Why is it much harder to find silver quarters

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought it was my personal curse (thirteen years, no silver quarters) but I expect other will say they have been cherry picked over the years. Dimes sound and may ring up just like pennies on some machines and so can be passed over, but nobody skips a quarter signal. I also think fewer quarter were lost because they were valued more and not given out to kids.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are harder to lose - and they are easier targets for hunters to find

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting obvious value is more, larger coin, seat liberty’s never found , heck I find barber dimes recently

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are easier to spot when first dropped. The secret to finding larger silver today is to go to a spot that hasn't been hit before. There are millions of spots like that, but a lot of time you have to think "out of the box" to find them.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can’t remember when I last found something more than a dime...

Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To date, I have only found 4. However, they were all at the same location found within 5 minutes of each other. The location had never been searched before, was being maintained such that there was little to no trash, the lawn was large and well shaded, and had children in the early to mid-1900's. The stars basically have to align in just the right way.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All mine with the exception of one were on farms, not near houses. One was on a CW battlefield. The one exception I found next door to where I live and it was a barber.

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got into the hobby this year but my very first silver coin was a 1940 Washington quarter. Then I found two mercury dimes in the next hole about 2 feet away. I thought this is easy. Been a while since I got a silver now. Got spoiled I guess

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone dropped a quarter, it was easier to see than a dime, and they picked it back up, leaving fewer of them out in the dirt for us to find.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many moons ago Silver Quarters were very available, much like the modern ones now, however they are also the easiest of targets so they got scooped up first in common areas with very old machines. Smaller targets like dimes and pennies, even nickles, got lost in the junk with those older detectors so our newer ones are finding these missed items more often than the large silver which has been pretty much depleted in common areas. Like smoky said, you got to think outside the box on large silver anymore. I have less than a dozen quarters and only a couple came from common areas with a lot of junk, but there were a bunch of dimes and wheaties among st the slaw.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver quarters are super easy to find, you just have to find virgin dirt to detect, THAT is that hard part. I've dug lots of silver quarters over the years and the vast majority came from private yards. Keep in mind how much easier it is (physically) for a detector to hit on a quarter. Metal detecting has been a popular hobby since the 1960s, and those early machines could hit quarters far easier than dimes.

Not nearly as many old quarters left to hit, but they are still there. I dug an SLQ last week, but its been a while since I have done that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread