refreshed. Bill, perhaps the young man in the video is being truthful in that his grandfather (we are left assuming) Travis, was telling a truth? Could be the stones are old and the true discovery location far too complicated to reveal.

I'll give you that.

I think the original discovery place was very complicated. Stealing un-cut tombstones from a church cemetery used to be one of pranks college kids would pull. Now using them for creating a legend that's thinking ahead.

They could have been stolen I guess from some wealthy Mexican aristocrat down in Mexico. Ryan said that the family told him the Priest and Horse Map was Travis's own creation after he allegedly found the Trail Maps with out any heart cut out or heart insert stone. He's running this traveling show so all we have to go on is his information trickle. I think it's time someone else got involved with the other elements of the family and gave some other opinions. When a researcher (Treasure Hunter) has privy to all aspects of any information all we're going to get is what they want us to see. The truth lies somewhere in between Ryan and the family. And we may never get to the truth this way. Even with a show about it all we'll see is the cut version leaving us wondering if any of it's truth. They remind me of an old circus show I saw once with Boots and Flash. The whole thing reminds me of that dog and pony show.

View attachment 1267854

Frank,
You said that you found a heart stone while using the map that Tom K. gave you. What is the heart stone and what is the significant of it? I forgot to ask earlier.

Frank,
You said that you found a heart stone while using the map that Tom K. gave you. What is the heart stone and what is the significant of it? I forgot to ask earlier.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454513518.383159.jpg
There you go nobody

Frank,
Does the heart stone mean that there is treasure under it, around it, or does it point to a direction to go?

Frank,

Since Tom does not believe in the Stone Maps, whatsoever, what is the significance of that particular formation? As Tom has stated a number of times, hearts can be found all over the Superstitions. Admittedly, that one is a nice example.

Can't help but wonder if someone broke the heart in the Stone Maps trying to make it a bit more exact. Since I used to think Tom was involved in those maps, it's a hell of a coincidence he gives you a map to such a similar heart. Can you say what the circumstance was that caused him to give you that map?:dontknow:

Good luck in Texas,

Joe

Last edited:
Nobody. Knowing the location of other things on the trail map I decided to see what was at the X spot. On the heart stone lower point is a X. That formation is what I found
Joe. I was going through Tom map collection and spotted it. He had also posted it on Facebook. I asked about its history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back