Will buying a better coil improve my Tracker IVs performance?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Will buying a better coil improve my Tracker IV's performance?

Home repairs are keeping me from stepping up to a better detector this year so I'm looking for ways to get more out of my current IV. Will replacing the stock coil improve performance enough to warrant the cost? And, if so, what would be a good coil to buy?

Saw some posts referencing the Nel Hunter coil (12.5" x 8.5") which seemed favorable but I don't know anything about upgrading options.

Thanks!

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro silver umax, Fisher F2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older tracker iv that came with the white coil that I think is 6.5 inches. I put an 8 inch on and it made quite a difference. Just dug a 22 shell at 7 inches in the ground! It hit on it hard too. Something to consider if you have the smaller coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coil choices are compromises. Larger coils go deeper but you get target masking when trash are present. Smaller coils cover less ground per sweep, but zero in faster and don't go as deep. So its like dating a new girl an a crap shoot. Success is relative.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys. I still have the stock 8" on her. Works great in tot lots. Guess I'll leave it as is for now.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade it.

You can pick up used T4's all day long used for about 50-75 bucks, sometimes even less.

I would put the money you would spend on the coil toward an upgrade. Don't be afraid to look at used machines. There are MANY deals out there. Craigslist is your friend when it comes to used detectors. MANY people buy them and once the realize there's work involved in this hobby they just put them away for a while and let 'em go cheap later.

I've gotten 4 nice machines that way so far. I'm actually looking at another I just ran across as we speak.

I actually asked the same question you are when I was using my T4. It 's a great little machine, kills the coins and jewelry but just wasn't getting the kind of depth I was after.
The coil I was looking at cost WAY more than what I paid for the entire machine.

But I still have mine. That's the one that got me into this hobby and found my first gold, silver & jewelry. It's a great spare unit when I take kids along too. You just can't beat the simplicity and reliability.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Garrett424. Today, there are an array of detectors with fast recovery rates and ID info you're not going to get with a larger coil for a T4. At $175, you can get:

quick-draw-pro-faceplate.jpg

A whole world of information over a meter, and is already deep (9") with a 10" coil and fast recovery. Probably find someone who never took the time with one for $100 or so.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys! Great advice! Not much locally on Craigslist so I pre-ordered the Fisher F22. I'll keep the T4 as a spare or for others to hunt with me.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guys! Great advice! Not much locally on Craigslist so I pre-ordered the Fisher F22. I'll keep the T4 as a spare or for others to hunt with me.

Good choice.

You're gonna' love that Fisher compared to the T4. Although the T4 is a great, capable little machine, that Fisher is gonna' really kick your hunting up a few notches.
It'll probably deepen the addiction as well!!

Once you're in you never get out.

But seriously, I will always love my Tracker IV even though I quickly outgrew it. It was my first "real" metal detector and introduced me to this fantastic hobby. It taught me the basics and really helped me hone my skills.

But I've definitely been hooked ever since I got that machine. It never would have happened had that T4 not found it's way to me.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree as well. The F22 and QDP are a lot alike, the F22 not having segment description, but a better set of coil choices for a little more $$, plus some preset modes and a custom mode.

You're really on your way now.:headbang:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread