Why is choosing a career so stressful? Why do they make school stressful?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
A little update, have been working and taking classes. Now I am currently doing contract Desktop Technician work for a company. Contract ends soon, and I will be going back to school as a full time student and not doing part time anymore. As of December, I will have graduated with my AA in Technical Support, and I am going to be working on my transfer credits/degree for Central Washington University.

My only question is, why are people so down on other people getting bachelors degrees? I am personally doing this for fulfillment and so I can work in the job that I want. I know the IT industry is changing, that's why I am getting my degree as a Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Technology and Administrative Management. I figure I could get any entry level job that has to deal with both and work my way up.

People on other forums are always telling me that experience is the king and that degree's are useless. I am so torn and get headaces now because not only do I have to keep up my grades, 3.79 GPA (that I have right now). I have to worry about how my industry is doing and whether I choose the right path. ARGH!

People are also saying I should join the military. I would, but I am what they call a class D for selective service. What that means is that they will only draft me as a last resort because of my heart condition. I contemplated on joining the military before, but decided against it. I don't want to try to gain experience in the information technology field by going into the military. I would rather do it career wise. My milk allergy is also what is stopping me from joining the army. Anyways. I really respect veterans and anyone who goes into the army. I would do it, if I could/wanted to at this point in my life.

Anyways, what do you guys think about bachelors degree's in general? Do they get you far in your career? How did you deal with the stress?

I don't have time to metal detect anymore, so that is out of the question. Lame.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak said:
A little update, have been working and taking classes. Now I am currently doing contract Desktop Technician work for a company. Contract ends soon, and I will be going back to school as a full time student and not doing part time anymore. As of December, I will have graduated with my AA in Technical Support, and I am going to be working on my transfer credits/degree for Central Washington University.

My only question is, why are people so down on other people getting bachelors degrees? I am personally doing this for fulfillment and so I can work in the job that I want. I know the IT industry is changing, that's why I am getting my degree as a Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Technology and Administrative Management. I figure I could get any entry level job that has to deal with both and work my way up.

People on other forums are always telling me that experience is the king and that degree's are useless. I am so torn and get headaces now because not only do I have to keep up my grades, 3.79 GPA (that I have right now). I have to worry about how my industry is doing and whether I choose the right path. ARGH!

People are also saying I should join the military. I would, but I am what they call a class D for selective service. What that means is that they will only draft me as a last resort because of my heart condition. I contemplated on joining the military before, but decided against it. I don't want to try to gain experience in the information technology field by going into the military. I would rather do it career wise. My milk allergy is also what is stopping me from joining the army. Anyways. I really respect veterans and anyone who goes into the army. I would do it, if I could/wanted to at this point in my life.

Anyways, what do you guys think about bachelors degree's in general? Do they get you far in your career? How did you deal with the stress?

I don't have time to metal detect anymore, so that is out of the question. Lame.

Degrees in Information Technology and Administrative Management are worth a lot, experience will come with it, you will earn a lot more with a degree than with out one..... Anyone who tries to say a degree and experience doesn't pay more than just experience is blowing smoke up you know where......Go for your degree...... :icon_thumright:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are many ways to look at this. I will give you some of my background as an example. I could not decide also. I like electronics so I decided on that as a career. I started off taking an RCA correspondence course. I also bought a set of Rider basic electricity and a set of their basic electronics books and read them. I started a little business in the evening repairing TV's , stereos and car radios. During the day I worked as a union electrician. There was a big strike that lasted a long time, so I decided to go to U of Md. and take electrical engineering. I got tired of college in my second year and got a job as a technical rep. for a large corp. that was growing fast. I worked my way up to field service engineer for the Balto. branch. It was work that I enjoyed for 32 years.
I have no regrets about leaving college. The important thing is to do what you enjoy doing for a living, not what you can make the most money doing. Enjoyment is worth so much more than accumulation. Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's best you complete school and have that degree, most company's won't even entertain people for positions without that piece of paper. Also what Frankn said so so on the money too. You are already headed in the right direction, working and gaining experience as you go. You are also in the right direction as yo already know what type of work you want to do.

Another point.. There has been a recent study and many companies aren't always seeking the candidate with the most experience. They are looking for the people with the right passion and drive. Today this seems to be the way many firms are heading. Get a good education, maintain your drive and you'll fair well.

I'm not sure what type of work, or experience the people on the other forum have, nor their age. I can tell you that if they are just starting out today, they are in for a very rude awakening. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Thanks for all the replies! I am going to be a student full time and finish my AA in Technical Support, and then do transfer credits and get my Bachelors of Information Technology and Administrative Management! :)

P

pastorals

Good decision...you won't regret it. I think you will do well.

Alan

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one big problem with your whole post that stands out to me like a sore thumb-----

people say

what people? who ARE you listening too and WHY?

do what you want, and if 'what people say' are causing you stress, don't listen lol

you put way too much emphasis on what others say---follow your chosen path and don't look back!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread