Will steel shanks make the detector go off a lot?

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to clear some debris from a small stream (i.e. boards, 2x4s possible nails in these) from a crossing area that is really old. I then would like to detect and sift this crossing area. Should I buy some chest waders with the steel shanks to clear the debris then detect the area or will these make the detector go off a lot. I think I'll have good luck sifting this with my wet sifter AND detecting with the md. OR will regular chest wader with hard soles be enough protection from possible nasty (nails) stuff in the water?
thanks

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've detected with steel toed boots before and it's a real pain.....you have to keep the coil at least 12" away or it'll act up on you.

It's gets tiring quite quickly reaching that far away with the machine.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill hit the "shank" on the head.... It will set off your detector...

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say a undoubtedly "yes" on that!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on your build, too. I'm six foot with long arms and legs, so my detector is extended to the last notch and the coil is generally about 2 feet in front of my toes. Plus I grew up in venemous snake country and it was always a good idea to keep the coil a little far forward. But steel toed boots and even the eyelets on boots can cause some problems if you get too close and depending on what sensitivity you're using.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can find them, waders with fiberglass shanks. Metal around metal detector = interference. I try to not wear any metal, even the eyelets on my shoes are plastic, and no belt. It's enough of a pain because my leg is filled with metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread