What's new

Why?

clf_02

Full Member
Joined
May 7, 2012
Messages
137
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone have any idea why in a creek I like to walk I find hundreds of pottery shards but have only found a hand full of knapped items. I can find 3 or 4 pottery shards every day. Seems with all the pottery there should be other stuff right?
 
Upvote 0
maybe because they were getting water from there a lot and just didn't use drop hunt points there. Keep trying or get in some fields away from the creek or dig or something.
 
Hi clf...Do others hunt this creek? If so, they may be picking up the knapped items and leaving the pottery behind.

T.
 
No I an the only person ever on the creek for miles both ways
 
If there is no local source for chert the natives could have used bone for projectile points. If the acids in the soil is high the bones have decayed. Do you find bones ancient or modern? If the water is brownish or iron rich the bones, if they were there, are gone. If the water is clear with limestone present they should be there. I have a limestone rich creek that produces nice bone tools. My problem is the critters like to chew on them so if I don't get to then first they are damaged. I have some with ancient critter chew marks.
Also, if the creek has clay formations they could be firing the pottery on site and discarding the damaged ones. I see your from Natchez, MS so you should have some Tuscaloosa Gravle chert in that creek.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom