What's new

WHY I work with numerous banks instead of being loyal to just one.

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I just wrote about 700 silver dimes and 40 silver quarters held for me at the bank. It spawned a debate over working with one bank and being loyal vs working with many banks. here's my thought on the subject (repeat of my latest post on the "awesome day" topic)

This is my third big score this year. First was a BofA that gave me a roll of solid Franklins. She held them back and gave them to me when I came in. Then it was the Midfirst Bank telling me about the old guy that dumped a bunch of old pennies. Turned out that he had taken almost all the wheats (Missed a few) but it also turned out to be 97% copper. So that loaded my copper numbers for the year. Hey, copper is not 10X face, like silver, but copper has done me well too. Now it is the Wells Fargo giving me all these silver dimes and a roll of silver quarters. Which goes to show you. All the banks will get these from time to time. The more banks you work with, the more big scores that come your way.

And I treat EACH bank as if they are my favorite and only bank. NO, I don't tell them that, but i DO have an account with EACH of them, and I know their names, smile when I come in, don't get upset when i miss things, and treat them well. They like me, and are happy to give me things when they come in.

As for the coupons I give when I get something from them ... they give me something that comes from their business. The coins. I give them something that comes from mine. The coupons for free food. And they USE them, so they get some benefit. I find they like that better than donuts or pizza, as they see it as me sharing back with them what i have, as they have just shared with me what they have. So it is good. I even give a coupon or two away at times when I get skunked, if they kept for me a large amount of halves or something they thought was of value to me. And I thank them for it, just like it was a solid roll of silver. Just because it did not work out doesn't mean they didn't give it their best for me. :-) And it shows I appreciate the EFFORT, as much as the silver. Lets them know I care about THEM, not just what they can DO for me.

I have great relationships with lots of tellers, and it is paying off by different ones at different banks all holding the coins for ME. This latest one even wrote my name on the rolls, to make SURE no one else took them. That's what you want in a relationship with your tellers.

And the more the merrier. :-)

For the record - I have 68 banks for pick ups. I don't hit them often, and when I do it is only for 1 box of pennies each, plus any halves they have picked up since my last visit (Which is where I get most of my halves. I don't order very often at all. Just too many skunks out here - 52 of 55 boxes were skunks!) WHy do I pick up so little? I go to more banks, and still get 68 boxes of pennies on one trip. A LONG trip, but one trip. And that gives me more opportunities to get halve taht happened to come in. Plus, when I show up, even though it may have been four weeks since the last time, they still know me, and if anything happens in the gap, they keep things for me. I also have three banks where i pick up 10 boxes of pennies at a time, on a special order, as often as I want. I also get my rare half box orders from these three. Normally I order 10 boxes about once a month from each of these three. So that gives me about 30 boxes a month plus about 68 boxes a month from the others, or just shy of 100 boxes a month. When I work it hard. Some months I have no 10-box orders, and do only 60 boxes or so in that month. On the dump side, I have 3 dump banks, as the dump banks are FINE with whatever I bring in. I go to them about 3 times a week for each one, as I dump from all those other banks, and only in 3 banks.

That's how I got lucky on this score. Treat the tellers right, go to many banks, and keep working it. "The harder I work, the luckier I get". :-)
 
Upvote 0
ummm holy chit... you search a lot

but questions

how much is the most you dump at once? and that involves many bag changes? assuming coin counter?

what exactly did you first ask for and how do you get them to keep you stuff?
 
Mr. JRF30,

That was a great read.

I only hope that others here can learn from your fine example.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
John is also wearing out a Ryedale coin sorter with all those pennies he's getting. My guess right now would be he has quite a large stash of pre '82 copper cents awaiting the inevitable rise in copper prices. I know you can't melt them down but the higher the price of copper, the crazier people get to want to own some.
My darling bride advised me to either get rid of my Ryedale because of the noise or I could sort outside. Some of you know it gets a wee bit hot here in Texas. Take care ya'll. Jim
 
You have a great system ! Might even work in whats know as the Tri-State area, Connecticut, New York. and New Jersey. We are noted as being the rudest Americans. People here wake up in the morning and practice frowning in the mirror. If I gave a teller a box of donuts, she would think they were poisoned.
Seriously though, being polite, and remembering names is the way to go.

Here is a teller tale for you.
Whenever I CRH, I dress neatly, smile and act very polite. I suppose the tellers must think I'm from out of State.
Anyway on this one particular day I'm in a bad mood, which is rare for me. I go into this one bank and politely ask for halves. The teller who looked like she was a man at one time and went through a bad procedure in Sweden tipped the scales for rudeness. She was so rude that in other circumstances, and if it was a man,I would have poked him in the nose.
As I left the bank, and totally out of character, I let slip an "A" bomb. I didn't think that she heard it but she cackled"What did you call me"?
I just kept walking, making a mental note not to return to this bank.
About a month later,by mistake, I returned to this bank looking for halves. I didn't realize my mistake until I saw and recognized her. Fortunately I got another teller. Then she walks over and and says she has halves and gave me about 4 keepers.
I go there once every two weeks since then. Everyone is friendly and I always score a couple from that teller.
Go Figure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom