Why Has Tnet Traffic Slowed Down So Much?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's two different forum sites I post to, one is a traditional archery site that I've been a member of since 1998, and the other is TNet.

This site is just fine, IMO. If traffic has slowed down, then I haven't noticed it. Well moderated, and plenty of categories to keep most anyone interested. Good people, too, and that makes a huge difference. :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's two different forum sites I post to, one is a traditional archery site that I've been a member of since 1998, and the other is TNet.

This site is just fine, IMO. If traffic has slowed down, then I haven't noticed it. Well moderated, and plenty of categories to keep most anyone interested. Good people, too, and that makes a huge difference. :occasion14:
16 yrs and there's a lot of categories that I haven't seen even.
There isn't a single day goes by that I don't learn something new.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it seems you do not have time to make a post and tend them. I am sometimes gone for days with no or spotty internet. If I post something I do not want to ghost my post and not reply.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you not seen The Social Network?

Yes, those and more. Some are running businesses.
I still don't understand what the big deal is about Mark Suckerberg. Maybe I'm just cut from a different cloth or something that no longer exists. The cloth being that if something is harmful or inherently bad you don't support it. And Fakebook is both harmful and bad. These Suckerberg types are something straight out of a horror film. They exploit and control whatever they can. Yet, people love them. I don't get it.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I'm a more frequent poster, I used to just lurk and drool on your finds. I still don't own a MD maybe one day, but I do thrift stores, and some coin rolls occasionally. This site rocks!
Plenty of folks avoid social media like the plague so this is still the place to relate to people of like mind. I hope posting traffic increases I think it goes through ups and downs and will swing up again. Just a tiny effort amongst existing members would easily do that. I’m doing my part and hope others will also

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still don't understand what the big deal is about Mark Suckerberg.
Big deal? Just another tech billionaire who got lucky--in the right place at the right time with a hot idea. Same as Gates, Jobs, Woz, Musk, Bezos, and all the rest.
Maybe I'm just cut from a different cloth or something that no longer exists. The cloth being that if something is harmful or inherently bad you don't support it. And Fakebook is both harmful and bad. These Suckerberg types are something straight out of a horror film. They exploit and control whatever they can. Yet, people love them. I don't get it.
Different cloth... yeah, IDK anyone who "loves" any of those guys.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."--Lord Acton

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like T-Net and check it & post almost daily. It is the only site I use. Well, occasionally I check out Arrowheads.com but not very often. To me, things are fine here. I enjoy the different perspectives & personalities, & experience of the members. I don't detect but enjoy seeing everyone's finds. A lot of people have come & gone over the years but that's life.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I truly enjoy this site also. And I too do not get involved with facebook or other social media sites. I don't want to hear or share details about all my doings, my friends or relatives daily activities. I enjoy sharing and seeing what others have done, find and explore within this site. I shared my discovered cave which got me started here and enjoyed sharing the many stories and thoughts with like minded folks. But I really like seeing what others might find and share also... "Treasure is where you find it" and it has many meaning. Some find it on the beach, maybe a thrift shop, a roll of coins or in a field and share their fabulous find(s). Or someone in a dark place that looks under two flat rocks and would truly like to share but knows better. I tune in to see when other's do share and then what happens later. Hence a "treasure site". Sometimes the "reveal" is hidden within a post itself but never shown or "claimed" by poster but told within...... possibly.

But I see some are gone as I was for a few years and I do miss them but I truly enjoy interacting with all of you folks past and present.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Yes. Treasure can be a beautiful sunrise if posted in the correct forum.
I agree that treasure is found in many ways. This site reminds me of hanging out with friends. Actually, for me, that’s what it truly is (most days).

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been gone from the Tnet scene for quite a while and upon my return I can't help but to notice how much slower the site traffic is. There was a day when this platform was really hopping 24/7 but now it seems pretty sluggish. Is it simply due to all of the other public and private platforms that are available today? Or has something changed within the site platform that has made it less attractive? What's your take on the situation?
I remember those good old days too, and noticed the change when I came back on Tnet after being gone for about 10 years. Back when I joined in 2007 Tnet was very active. We had a blast posting, joking around, and I met a lot of great people. I invited a lot of them to NC to detect a few of my CW sites, and then dinner at my house. We had a great time.
Today, most of them are no longer on Tnet. Not sure why? I was a very active poster, and also wrote a lot of articles for Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, which unfortunately is no longer around. I lived and breathed metal detecting back then.
I had great CW and 1800's spots to detect back then and was very fortunate. Once we moved to the mountains, I longed for those old spots. There just wasn't the amount of old properties, and hardly any CW action, so I stopped detecting for 10 years and started other hobbies.
Grandkids came along, and I was a lot older, but decided to give detecting another try less than a year ago.
So for me not being as active on Tnet its been:
Grandkids, lack of large old properties to detect, and now learning a new machine (Manticore).

I still love Tnet, but just feel that I don't have as much to contribute like I did before.
That's it in a nutshell.
MM

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll add my $0.02 to the discussion, since I think the original question is a good one:
- As others have mentioned, there are many other sites competing for peoples' time and attention. I personally don't post other places, but I do watch metal detecting videos on YouTube (more on that in a moment).
- I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's less to be found out there (I'm sure some will argue "there's always more", but if we're realistic then we have to acknowledge that every year there's less and less silver in the ground to be found.)

- I've personally slowed down my posts because I'm just not out detecting as much any more. Why?
  • I moved from NJ to Delaware last year. Even though Delaware's got lots of history ("First State"), it's much tougher to get permissions and where I do get permission they've been detected many times. (I don't beach detect much.)
  • I had a few "friends" in the hobby leave me out of some good opportunities, which upset me.
  • If I'm honest, I have to admit that I've become frustrated with the hobby of metal detecting. The "frustration" comes from a lack of trust in what people create videos about on YouTube, and even what people post about. I don't have any specific references in mind, but I've come to feel that it seems really unlikely that certain YouTube personalities can continue to find amazing stuff every week like they supposedly do. At my peak I was detecting every weekend for many hours in historic locations, but my results were very different from similar hunts by folks who happened to have GoPros running. I started to question, and started to decide to spend my time doing other things.
  • I've picked up an old hobby from when I was younger: photography. I'm finding it very rewarding.

Last edited:

Shawnboylk

Mar 30, 2018
Wilmington nc
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been gone from the Tnet scene for quite a while and upon my return I can't help but to notice how much slower the site traffic is. There was a day when this platform was really hopping 24/7 but now it seems pretty sluggish. Is it simply due to all of the other public and private platforms that are available today? Or has something changed within the site platform that has made it less attractive? What's your take on the situation?
I stopped coming on here when they lost the app Not sure if there is app for it again yet or not but that was way easier

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll add my $0.02 to the discussion, since I think the original question is a good one:
- As others have mentioned, there are many other sites competing for peoples' time and attention. I personally don't post other places, but I do watch metal detecting videos on YouTube (more on that in a moment).
- I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's less to be found out there (I'm sure some will argue "there's always more", but if we're realistic then we have to acknowledge that every year there's less and less silver in the ground to be found.)

- I've personally slowed down my posts because I'm just not out detecting as much any more. Why?
  • I moved from NJ to Delaware last year. Even though Delaware's got lots of history ("First State"), it's much tougher to get permissions and where I do get permission they've been detected many times. (I don't beach detect much.)
  • I had a few "friends" in the hobby leave me out of some good opportunities, which upset me.
  • If I'm honest, I have to admit that I've become frustrated with the hobby of metal detecting. The "frustration" comes from a lack of trust in what people create videos about on YouTube, and even what people post about. I don't have any specific references in mind, but I've come to feel that it seems really unlikely that certain YouTube personalities can continue to find amazing stuff every week like they supposedly do. At my peak I was detecting every weekend for many hours in historic locations, but my results were very different from similar hunts by folks who happened to have GoPros running. I started to question, and started to decide to spend my time doing other things.
  • I've picked up an old hobby from when I was younger: photography. I'm finding it very rewarding.
The same is true on the arrowhead & fossil videos on YouTube. I collect both, prefer arrowheads & know that a find of a good point or fossil is rare. They find handfuls constantly on these videos so I don't think they are being genuine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped coming on here when they lost the app Not sure if there is app for it again yet or not but that was way easier
What app are you talking about? If you mean the old TreasureNet app, the developer stopped supporting the app long before the new software was changed.

Are you aware you have the option to use cell phone like a PC and view forum just like you are on a laptop or desktop? Very easy to navigate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread