Winning the Lottery

Rockstone

Dec 4, 2013
Nevada, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't today but it's like winning the lottery for me and I always wanted to share it. There is a small park in my town and I had found a 1911 Barber dime there, so I figured there was more old money. I went back and the first tone after starting was the first pic. I uncovered it and the back was what I saw first. I didn't know what it was and I was super excited to learn more. I turned it over and that was pic 2 below. After I recovered from that excitement, I settled down and started detecting again. About 15' away and the next good tone I uncovered the coin in Pic 3. How often could you find two half dollars back to back and they are 43 years apart in age. The first coin was an 1895 mint O Barber half dollar. The next coin was a 1938 mint D Walking Liberty. Less than 500,000 made. A key date.
IMG_9167x.jpg
IMG_9168x.jpg
IMG_9169x.jpg
IMG_9171x.jpg

Upvote 39

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't today but it's like winning the lottery for me and I always wanted to share it. There is a small park in my town and I had found a 1911 Barber dime there, so I figured there was more old money. I went back and the first tone after starting was the first pic. I uncovered it and the back was what I saw first. I didn't know what it was and I was super excited to learn more. I turned it over and that was pic 2 below. After I recovered from that excitement, I settled down and started detecting again. About 15' away and the next good tone I uncovered the coin in Pic 3. How often could you find two half dollars back to back and they are 43 years apart in age. The first coin was an 1895 mint O Barber half dollar. The next coin was a 1938 mint D Walking Liberty. Less than 500,000 made. A key date. View attachment 2066752 View attachment 2066753 View attachment 2066754 View attachment 2066755
Awsesome

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One big silver is hard enough, back to back in one hunt- insane! Add in a better date to boot and I'd say that hunt was a major success. Be sure to cover every inch of that place in both directions- Congrats & GL!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have always said, "You just never know". Last week in a school yard, I found my one and only HALF DIME. Like you, I when I first saw it, I didn't know what it was, I thought foreign coin?, my brain just did not see what I was seeing, if that makes sense. To find TWO silver half dollars like you did back to back, wonder how long it would have taken me to get up off my butt, since the second half would have placed me on it I'm sure. Great day you had their Rockstone. Nice, very nice.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This isn't today but it's like winning the lottery for me and I always wanted to share it. There is a small park in my town and I had found a 1911 Barber dime there, so I figured there was more old money. I went back and the first tone after starting was the first pic. I uncovered it and the back was what I saw first. I didn't know what it was and I was super excited to learn more. I turned it over and that was pic 2 below. After I recovered from that excitement, I settled down and started detecting again. About 15' away and the next good tone I uncovered the coin in Pic 3. How often could you find two half dollars back to back and they are 43 years apart in age. The first coin was an 1895 mint O Barber half dollar. The next coin was a 1938 mint D Walking Liberty. Less than 500,000 made. A key date. View attachment 2066752 View attachment 2066753 View attachment 2066754 View attachment 2066755
What a dig! Congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great back-to-back finds! Congratulations! Been a long time since I have recovered multiple silver coins on the same hunt. Thanks for sharing. Love to see great silver like that.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a stellar day! Congrats on your big silvers!

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two bad you only found a dollar. JOKE JOKE HA HA HA I wish I had your LUCK. Nice silver back to back , hit that place till you find nothing!!!!!! H H

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! And now you know there are probably more...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread