What's new

Will coin roll hunting get better as gas prices rise?

ringding

Hero Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
692
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
With gas and food prices way up, families are scraping by. We are having a rummage sale this weekend to get extra money. Do you think people will break out their old coin collections and spend them or take them into the bank? And will coin roll hunting get better? Or will hang onto their old coins because of a corresponding rise in metal prices?
 
Upvote 0
I would think that anyone with common sense would at least try to sell to a coin dealer or auction them off before spending at face value.

Of course, we are hoping for the latter.

AMC
 
amc rulz said:
Of course, we are hoping for the latter.

AMC
Which shows when you get a hand-dream roll...........which I haven't found for a while...........
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
It will get better for CRH'rs who's work pays for their gas!
I bet there will be fewer CRH road trips.
Less competition means better results for road warriors!
 
I expect more relatively small scores and less large dream hauls. For example, my nickel boxes have been pretty good lately, averaging way over what I usually pull, as far as pre-60s, war and Buffs go. Someone with a few coins may think 'it's time I just get rid of these' while someone who has a few rolls worth or a whole collection knows they are worth something way over face and if they need spendable cash right then they may try to sell them to a coin shop. Even if a coin shop only offers you say 7x face for 90% silver, that's still 7x what the bank would give you.
 
DrDetector said:
Someone with a few coins may think 'it's time I just get rid of these' while someone who has a few rolls worth or a whole collection knows they are worth something way over face and if they need spendable cash right then they may try to sell them to a coin shop. Even if a coin shop only offers you say 7x face for 90% silver, that's still 7x what the bank would give you.

I agree............
 
DrDetector said:
I expect more relatively small scores and less large dream hauls. For example, my nickel boxes have been pretty good lately, averaging way over what I usually pull, as far as pre-60s, war and Buffs go. Someone with a few coins may think 'it's time I just get rid of these' while someone who has a few rolls worth or a whole collection knows they are worth something way over face and if they need spendable cash right then they may try to sell them to a coin shop. Even if a coin shop only offers you say 7x face for 90% silver, that's still 7x what the bank would give you.

Don't rule out the power of greedy coin dealers. I've heard of people only being offered face or very close to face for silver coins. If that coin dealer is say 10+ miles away and the bank is less than 1 mile away, that person who only called the one greedy coin dealer may actually just cash in at face value as a result.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom