Why would anyone wear camouflage while metal detecting?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess they think it makes them look cool. No clue. I don't do any work anymore where I have a need for camo, but some of my clothes have a camo pattern and many don't. I wear what's appropriate for the weather conditions. In hunting season, best to have some blaze orange on or just not go in the woods. I'm still trying to figure out why some people wear shorts and flipflops or go barefoot in rattlesnake country.
A neighbor used to wear a flak jacket deer hunting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My permissions want no flashy vests, screaming look at me.
Blend in, don't attract attention.
My early spring/late fall attire.
I don't need to put on airs for nobody.
If I go off the permissions in the hunting season, then maybe a red head is warranted.
My coveralls when they were in good shape.
20181130_161129.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only camo I wear are a pair of tough as nails military looking pants, I got in an Army/Navy store. They have pockets on the knees to insert knee pads. but even here in parts of NYC I wear an orange hat when the leaves are on the trees because of poachers. It's not unheard of to find a primitive tree stand or blind in the woods. you're probably not going to hear a gunshot, but I find enough broad head arrows to make you think.
Actually there may be a valid reason for these, I have a friend on long island who is allowed to hunt certain areas to help control the deer population. Some areas even pay for the service. Most of the time they use bows or cross bows as literally everywhere is heavily populated and not terribly safe to hunt with rifles. I was surprised to see the small patches of trees in between shopping complexes that he was asked to remove deer from. maybe 100x200 feet.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I was surprised to see the small patches of trees in between shopping complexes that he was asked to remove deer from. maybe 100x200 feet.
"I was surprised to see the small patches of trees in between shopping complexes that he was asked to remove deer from. maybe 100x200 feet."

Asked to kill? That sucks! Really...deer?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and also those folks cruising by with a cell phone that has the Po Po on speed dial, eager to rain on someone's parade.
ANOTHER GREAT POINT !!

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
So when you set your camo detector down in the woods, to dig a hole, are you able to find it?:dontknow:
When out and about wear old BDU jacket for pockets, pants and such are job specific. Started wearing miners hard hat and construction safety vest when detecting and found am left alone more as I think people assume am working for utility company.

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This started out (for me) just joking about the area where I live. We’re always called rednecks or hillbillies; and we really don’t care. This thread has gotten interesting. So many different viewpoints and they all make sense. I don’t care if folks hunt while wearing a tuxedo with an Indian bonnet. Whatever works. I hunt exclusively on my properties. I have neighbors who hunt. I wear hi-vis a lot so I don’t find some brass handles on a 7 ft long pine box with my name on it. Do what works for you and enjoy!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I go off the permissions in the hunting season, then maybe a red head is warranted.
View attachment 2070950
Good point with permissions.
Blend with local culture. (I know you're already oriented).

Well worn cotton duck is common around me. Despite my ladyfriends objections , I blend in just fine with "normal " traffic when wearing a jacket with the stuffing hanging out the sleeves.
Camo doesn't raise an eyebrow anymore than that. There is a strong hunting culture here and cloths can be worn because they are cloths. Not because folks have a set of cloths for every occasion and fret about being P.C. among the timid and hey! Let's wear camo today and scare the cityfolks!

Come as you are. We'll figure quick enough if strangers are not comfortable with someone because of what they wear. It's o.k.. don't be frightened.

A tie or dress pants or street shoes or anything that hollers city boy would stand out big time.
Nothing wrong with that.
Don't be surprised if you're watched quizzically though. You're simply outstanding is all. L.o.l..

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
LOL,Probly saving a buck or two on denim/wears,know clothing and backpacks are fairly cheap, comparatively, at our local surplus outlet?

DrJ314

Greenie
Feb 3, 2023
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
You didn't say where it was, but if cold, perhaps his camo was the only insulated outfit he had to stay warm?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I only wear camo when hunting because I don't want it to pick up car, city or sweat odors. But, generally, camo is built for the outdoors. I don't think it's any of my business what someone wants to wear.

I spray Permethin on my detecting bib-overalls and jeans for ticks. But I keep a place in the cellar for such clothing away from pets upstairs (not good for cats).

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just by the by, be careful when visiting some other countries. I visit South Africa fairly often and discovered it's illegal for civilians to wear camouflage-pattern clothing, although the law isn't rigidly enforced for 'fashion' camouflage. According to Wiki, these nations also prohibit civilians from wearing or possessing camouflage print clothing:

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Dominica
Ghana
Grenada
Jamaica
Nigeria
Oman
Philippines (uniforms only)
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2070950
Doesn’t urine dry faster?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to go ahead and wager they were wearing camouflage because they wanted to wear camouflage. Seems like you are upset with them for wearing camo for some reason?

Just seems odd to wear camo while metal detecting. Sorry if you think there's more to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread