What's new

WIS button

deepseeker3

Full Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
178
Reaction score
200
Golden Thread
0
Location
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a simple button but I have not been able to find anything on it.

It is a copper button, the size of a dime, with a slightly domed surface.

On the face it says "WIS." and "1914". I am in Wisconsin so that may help....

The back is blank save for the spot where some single spot connector (hoop, stud, etc) was.
 

Attachments

  • Wis button.webp
    Wis button.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 263
After searching some acronyms for WIS, the most common and logical for your button/pin was the abbreviation for Wisconsin, and since WWI started in 1914, I'm going to guess it was a pin/button in support for WWI. Or . .it is a Union Button for Wisconsin since the Local Union # is 1914. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
After searching some acronyms for WIS, the most common and logical for your button/pin was the abbreviation for Wisconsin, and since WWI started in 1914, I'm going to guess it was a pin/button in support for WWI. Or . .it is a Union Button for Wisconsin since the Local Union # is 1914. Breezie

At first glance, I thought "trap tag" but discounted it due to its size and lack of hole. Damn good guess that makes sense. :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
Breezie said:
After searching some acronyms for WIS, the most common and logical for your button/pin was the abbreviation for Wisconsin, and since WWI started in 1914, I'm going to guess it was a pin/button in support for WWI. Or . .it is a Union Button for Wisconsin since the Local Union # is 1914. Breezie

At first glance, I thought "trap tag" but discounted it due to its size and lack of hole. Damn good guess that makes sense. :coffee2:
I would suggest that Breezie has made a great ID :headbang: - not a "damn good guess" :laughing7:
Mike ;D

and WELCOME to TreasureNet deepseeker3 :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
After searching some acronyms for WIS, the most common and logical for your button/pin was the abbreviation for Wisconsin, and since WWI started in 1914, I'm going to guess it was a pin/button in support for WWI. Or . .it is a Union Button for Wisconsin since the Local Union # is 1914. Breezie
US didnt enter the war until 1917.
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Blacksheep said:
Breezie said:
After searching some acronyms for WIS, the most common and logical for your button/pin was the abbreviation for Wisconsin, and since WWI started in 1914, I'm going to guess it was a pin/button in support for WWI. Or . .it is a Union Button for Wisconsin since the Local Union # is 1914. Breezie

At first glance, I thought "trap tag" but discounted it due to its size and lack of hole. Damn good guess that makes sense. :coffee2:
I would suggest that Breezie has made a great ID :headbang: - not a "damn good guess" :laughing7:
Mike ;D

and WELCOME to TreasureNet deepseeker3 :hello2:

Until it can be confirmed it remains a damn good guess. This forum has a great record of positive identification, hate to see that record slip after all the hard work/effort put forth by everyone
who contributes. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
I agree entirely - I'll start again - I think Breezie's 'potential ID' of a Wisconson Union #1914 Button, has a lot of merit ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0
:thumbsup: thanks ya'll! Deepseeker3, You might want to research if there was an important state event in 1914. This pin/button could have been made for something as simple as a 'state fair,' or you may want to check the history of the Local Union buttons to see how they have evolved. At any rate, excuse my manners for not saying: Welcome to the forum in my first post. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Breezie, you put me in the right direction.

The State of Wisconsin employees union is number 1914, and from some of the pics on their web, it looks like they were formed that year. My guess was military, but that is not the case at all.

I sent an email to the union, and a fella responded saying that nobody there remembered such a button (yup, not surprising) but was not really taken with the novel idea that the union had created a button long ago. Believe it or not, there are people in the world that are not as excited about history as we are.

Mystery solved!
 
Upvote 0
deepseeker3 said:
Thank you Breezie, you put me in the right direction.

The State of Wisconsin employees union is number 1914, and from some of the pics on their web, it looks like they were formed that year. My guess was military, but that is not the case at all.

I sent an email to the union, and a fella responded saying that nobody there remembered such a button (yup, not surprising) but was not really taken with the novel idea that the union had created a button long ago. Believe it or not, there are people in the world that are not as excited about history as we are.

Mystery solved!

You're welcome; I enjoy different and interesting finds. Probably no one there was old enough to remember. During that time, recording the history of a Union pin was probably insignificant. Good luck finding out more about it. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
deepseeker3 said:
Thank you Breezie, you put me in the right direction.

The State of Wisconsin employees union is number 1914, and from some of the pics on their web, it looks like they were formed that year. My guess was military, but that is not the case at all.

I sent an email to the union, and a fella responded saying that nobody there remembered such a button (yup, not surprising) but was not really taken with the novel idea that the union had created a button long ago. Believe it or not, there are people in the world that are not as excited about history as we are.

Mystery solved!

Is there a shank on the back? Because it may not be a button.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom