wings

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
I found these in a yard earlier this fall.Talked to property owner he said his grandfather was a bombidier in ww2.He said he would never lalk about the war.Within a 4 foot area of where these were found was about a half dozen belt buckles and clasps.It appeared to me as though maybe the uniforms all got burnt on a pile.Owner said he would check around with other family members to see if anyone knows anything about the military history.Im going to make a little board to display them on this wionter then return them to the family if he wants them.hh....jon

Attachments

• wings.jpg
    wings.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
his grandfather was a bombardier in ww2.He said he would never talk about the war

Not uncommon. My father-in-law never told the family about his WWII experience. I got him started one day - since I'm not DIRECT family he talked to me. MAN, he had some stories to tell! Some funny, some sad, some frightening, some horrific... I wrote them down but I won't share with the rest of the family until after he passes.

Cool wings! Go pics of the other stuff?

DCMatt

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

Can't wait to see more!

HH

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I love the design of those wings.

Beautiful!

Ridley

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Neat finds, John. My father-in-law never talked about his WW-ll experiences either.

After he passed away in May, we found 2 swords, one British, one German, coins from each of the 5 European countries he served in and other miscellaneous items from his time in Europe.

Seems like many war vets are that way, and that is their privilege, IMO.

DFIU

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set of wings, you can tell they have some age about them. Many vets did in fact pile their uniforms up when they returned stateside and set fire to them, the land owner is more than likely correct when he told you that.

Anyways, congrats and those are some beautiful wings - they would look good in a small shadow box!

HH/NS

oldcoyote

Greenie
Dec 25, 2005
That's a nice wing. It probably says STERLING on the back somewhere. Seems to have been several patterns of these - don't think I've seen that one before. Maybe if you research them a bit you would find out something interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread