What's new

Why I buy artifacts.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I sure admire those that have had the good fortune to amass great collections of personal finds and my hat is off to them.
One reason I buy besides my love for artifacts is because I can't find nice stuff like some of these I'm gonna show, and I would like to own some, or a bunch. I do buy, sell, and trade at times. Persoanlal finds are not for sale, I have given a few away though.

IMG_0755.webp
Large pieces here are very rare. Below is typical of what I have found near home here in eastern South Dakota. This stuff doesn't quite compare to the artifacts found in central sd and North Dakota where the Knife River Flint is predominant. These areas for the most part are not huntable any longer. These are shown at the bottom.
IMG_0033.webp

IMG_0520.webpIMG_0777.webp
 
Upvote 0
You have some nice artifacts, both personal finds and purchased.
 
Buying artifacts is a chose that each person as to make on his own terms. I have bought collections before and a single piece every now and then. I don't mix what I buy with my PFs and the reason I don't do this is because I don't care who you are there are people that can fool the best of anyone. If you say you can not be fooled then you are fooling yourself. The main thing is if it's a G-10 artifact and they sell it to you for a low ball price, take your money and run. If it's to good to be true then it is.:occasion14:
 
Great looking finds and acquisitions quito.

I too have bought quite a few pieces, especially when I was putting my states collection together. But I buy mostly field grade or just a little better to have some examples of types and materials from each state. I don't buy any high end pieces because for one, I can't afford them. And for two, I'd venture to guess that around 85% or higher of all the Clovis, Folsom, Dovetail, Birdtsones, Bannerstones, etc are all fake. Some may have been around for 100 years or more and went through some well known collections, but I still don't trust them. I have a book published in 1897 that has an entire chapter of the fakes being made then and sold to well known collectors.
 
Good topic. Personally i have no want or need to purchase artifacts. Even though all my best fields are no longer plowed or farmed at all, I find no satisfaction in purchases. Now on the other hand my father has taken the opposite route. Instead of searching fields he searches for local collectors who are willing to part with artifacts. he enjoys it and i do love seeing what he has "found" but I feel no attachment to them. To each there own , and for some, own one of each. HH
 
I picked up a bell pestle and an item which turned out to be a door stop (got stung). Not a big deal for me. When in Texas I stop to a a trinket shop who sells a lot of artifacts. He sells broke arrowheads for .50 each. I buy a bunch a re-knap them for the grandkids.

I would like to start a collection of points from each state myself. Would give me something else to do beside get on my wife's nerves, lol
 
good topic,i have bought some just to get some art work out of it,i do not think i would drop a huge amount of cash on any points though,as i have found many great points, i check them out then they just sit around in a box,i give some away though.i really think finding one is way better than buying them.the forest has always been good too,and for, me so maybe im just spoiled a little.
 
To each his own I guess,no problem with it here.Those are some sweet side notchers in the first frame!
 
I picked up a bell pestle and an item which turned out to be a door stop (got stung). Not a big deal for me. When in Texas I stop to a a trinket shop who sells a lot of artifacts. He sells broke arrowheads for .50 each. I buy a bunch a re-knap them for the grandkids.

I would like to start a collection of points from each state myself. Would give me something else to do beside get on my wife's nerves, lol

With lots of trading, several purchases, and quite a few gifts it took me about 2 1/2 years to get every state except Hawaii. I think I have around 1000 to 1200 pieces in that collection now. I need to count them to see for sure.

I can help you with Ohio and Kentucky. Just let me know.
 
When it comes to artifacts I like hunting for them and I would never sell them either. I might give you one or swap and trade with ya instead of ever accepting money for them. I don't trust the authenticity of many artifacts for sale. Especially the most beautiful, clean and perfect ones you'll see out there. When I find artifacts, it's story of each piece I treasure the most. They do seem to speak to you when you first pick them up and hold it in your hand. Sometimes It's almost like they find you, or so it seems to me.
 
With lots of trading, several purchases, and quite a few gifts it took me about 2 1/2 years to get every state except Hawaii. I think I have around 1000 to 1200 pieces in that collection now. I need to count them to see for sure.

I can help you with Ohio and Kentucky. Just let me know.

Grim, I do want to thank you for Ohio. I still have fifteen states to go. but for me it is a quest. I gave that up two years ago but renewed this year when I got back out on the road. Over the years I have met many like minded hunters that I have had the pleasure to go on a hunt with and tell stories. If i never fill my states frame, I know for sure I have filled a life time of memories. Most all I find is field grade and no I do not buy but I have accepted gifts from friends and I Cherish those even more.
 
I picked up a bell pestle and an item which turned out to be a door stop (got stung). Not a big deal for me. When in Texas I stop to a a trinket shop who sells a lot of artifacts. He sells broke arrowheads for .50 each. I buy a bunch a re-knap them for the grandkids.

I would like to start a collection of points from each state myself. Would give me something else to do beside get on my wife's nerves, lol

I don't remember what I've sent in the past Jon, but if you need SD or ND stuff, just let me know.
 
If you need anything from Florida I can give you one or two!
 
i know for a fact too that in the early 1900's later 1800's many many points were made specifically for trade or sale to collectors...missionaries and the like. these points were made from better materials and always of the highest standard the maker could provide. when you see frames in museums where every point is perfect and they all look the same, as if they were made by the same hand, and the provenance says something like, "from the collection of Dr. so and so 1903"....well, you get the idea.
 
I guess for me personally, I would get zero satisfaction from buying an artifact. Whenever I find a point, there is some weird thrill I get that is a mixture of shock, disbelief, and excitement, that I don't think I could ever find from buying one, fake or not! Where I am, it seems like I find maybe one unbroken point for every mile or two that I walk, so that is why I get that feeling of shock and disbelief lol! If I did ever buy an artifact, I would buy a well made fake, in order to actually "use" it, like a knife for example. But that is really the only reason I would want to buy an artifact. (Don't take this as knocking on anyone who does buy them, it's just my personal preference!)
 
Great looking finds and acquisitions quito.

I too have bought quite a few pieces, especially when I was putting my states collection together. But I buy mostly field grade or just a little better to have some examples of types and materials from each state. I don't buy any high end pieces because for one, I can't afford them. And for two, I'd venture to guess that around 85% or higher of all the Clovis, Folsom, Dovetail, Birdtsones, Bannerstones, etc are all fake. Some may have been around for 100 years or more and went through some well known collections, but I still don't trust them. I have a book published in 1897 that has an entire chapter of the fakes being made then and sold to well known collectors.
I have recently read some newspaper articles from the 1880's talking about well known "artifact" hunters of that time period making fake points, and getting caught trying to pass them off as real, seems like that was a big thing back then, and they were good enough that they said at times it was virtually impossible to tell the fakes from the real ones, so I could see the worry about that....
 
quito and martingeetars: Thanks for the offer. will let you know if I decide to start this venture.
 
I have recently read some newspaper articles from the 1880's talking about well known "artifact" hunters of that time period making fake points, and getting caught trying to pass them off as real, seems like that was a big thing back then, and they were good enough that they said at times it was virtually impossible to tell the fakes from the real ones, so I could see the worry about that....

Yeah, well not many, if any collectors, had a microscope or even a 10x loupe back then, and knew what we know now.
 
Once in a while I will buy a collection or a piece if the price is rite. I dont sell what I find but will give them away if I like the person. $3 a point at the shows isnt worth the money on my personal finds for the hours I put into looking. Most of what I find isnt real nice and so many broken ones. I give the broken ones away to kids at the shows they dont care if they are broken or not and if they loose them its no big deal. I find a nice one every 50 finds of whole pieces I wont even count the broken ones cause its in the 100s
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom