What's new

Why Silver Certificates can still be found!!!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
A couple weeks ago I got my first job - at a coin store working saturdays. I like it a lot,its fun and the people are nice.

Today however a customer came in with a few common date silver certificates. They were so worn that it would be difficult to sell them for more than a dollar. So one of the people working at the store said to take them to a bank....


And there you go folks. If anyone likes worn silver certificates for fun, they can still be found!

HH!

-CC
 
Upvote 0
Over the past 5 years, I've received about 10 silver certificates in change. To wit, I did received 4 of them in one day. So yes, they can still be found.

And from my experience working in a coin shop, I can testify that there are still plenty of those things around. People bring them in all the time, but they're often too worn for me to buy, so I advise people to go spend them.

"This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America five dollars in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

....amazing.


What's also interesting is that there are people who collect the little granules of silver that were paid out to those demanding their silver. The bank would give them out in a little envelope. Times sure have changed.
 
Yeah. Its all very interesting.

-CC
 
i always thought that meant the bank would give you a silver dollar for it. but in the late 1960's silver in the silver dollars were worth more than a dollar and they were no longer usuable.
 
I have gotten 4 I silver certificates this year plaus a handful of other old FRN of various denoms with a few from 1934 and a handful of United States Notes (red seal). I usually ask the tellers when I stop, occasionally I get lucky. Though they aren't really worth anything is used condition, they are neat to have.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom