Re: Wireless headphones
Been looking around at this type of set up myself and am testing a set now. Depending on
how electronicaly adept you are *I work on electronics* anything can be modified and if
it breaks I suggest dont trash it just rework the connections *wires* as this is most often why
these devices stop working.
Few things of note:
You may not find anything cheap~ Radio Shack is discontinued its 2.4ghz Wireless headsets
from what I've been told at the local Shack. Though you may find some online still
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2255017
but you may want to read the product reviews on Cnet about them.
If you are looking for something that is bluetooth I would not bother as there are signal lag
problems with the ones I've found that might be compatable. Has to do with the processors
so you dont have a very good real time feed. Best bet is to look at the 2.4 ghz wireless models
for real time audio.
Battery life is an issue with all wireless and you may not have anything that goes for more than 8 hours.
Review the product spec sheets to find out what range of activity you are aiming for. I marathon
alot *8 hours plus* but I'm willing to sacrafice some time. I'll keep my headphones in the car for backup.
All the transmitters that you can jack in are 1/8 jacks so if you get one pick up a 1/8 to 1/4 audio jack
adapter~ they are cheap~ and if you dont plan on using the transmitter in your walkman secure it
to the adapter with a little tape to preserve the connection.
What am I testing?
The Shack just got some in AUVIO product number 33-284 *no I'm not endorsing or selling just reporting*
that are working out ok. They are an earbug type that you charge via a usb connection. Ran me
about a hundred bucks. Not to many out there that are less than 80 dollars. The transmitter is very small
and attached to the jack adapter does not stick out to far. I'm running it on my DFX and it sits right up
under the arm rest quite nicely. The earbugs can be a bit of a problem but I plan on fixing this by mounting
them on a hair bow, or if I can find them, a behind the head U clip to keep them seated in my ears.
Box says upto 7 hours use so for my short hunts this is fine. After the warranty I'll probly upgrade
the lithium polymer battery's to something with more juice.
Also thinking after the warranty I'll probly mount the clever bits in a set of headphones.
Been thinking about modifying my Rattlesnake headphones for a while anyhow *grin*.
Thing I liked about this set is that the transmitter has a solid jack mount and should not go bad
anytime soon. That was a problem I noted from reviews of the Radio shack unit~ it swivels and
that just means it'll break *personal note I'd love to get some of those broken units to play with*.
Its kinda difficult to find comparable units that can be worked with.
Be interested in seeing what other people come up with.
Jan 15, 10
Only issues to date with the wireless: the itty bitty on off switches on the units. Occassional poping in the audio, very minor,
when working near business's. Probly a little interference from wireless phones and the units are hopping to a clean freq.