Why would anyone wear camouflage while metal detecting?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, Smokey. I always wear a red hoodie when I detect in the woods, even if it's not hunting season. Makes it easy to spot me with a drone or even a helicopter, if I go missing. Also, you never know when you might run into someone who doesn't believe in a closed hunting season.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I know it's different there in the US. Where I am there is no animal that hunts you or one needs to hide from.
But, there are quite a number of people who look out for others detecting to take a spot. As I had yrs ago worked in the detecting industry I know its common. I heard of it a lot and saw others whilst I was detecting looking around with binoculars. Some may say, yeah they were just scoping areas and sometimes I did and do too now. But many were on the watch for others to watch if they put things in the pocket or container or didn't.
It is common here sadly. So yes, I wear blend in stuff. Dont need to buy full cammo, but I do wear cammo pants and a dark grey or green top. I see or hear, then stop, often they look and go. They're on the watch. I've been in the game long enough to know that here is exactly what they are doing most of the time. You can bet your bucks and guarantee if they are good enough to spot you they get in the 4wd or whatever, and make a beeline directly to you. Do they say "hi" or Aussie style "g'day mate how ya goin"!?
Nah, 99% of the time no way, its "what ya found mate?" "Found any Gold?"
Every time my answer is "hi mate how are you?"
99.99% of the time they repeat the question "Found any gold?"
Seriously, I hold on and say again "umm, yeah hi mate how are you?"
You know what most say? "Yeah I heard you, have you found any gold?"
Im not joking either. They are not there to be friendly or say hello as my line of replies shows. They are maggots that want to ride on the back of others doing the hard work. And, after working like I did for 25 yrs, that is how 90% of known finders here got the leg up.
100% true.
I now only have anything to do with just 2 people I know after all that time.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectorists.jpg

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
I live in New Mexico. There are many hunting accidents because people here are too stupid. I wouldn't wear camo anytime during the year, either the game warden would stop your or some transplanted californian or new yorker would shoot you. They shot a guy off a 4 wheeler and said they thought it was a elk.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I see this in our area a lot. I think many of the guys invest in camo for turkey hunting and whitetail bow season. They then wear it for all purposes. It’s some kind of redneck “secret handshake “ whereby one may know another at a glance. I try to where hi-vis when in my own timber. Don’t want shot by tresspassers.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I never use camo, , I have an orange vest in my back pack, just in case.

The best idea is to go with a friend, we carry with radios.

When I alone per hours, I told the area where I will be prospecting, and As soon as I arrive to the area I sent my location to a friend or my wife just in case I need help because an accident, like sorained ankle,.

Bottom line, Camo does not sound good idea in the area I detect, could be dangerous, not sure in other areas or countries.

Have a good metal detecting days
😎

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not care to be seen doing my detecting. I feel there is already to many people detecting. I also believe if you can't be seen you can't be shot. Way to many weird shootings going on now also. But i guess i am weird

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Think of it this way.
It might just cut down on the competition.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to wear a neon green vest that says Public Works on it. Nobody questions you.
I have thought of this also. It might even get you more permissions :)

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Only one problem: It becomes obvious that something is wrong, when people see a person in a Public Works vest actually working. Around here: What’s green & white and sleeps 2? A city works truck.
Also:
Only one problem: It becomes obvious that something is wrong, when people see a person in a Public Works vest actually working. Around here: What’s green & white and sleeps 2? A city works truck.
Also: I hear technology is having an impact on employment numbers in the Dept. if Transportation. A new invention may eliminate 400 DOT jobs in Iowa. Someone invented a shovel that will stand up all by itself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions