Why?

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me a good sized drill base today. But I am intrigued as to why the hand hold part is sharpened so well? Were drills of this design used as multi tools? I just don’t understand why all the edges would need to be so deadly sharp. Also would the size of this piece signify use on much larger jobs or tasks? Thanks. IMG_9074.JPG

Upvote 0
I don’t see any signs of hafting. Plus this piece was in the same vicinity as the pic in question. Note the similarities.IMG_9073.JPGIMG_9072.JPG

Ah, I c u said “were” hafted....note this pic from the internet. All very similar and I doubt we’re hafted.IMG_9077.JPG

I think there are some things where it seems formed, it’s better to look good than work perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me a good sized drill base today. But I am intrigued as to why the hand hold part is sharpened so well? Were drills of this design used as multi tools? I just don’t understand why all the edges would need to be so deadly sharp. Also would the size of this piece signify use on much larger jobs or tasks? Thanks. View attachment 1600321

Given the size compared to the quarter, the drill bit would have been really long. Maybe just resharpened knife?

I'm thinking along the same lines as Josh. A cross-sectional view of the break might help.

I'm thinking a broke point that was repurposed into a hafted scraper.

Additional pics from different angles. IMG_0304.JPGIMG_0304.JPGIMG_0304.JPG

Ah, I c u said “were” hafted....note this pic from the internet. All very similar and I doubt we’re hafted.View attachment 1600341

The majority of drills began life as a hafted something else i.e., a knife, a projectile. This is somewhat obvious in the examples that you’ve posted.

As others are saying, your piece in question is most likely something other than a drill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back