🥇 BANNER Winter camp Gold!

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other day I was digging in the frozen ground a winter camp and had found 4 bullets and some camp lead in about 2 hours. Then I broke my shovel trying to pop out a large plug. It was a iffy signal with the GPX, either iron falsing on both sides of the target or 2 targets. Anyway I came back the next day and opened it up only to find a square nail. Without checking for another signal I started digging down to the plow line to see if the sub-soil was where it was suppose to be because I've found several Fire-pits there. When I threw out the 1st scoop the clod broke apart and out popped Gold, clear as day. After freaking out for several minutes, videoing and washing I decided to keep detecting and found another fire-pit just 10 feet from the Gold 2 1/2. From that I got 4 buttons, 1 J-hook, a bullet worm, a firing cap, bone and lot's of iron. The Eagle I is of the rare variety w/ the arrows on the left and the 2 1/2 Gold is in the best condition of any coin I've ever dug and it's a S mint mark, which only 24,000 were made. HH all!
1-20.jpg 1-20 GOLD.jpg 1-20 pit.jpg 1-19.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 86

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't agree with this statement at all. Ask anyone this question, "Would you rather have a scratched up coin, or one with less hairlines?" I think you know the answer to that question. Most of the time it comes down to having a little patience in the field and not rubbing the coin then and there. That's it. Remove the dirt at home. The video watchers will understand and we don't need to get a date, mm, reed count, feather count, complete luster analysis, etc. then and there. Of course the person can do whatever they want to their coin, but sometimes they just need a heads-up that there could be an alternative cleaning method. If the finder wants to take it and run it over with his/her car, then so be it. But why risk permanently damaging a coin just for a few seconds of video? Granted, there are times when I get the coin home, rinse it off and still find hairlines from the dirt. Nothing that can be done with that, but you can tell sometimes where someone rubbed a coin then and there. Why would you risk losing hundreds of dollars in value just because it's your coin? If someone was going to burn a $100 bill, I know I would be inclined to stop them, and inform them of what they are doing. If they want to burn it after that, go ahead, but at least I said my part. I guess, what I'm saying is, the owner should first be informed that he may have caused some scratches. And that those scratches could have reduced the value. It may cause him to reflect what had happened and change next time. If, after hearing it, still says, "you know what, it's my coin, and I'm going to rub it" then it is what it is. But maybe he will say, "you know, last time it may have dropped the value by a hundo or two by rubbing it in the field, maybe I'll leave the audience in suspense in the video and take the dirt off in a more controlled environment." Other members shouldn't get angry when some members try to state a coin has potentially been damaged. Isn't that part of the hobby...expressing our opinions on how to better preserve items? We are all part of preserving history.

Very well said.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll share my method. I blast with water in the field to get as much dirt off as possible. Then at home, soak and blast under the sink (with drain plug in), then take an ultra soft ladies' makeup or rouge brush and gently stab at the coin while it's under the running water to get the dirt out of the crevices and details. The water whisks the abrasive dirt away without scratching. Gold and silver scratch very easily, and the higher grade they are the worse they seem to scratch.

That said, this is one KILLER find! And the video was one of the Best videos I have EVER seen!

Congrats!!

Hey Buck, thanks to this method that I stole from you my tree coin came out great. After reading your method long ago I bought a mascara brush and that is exactly how I did mine. I just wonder how much scratching takes place in the ground. In Maine we get very deep frosts and thing get pushed around a lot.
Btw I owe you and IP a huge Thanks for helping me with the PTS. I know you had no idea you hoed me but you did. And IP walked me through how to clean the surface and keep the dark toning. What a dream come true to #1 dig that coin the #2 have it turn out as beautifully as it did. Even John K was pretty blown away by it. All the best, Abe

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I admittedly did not watch the video so I should not have spoken without doing so. I normally don't even have a clue what coin I have dug until I'm home. Two reasons for this. I don't want to hurt the coin and I don't want to stop digging when I'm out there. If I spend 8 min messing with a coin in the field that could potentially keep me from digging that incredible last target at the very end if the day. The PTS just happened to have a bit of dirt fall off and I could see the branches. The cob I had no clue until I got home. I actually thought it could potentially be a NE Shilling :-) I knew it was a long shot but being that close to the other I let my imagination run wild lok

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a coin JDug!!, I could imagine the feeling you must've had and the butterflies in your stomach when you saw that baby!, that 2.5 dollar coin is in pristine condition! Big congrats brother!!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome gold. the S-mint mark is wild. I once dug a near mint 1856-S half dollar. when I flipped it out I ran to the car and went home immediately. I gently rinsed it under the faucet then put it in a case. I took it to a coin dealer and he said that I had 'cleaned' the coin and caused scratches. this was BS. under a loupe I could see fine scratches but they were there when it was lost. I sure didn't cause the scratches by running the coin under the faucet. I let it air dry as well on a towel. in my opinion it rubbed against another coin in the miner's pocket then was lost shortly after it was made. but the value does not matter to me as I would never sell it. this is why I don't collect coins as I hate the subjectivity in the 'experts' opinion.

I think the $500 was a low ball offer. I think your coin is worth more. Early San Francisco mint coins are scarce and were generally used up in the west. I was shocked to see the nice detail in yours. congrats on a banner find!

p.s., I study both the American Civil War and the California Gold Rush. your 1861-S coin dug in a Civil War camp is significant. Most Civil War guys do not understand the importance of CA gold. to put it in context, more gold was pulled out of California in the first part of the Gold Rush than the previous 200 year worldwide production combined. In 1857 the SS Central American carrying ONE gold shipment sank and it contributed to a 'mini-recession'. Gold and silver production during the Civil War greatly financed the war for the Union. Without it there is no telling what sort of problems there could have been with 'greenbacks', etc.

Gold production was so important during the war that there were several attempts by the Confederates and/or Confederate sympathizers to either take California or at the very least, take gold shipments...

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely precious finds! Another thing I liked about your post was the fact you use a tarp to place your dirt on so the surface stays natural, well done all the way around!...............63bkpkr

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations. gl hh -Joe

The other day I was digging in the frozen ground a winter camp and had found 4 bullets and some camp lead in about 2 hours. Then I broke my shovel trying to pop out a large plug. It was a iffy signal with the GPX, either iron falsing on both sides of the target or 2 targets. Anyway I came back the next day and opened it up only to find a square nail. Without checking for another signal I started digging down to the plow line to see if the sub-soil was where it was suppose to be because I've found several Fire-pits there. When I threw out the 1st scoop the clod broke apart and out popped Gold, clear as day. After freaking out for several minutes, videoing and washing I decided to keep detecting and found another fire-pit just 10 feet from the Gold 2 1/2. From that I got 4 buttons, 1 J-hook, a bullet worm, a firing cap, bone and lot's of iron. The Eagle I is of the rare variety w/ the arrows on the left and the 2 1/2 Gold is in the best condition of any coin I've ever dug and it's a S mint mark, which only 24,000 were made. HH all!
View attachment 1109220 View attachment 1109221 View attachment 1109239 View attachment 1109240

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible coin! Congratulations!!! I like the history of it the most and its proximity to the other stuff in the camp is just awesome. To think of the last person that held it, and what they were doing always blows my mind. You can buy any gold coin... but you cant buy any gold coin that you can say with almost certainty was dropped by a soldier fighting in the Civil War. Historically, that to me is priceless.

Your banner gold denominations are getting bigger in size. haha Whats next?! Keep it up.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'm a little late to the party but still want to say Congrat's. Jdug your video is hilarious. It's like you're whispering to a paranormal gold coin and mocking demons with your laugh. Priceless man!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knapsack hook.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just kidding. Holy crap that gold coin is in impeccable condition! Way to go and congrats on a well deserved banner!!!!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOWSERS!!! Congrats on digging a gold coin,beautiful!!!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats on that truly awesome coin. Thanks for sharing.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John- that's an incredible find! Guess your next one will be the $5 or are you going to skip that one and go for the $10 or $20??? LOL

Congrats also on making the banner again!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin JDug. Now you can stop digging gold coins since this is your second.

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, neighbor! I'd be interested in finding out more about your rental services. I've got quite a few good spots scouted out, but no machine to work with.
thanks
Right on just message me or call.

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome gold. the S-mint mark is wild. I once dug a near mint 1856-S half dollar. when I flipped it out I ran to the car and went home immediately. I gently rinsed it under the faucet then put it in a case. I took it to a coin dealer and he said that I had 'cleaned' the coin and caused scratches. this was BS. under a loupe I could see fine scratches but they were there when it was lost. I sure didn't cause the scratches by running the coin under the faucet. I let it air dry as well on a towel. in my opinion it rubbed against another coin in the miner's pocket then was lost shortly after it was made. but the value does not matter to me as I would never sell it. this is why I don't collect coins as I hate the subjectivity in the 'experts' opinion.

I think the $500 was a low ball offer. I think your coin is worth more. Early San Francisco mint coins are scarce and were generally used up in the west. I was shocked to see the nice detail in yours. congrats on a banner find!

p.s., I study both the American Civil War and the California Gold Rush. your 1861-S coin dug in a Civil War camp is significant. Most Civil War guys do not understand the importance of CA gold. to put it in context, more gold was pulled out of California in the first part of the Gold Rush than the previous 200 year worldwide production combined. In 1857 the SS Central American carrying ONE gold shipment sank and it contributed to a 'mini-recession'. Gold and silver production during the Civil War greatly financed the war for the Union. Without it there is no telling what sort of problems there could have been with 'greenbacks', etc.

Gold production was so important during the war that there were several attempts by the Confederates and/or Confederate sympathizers to either take California or at the very least, take gold shipments...
That was very interesting thank you. Someone else said that people were hoarding the Philly gold because of the war and a lot never made it into circlization so the Cali gold did and it's hard to find uncircilated gold from there during that era. Another cool tidbit is there was Cali soldiers enlisted into PA regiments.

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely precious finds! Another thing I liked about your post was the fact you use a tarp to place your dirt on so the surface stays natural, well done all the way around!...............63bkpkr

Thanks, the tarp keeps the landowner happy and makes cleanup easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread