Winter Mding?

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
i was wondering, and ill probly end up kicking myself. but why dont people go shooting in the dead of winter? well to answer my own question is it the cold or the fact of the ground being frozen? well what made me think of this is whe i was 16 i worked for the phone company as a digger,and in the dead of january.. even though it was colder then hello outside we dug 10x20x10ft holes in the ground and the thing that really made it easy was the 10x10 heating blanket things we used on the ground..we would first pull up unload the backhoe then place these 10x10 blankets,sit and drink coffee for an hr and bs while heating the tractor up then dig a hole..so why doesnt anyone buy 2 or 4 of these things then go out and hunt in the winter? if i could even think of or remember what the exact name of the where i would by 2 and when im scanning or digging after the ground gets thawed after about 2hrs just wrap up in it and scan.. i dont know maybe its just me. but im sure "like the movie"if someone made it possible to shoot in the winter someone would come. maybe setup a covered tent lay the mats down the day before then pull up the mats and scan away?!?!?! well its either figure a solution to deal with the down time or create a new way to do it.. its either that or buy 2 homes. By the way, does anyone know what states have squatters rights? ive been looking for an answer to find out how many of the 50 states might still have them..if you have an idea or know your state still allows them let me know. well i guess im out of topics and ill be waiting for your responces.. thanx for the help and ideas..

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Like the postal creed, neither rain nor sleet nor gloom of night will keep me from my appointed rounds.
Unless the wife says "No!". ;D

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
My question is Where do you get power for the blankets..............Rigging up a generator seems like alot of work just to swing a 10x10 piece of ground.

Why not just stay in your nice warm home with a nice hot chocalote and do research for next springs hunts. That's what I do

like this I got this satelite image from GoogleEarth You see the tree grove and if you look real close you can make out the lines of an old road grown over. This Park/Tree grove is two blocks from my house and was at one time a major route for the local farmers to get their crops to the farmers market in Norfolk from as far back as the 18th century. And to return to their farms with bags of coins get the picture.

Attachments

• Ipswitch Park.jpg
    Ipswitch Park.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 140

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Many folks do search in the winter even if they have to use a hammer and a cold chisel to punch a hole in the ground. The biggest drawback I've noticed besides frostbite is battery drain. The solution to that is to attach a long lead to the batteries and have them under your clothes where your body heat will keep them warm. exanimo, ss

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
You need to live in Civil War Country. I hunt in the winter, in the woods. The ground doesn't freeze from the decaying leaves. But, alas, I don't find anything besides Civil War Relics. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread