What's new

Why do you hunt?

ilzho

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
47
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:

I realize it's a random question, but I am curious to know why everyone hunts.

Is it for the thrill of what you might find?

When you find the item, do you immediately feel you are back in time? or thought who could have owned the item you just found?

I'm sure the answers will be as diverse as our occupations.

David
 
Exercise and the thrill of the find. . Hobby pays for its self also
 
The same reason I shoot, do woodworking, go caving and canoeing. I just like it!
 
I find detecting to be totally absorbing mentally. You're not thinking about anything except what you are doing. I enjoy the leisurely pace and you never know what you may find. The kid in me likes digging holes.
 
...I like Dirt...
 
Relic hunting takes me out of my everyday life and allows me to slow down and enjoy nature as I'm detecting. I also love the history aspect if it and researching what I've found .
 
I don't know? but lets look back at this.

Age 2 to 3.....I hunted for my binky
Age 4 to 6.....I hunted for rocks, crawdads, turtles, snakes & treasure in creeks and ponds. I picked up a nasty parasite drinking from creeks and ponds I remember.
Age 7 to 15....I hunted for Rabbits, Pheasant, Quail and other game with the guns I got for Christmas.
Age 16 to 18..I hunted for auto parts and a job to keep my first car running.
Age 19 to 24.. I hunted for adventure and hitch hiked around the country. Ended up working in a mine and with that wealth, I hunted for women.
Age 25 to 30.. I hunted for a wife and found one!
Age 31 to 45.. I hunted for a house for my new wife found it and then found I need to hunt for better paying jobs, because of that house, plus 3 kids came along. All girls
Age 46 to 55.. I simply hunted for peace of mind and got out of the fast pace ass kissing field of work. They can keep the money. I don't need it.
Age 56 to 59.. I look back and see I was always hunting for a treasure in my mind of some kind. Why stop looking for it.
???
 
I hunt for all the reasons you & the others stated ..
My life kinda sounds like tamrock's with a few time/age changes. ( don't have the 3 girls tho)
 
Little known fact, Bill Wyman, Bassist for the Rolling Stones is an avid hunter......In Goldmine magazine, the legendary bass player had this to say on the subject:

“Metal-detecting is not just for anoraks or eccentrics; it’s probably the best and the most enjoyable way of learning about our history,” says Wyman. “On any garden, country field, footpath, woodlands, beach or moor land you can find a huge variety of historical objects, all easily located with this high quality metal detector.”
 
There are a couple of reasons like being the first one to hold an item in 200 years, but the biggee is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Frank... 111-1 profile.webp
 
I think that it is the thrill of the find, but I enjoy the historical aspects of it. A good day for me would be just finding something historic, and not necessarily expensive. I am also motivated by my father who collects coins and he used to metal detect. He can't get out much, but I am able to show him my finds and we have been connecting through this.

I also like sharing the hobby and I have gotten a lot of people interested in detecting.
 
I don't think I'm gonna get rich detecting. For me it's more about the history behind the object.
 
I hunt for the thrill of what I might happen to find.
 
I enjoy Metal detecting because it gets me out of the house and cause me NOT to think about work. I enjoy being out in nature and finding something. It doesn't have to be anything substantial mind you. It's exciting to just find something and look at the object and wonder HOW long it;s actually been buried. WHO actually owned it; WHAT caused it to be lost. There could be a thousand stories with every object that we find. I know that my metal detecting hobby may not make me rich financially, but it makes me rich in spirit. I tend to go into my own world when I'm out there in a field or by the side of the road or in a shallow river that runs down from a mountain.
 
For me it has really changed through the years. At first I wanted to find the 'treasure': silver and gold. I still enjoy finding that but my passion has become the history of the different finds and the relaxation of the hunt. I working in a fast paced high pressure industry which I love but by the time I walk out of work I usually have a headache. When I get out I become lost in the hunt and if I can find something old that I need to research to find out what it is or the story behind it then I'm in my glory. Through this hobby I've meet some great friends and opened some interesting doors that I otherwise never would have happened.

I've interacted with authors, archeologist, scientist and other scholars that would have never crossed my path if not for metal detecting. I have a non-profit organization headquarter in my house that is because of this hobby. Things I could have never in my wildest dreams guessed when I purchased my first detector have come about because of that simple beep in my headphones.

A great hobby that for me keeps giving and evolving. It is the next find, the next hunt and the next adventure that keeps me at it.

NJ
 
Ilzho, welcome to TNet!
I hunt for all the reasons mentioned, thrill of the hunt, adventure, finding goodies, relics, gold, relaxation, being alone, enjoying nature, etc, and I realize what's out there! You never know what you may find! It is my pursuit of happiness!
 
I just love everything about it. Fresh air, exercise, the opportunity to play in the dirt and get filthy or to wade through the water on a warm summer morning. The excitement of packing the car to go on a detecting adventure. The adrenaline rush of a great find, the relaxation and mind calming effect of swinging the coil, even when up you aren't finding anything. Gold, silver, and diamonds are rewarding, but I also like the crusty pennies, the what's its and the variety of odds and ends that you find.
 
I like the peace of mind, fresh air and I have an intense love of history. I love to find any old piece of junk that can be tied to an historical time frame. Money I don't think about much, though found gold has paid for all my equipment more than once. For me it's like fishing. There's always a thrill knowing the next "bite" may be six inches in front of my coil.
 
Fun,interesting,exercise,Profitable at times,keeps me out of trouble.Never know what that next good sound might be.When its something nice,man what a rush.Too me it is a passion!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom