Will SMB precipitate gold out of water?

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on a gold bearing river but the gold is so small that you can't see it unless there is an accumulation of it. It is so small that gravity methods will not work as the gold stays suspended in solution for quite some time before settling. How I came to learn this?...every panning trip, I bring back my concentrates and throw them into a clear plastic tote. One day, I decided to rest this tote at an angle on my outside ac unit. After almost a week, I looked in the bottom corner of the tote and saw a 1/4" x 4" line of gold gleaming in the sunlight. Now, this is only from maybe 2 lbs of material so extremely rich. The problem is...it's so small, that it stays suspended in water. I have precipitated gold from aqua regia in the past as well as AP solutions so would SMB precipitate these tiny particles from water?

Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am on a gold bearing river but the gold is so small that you can't see it unless there is an accumulation of it. It is so small that gravity methods will not work as the gold stays suspended in solution for quite some time before settling. How I came to learn this?...every panning trip, I bring back my concentrates and throw them into a clear plastic tote. One day, I decided to rest this tote at an angle on my outside ac unit. After almost a week, I looked in the bottom corner of the tote and saw a 1/4" x 4" line of gold gleaming in the sunlight. Now, this is only from maybe 2 lbs of material so extremely rich. The problem is...it's so small, that it stays suspended in water. I have precipitated gold from aqua regia in the past as well as AP solutions so would SMB precipitate these tiny particles from water?
Would a filtration system work for this process?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have a set of 4 to 6" diameter screen classifiers?* I have so when I suspect or know very small/micro gold is present in my concentrates I first dry it then screen classify to at least minus 100 mesh. Careful panning of the batches less than 100 mesh yields good results.

Good luck.

*Best set I've seen is the "Gold Hog Golden Rule Classification System".

Last edited:

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a centrifuge step process for just the super fines?
Hey Assembler, Would the bucket with the plastic cap in the center bottom work after getting it classified to mesh 100 and smaller? I made one a few years ago. I put a few gallons of water in the bottom, then used a stick to quickly swirl the material into a cyclone action. The heavies traveled, and settled into the plastic cap, while the lighter stuff went towards the outside and settled

To make one, drill out a hole that's the size of a mailing tube end cap (2 inches is supposed to be ideal), and pop the cap down into the hole at the bottom of the bucket.

I found I needed to save my concentrates, and run again when I had a good batch.

But as Arizau said, classifying with various small mesh size screens, then carefully panning works very well. I'm panning gold down to around 400 mesh, which is quite small.

Note on panning. When you tap your pan, do it very gently. What I do is not really tapping. Visualize you drumming your finger tips. Put your fingertips to the edge of the pan, and do that gently. The super fine gold will migrate to the edge, and the even smaller stuff may want to climb the pan side. If it starts climbing, you are drumming your finger tips too hard.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Assembler, Would the bucket with the plastic cap in the center bottom work after getting it classified to mesh 100 and smaller? I made one a few years ago. I put a few gallons of water in the bottom, then used a stick to quickly swirl the material into a cyclone action. The heavies traveled, and settled into the plastic cap, while the lighter stuff went towards the outside and settled
Yes this will work on larger particles with the top speed peak of around 350 - 400 RPM's.

What I refer to is removing very fines with the RPM's from 800 RPM's to 10,000 RPM's with the high speed range forcing the fines into a filter mesh material, screen layers and removing all of the water through. The low speed is more like a spinning wash tub and the higher speeds is a centrifuge removing nearly all fines from the water. Both ranges of speeds can be used as different steps.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Years ago there was a man called Art Corbin that was on another site.. He passed years back BUT he was getting real fine gold by using a electrical device like they use in extracting Silver from old Xray chemicals. He placed this device he came up with into a Creek and left it there for various lengths of time and then processed or had someone else processed it for him. Maybe look into this sort of device. Good Luck in any event !

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years ago there was a man called Art Corbin that was on another site.. He passed years back BUT he was getting real fine gold by using a electrical device like they use in extracting Silver from old Xray chemicals. He placed this device he came up with into a Creek and left it there for various lengths of time and then processed or had someone else processed it for him. Maybe look into this sort of device. Good Luck in any event !
Did the device have two or more metal plates that are charged with a electrical charge?

Thank you for the idea / insight idea post russau. :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the speed of the centrifuge however electro plating has been around for a long time now.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes this will work on larger particles with the top speed peak of around 350 - 400 RPM's.

What I refer to is removing very fines with the RPM's from 800 RPM's to 10,000 RPM's with the high speed range forcing the fines into a filter mesh material, screen layers and removing all of the water through. The low speed is more like a spinning wash tub and the higher speeds is a centrifuge removing nearly all fines from the water. Both ranges of speeds can be used as different steps.
By the way a air jet plate can be used to help loosen the compressed layer of trapped fine material in the filter mesh / screen. This is done after stopping the unit drum to loosen the layer of trapped material. High pressure air is needed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Juicers have a high RPM with the micro screen the solids get trapped on the one side of the micro screen while the liquids go through and out of the unit. The Breville juicer will spin 13000 RPMs just don't know if the micro screen is fine enough.
The other option is filter the water and floating gold through a ceramic filter. The gold will be caught on the ceramic and can be removed then. (gold is bigger than bacteria/virus)

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Juicers have a high RPM with the micro screen the solids get trapped on the one side of the micro screen while the liquids go through and out of the unit. The Breville juicer will spin 13000 RPMs just don't know if the micro screen is fine enough.
The other option is filter the water and floating gold through a ceramic filter. The gold will be caught on the ceramic and can be removed then. (gold is bigger than bacteria/virus)
BINGO, yep the cat has talked about this and also pointed out that most people can get started for around $75.00 - $125.00 for a set up with a hour of time in general. Some safety steps should be taken as well as the juicer can come apart with out of balance vibration or moving around.

The micro screen is not fine enough however is a foundation for the material mesh and other screens to help out. Think of layers of different materials will help you to be on track for a set up to run a small batch with.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about using a pressure cooker container first with up to 15lbs. pressure on the liquid bath first to see if there is some dropout of the larger particles before the centrifuge step process?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Did the device have two or more metal plates that are charged with a electrical charge?

Thank you for the idea / insight idea post russau. :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the speed of the centrifuge however electro plating has been around for a long time now.
No idea what he had other than what he said in his post many years back on another site.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No idea what he had other than what he said in his post many years back on another site.
Thanks for the reply looks like it is berried somewhere in the past.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a 2 foot column of the water any size you want adding about a 800 RPM's centrifuge force?
I'm thinking there is going to be very good dropout both near the bottom and the sides.
Then take the same water after this step and put about 15lbs. of air pressure on the water in a pressure cooker as the next step for dropout to help remove from the water.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a 2 foot column of the water any size you want adding about a 800 RPM's centrifuge force?
I'm thinking there is going to be very good dropout both near the bottom and the sides.
Then take the same water after this step and put about 15lbs. of air pressure on the water in a pressure cooker as the next step for dropout to help remove from the water.
Either a electric outboard or gas engine outboard will get you the 800 RPM's or better.
A air compressor or tire pump will get you the 15lbs pressure for the second step.
I'm thinking a used water heater tank will help get the column of water for the action setup.

The supper fines will not all stay in the water with this treatment.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New idea to me. Why would pressure drop it out?
Changes in the pressure and temperature affect the density of objects and liquids, thereby affecting the specific gravity of objects and liquids. Standard temperature and pressure are used in the calculation of specific gravity.

Just how much is hard to measure. Will have to try it out to see the effects.
The effect of any gas that is holding the super fines will be forced out by pressure.

I forgot to point out here that it is the gas dissolved in the liquid as well as any possible holes or pockets in the solid that contains a gas is being compressed to give a measurable effect.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Changes in the pressure and temperature affect the density of objects and liquids, thereby affecting the specific gravity of objects and liquids. Standard temperature and pressure are used in the calculation of specific gravity.

Just how much is hard to measure. Will have to try it out to see the effects.
The effect of any gas that is holding the super fines will be forced out by pressure.

Well now, my furry friend. As an Engineer. You know, a registered Professional engineer with multi state reciprocity most any where in the country, I feel obligated to let you in on a little known well kept secret of the biz. Ditto for my Science credentials which are distinct but as worthy.

Water is considered an in-compressible fluid. Metallic Solids are generally known to be in-compressible, sorta by definition. ( in the realm of T & P that humans can survive in anyway )

Any temperature fluctuation you wish to apply to make any sort of significant difference to the SG of AU would boil or freeze water. And even then it wouldn't be much.

But you did mention 'gasses' in your notion of applying pressure to fine sized particles to enhance their dropping out. Fluidized beds with air entrainment sorta work in the opposite way to your notion by reducing the bulk media density facilitating a greater disparity and enhancing drop out.

I consider myself open minded and am interested in this notion. Can you explain it or link us up with from whence you arrived at the idea? Is this your yet untested original work or is there something we can research? Can you share?

Meow :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread