Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I did some thinking recently, and I was looking back on that first year, 15 years ago, when I was a newbie taking my first swings. I was also thinking about some other newbies I've helped along in the past decade. It seems that many of us experienced a gradual increase in the number, value, and age of our finds as we learned our detectors. Then we usually get to a plateau where we're making good finds and hunting often. It seems that frequently what follows is a decline in finds for a while. I think this decline can be due to certain factors, like the "newness" of the hobby fading (if the addiction hasn't taken root), but I think a big factor in this decline is that as newbies we frequently lean on friends, relatives, family, and other vets of the hobby to assist us in finding places to hunt, securing permission, etc. It seems that these opportunities are gradually exhausted over time, unless we relocate, change jobs, etc. At this point, the quality and quantity of our finds could start to decline. This is the point at which we see posts from frustrated detectorists on this website proclaiming that there is "no place to hunt" and "no silver coins left."

I think there are several ways to prevent such frustration and decline. There is a saying "Six degrees of separation." Basically, everyone in the world is somehow linked just six people apart. Each person we meet has friends, family, and relatives too, and they may also have many ideas about potential sites. Sometimes all it takes is a kind word and a good reputation to gain their confidence and willingness to help. Finding lost jewelry for them also helps too :D I have a friend who is a bartender, and he is always talking to his customers as time allows. He's learned about and gotten permission to hunt good sites this way.

Another way to find sites is talking to old-timers. These folks won't be around forever, and they love to tell stories. Recently a friend of mine was talking to a kind, 70-year-old man. He mentioned his frustration of finding old broken glass and pottery every time he plowed. When asked what the glass was from, he volunteered the information that his great-grandfather was born in an old house that sat in his fields. He also gave permission to hunt the fields. Old-timers remember the location of community baseball fields in the years before World War II, swimming holes, picnic groves, and house sites that are long gone. If this man hadn't happened to share the information about the house site, it might never have been found or metal detected. Taking good notes--or better yet, a tape recording--of such knowledgeable folks is immensely valuable.

The third way one can prevent the decline in finds is by research. This is my favorite of the three, because it can be a quest in and of itself. I won't go into my methods here, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. Here is a recent post of mine (originally a PM to another Tnet member) which details how to find virgin Civil War campsites. This is just my method, and it embodies a good many of my procedures for research. Here's the link:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102059.0.html

Cheers,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for your replies. I thought I'd give this one a bump to the top. It's a good post.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Buckleboy, thank you for taking your time to post this. I haven't gotten around to the Civil war thread yet but, I will. I live around areas that are rich in civil war history.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper2004 said:
Buckleboy, thank you for taking your time to post this. I haven't gotten around to the Civil war thread yet but, I will. I live around areas that are rich in civil war history.

Good luck with the research tips! I'd love to hear about your future successes! Just send me a link to a post, or PM me.

Regards,

Buckleboy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nice post Buckleboy.

Where's that pub with free drinks for us old guys? :D

...About an hour ago I discovered google maps had recently updated the (at least) 3yr old satellite pics of my house, and area. It showed construction grading I was unaware of. Good time to check 'em out.
Someone has removed the topsoil!

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread