What's new

Winter Stubble Field - Day 11......

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
48,590
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent 3 hours on here today. I won't quite finish it in time for the Archies but I will give them the maps tomorrow, as they leave the site on Weds. Not expecting much from the last couple of hunts on this field, so the maps will be fairly complete.

No much to report. A Railway Button was about my best find.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    109.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    97.8 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

Nice finds! Are those mostly all buttons?
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

seger98 said:
Nice finds! Are those mostly all buttons?

Top picture, yes. Bottom has 2 lead tokens & 3 bag seals.
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

Whats the thing n the right, next to the bag seals?
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

shaun7 said:
Whats the thing n the right, next to the bag seals?

Top right is part of a suspender clip (I think)
Under that is a thingy :icon_scratch: (modernish)
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

whats a strubble field by the way? a mixture of stubble and trouble?
you did say it was hard work ;D
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

Those find look pretty old especially the ones in the middle with the letters on them. They look like lead/pewter?? Nice finds just the same.
 
Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

shaun7 said:
whats a strubble field by the way? a mixture of stubble and trouble?
you did say it was hard work ;D

Indeed ;D
 
Nice hunt Crusdude! HH, Mike
 
I see you found captain hooks hand cru, arrrghh matey.
 
Thanks for posting the pics, Crusader!
Always neato digs.

It's a great thing you are out there recovering things that would otherwise be lost to society.

:thumbsup:
rmptr
 
Cool!!! Capt. Hook's hook!!!! :icon_pirat:

Great finds and pics :thumbsup:
 
Can't understand why you don't get a lot more hammered coins :icon_scratch: your posts always show a lot of finds from the Medieval period, like the crotal bells and sack seals and various outher bits and pieces, obviously the areas your detecting have seen a lot of activity, I know you have posted your fair share of hammered but can't understand why you haven't found more :icon_scratch: I have only ever found one crotal bell complete and one that was broken, and only a handfull of sack seals, I know these two items date to post Medieval but a lot of yours are from the middle or earlier, do you have any thoughs or are you happy with the amount of hammered you are getting :thumbsup:
 
tyre kicker said:
Can't understand why you don't get a lot more hammered coins :icon_scratch: your posts always show a lot of finds from the Medieval period, like the crotal bells and sack seals and various outher bits and pieces, obviously the areas your detecting have seen a lot of activity, I know you have posted your fair share of hammered but can't understand why you haven't found more :icon_scratch: I have only ever found one crotal bell complete and one that was broken, and only a handfull of sack seals, I know these two items date to post Medieval but a lot of yours are from the middle or earlier, do you have any thoughs or are you happy with the amount of hammered you are getting :thumbsup:

I wondered this myself. I have had many medieval buckles, sexfoils, cloth seals, jettons etc & very little hammered of these two fields. It seems to be mostly Roman Bronzes or nothing. Its about average (for our fields) for hammered, so I can't complain. I just wish I had a market or fair site, never done one of these! :o
 
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:
Can't understand why you don't get a lot more hammered coins :icon_scratch: your posts always show a lot of finds from the Medieval period, like the crotal bells and sack seals and various outher bits and pieces, obviously the areas your detecting have seen a lot of activity, I know you have posted your fair share of hammered but can't understand why you haven't found more :icon_scratch: I have only ever found one crotal bell complete and one that was broken, and only a handfull of sack seals, I know these two items date to post Medieval but a lot of yours are from the middle or earlier, do you have any thoughs or are you happy with the amount of hammered you are getting :thumbsup:
I wondered this myself. I have had many medieval buckles, sexfoils, cloth seals, jettons etc & very little hammered of these two fields. It seems to be mostly Roman Bronzes or nothing. Its about average (for our fields) for hammered, so I can't complain. I just wish I had a market or fair site, never done one of these! :o
I myself don't think the problem is with the fields, its with the people that in the middle ages who did(not) live there for some reason. Where people are the coins will be lost, and the silver pennies were just coins back then. The must be a reason why one field or location would turn up more than an other. I would think it has an direct link to how many people ever came onto the land. Some land, like in Holland, were under water in the middle ages, or were swamps which were later drained. There could be all so many reasons why other land, used by the Romans for instance, was never used again until recently and many era's just passed by without farmers or people on the land.

If many bronze coins turn up, and no silver, I think that it was just farmed or lived in by poor people. Not everyone was rich back then. Maybe an other idea is that the ground is or was just worn out by many years of farming and people just went someplace else to farm. That happened back then, there was much more ground available to farm. Nowadays every little tiny place is either farmed or built on it seems. Back then they didn't have the fertilizer that we have nowadays either, they had only so much organic. We just take bad soil and fill it full of artificial fertilizer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom