tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:find:Hello my fellow hunters and Wisconsinites. I have just learn and started to research this week end about a large river that runs from the south east portion of Wisconsin, middle of Kenosha and all the way to the Mississippi, I have learned that the French and the native Indians did trade, and commute together. The Indians showed the French how the Des Plaines River can help them travel from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi. I am willing to be any treasure hunting or cache hunting would prove interesting. One area I would like to start is near the park Lake Andrea that is on HWY 165. I am continuing to research more but other than the info on Wikipedia, I can't find much more. Once I get more information of the land owners on the west side of the river, it should help to open up the search. Des Plaines originates in Kenosha and goes through Illinois and feeds into a few other rivers that end up in the Mississip'. If any local hunters are interested in going to search with me, I would welcome the help. PM or respond and lets see about ramping this sucker up and more good news, the ghost town Ranney is three minutes away from there and that place could be hunted along the railroad. I can also contact WE Energies about getting more on their land for further hunting. :treasurechest:

Just found out the 165 area is owned by the county. I have contacted the clerk and am waiting for a reply. Once I get the green light, ate there any takers?

Just found out the 165 area is owned by the county. I have contacted the clerk and am waiting for a reply. Once I get the green light, ate there any takers?

Let us know how that goes.

If you want to go hunting some weekend I am willing to go if I have nothing else going on. I live in Madison but am willing to travel.

Hodgie

I'm willing to hunt I live in Beach park il. It's about 15 mins from the boarder. Happy Hunting!

Oh man. Sorry for the late reply. It's so busy it's hard to do anyting. THere is massive rock along the track and weeds and stalks as tall as me. Without something to clean it up, it's to hard to do. I would love to hunt with you local guys. Do some research and let me know.

Yeah when I get more research done, ill be more than happy to give you guys a shout. Thanks guys.

...... and weeds and stalks as tall as me.

That's wild parsnip, nasty stuff. Tracks are tough to hunt - old ties, spikes, and plates are thrown over the bank. Hazardous and tough to get around down there.

I make a living in places like that, so I know.

Here's the Kenosha County GIS system:
http://kc-web-01.kenoshacounty.org/InteractiveMapping/

It'll give you the owners and legals.

I did go over the US Surveyors maps, and there are no notations around Lake Andrea (then it looked like a swamp), thought you'd like to know.

Interesting looking cabin on the NW 1/4 of Section 22, now E of Old Green Bay Road and a farm field.

Last edited:
Hey Bum Luck, I just got a GTI. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

My chat with the DNR yeilds some good news I think:

DNR Chat

Lukas:
Good Evening Tanner, How may I help you?
Tanner:
evening
Tanner:
I have some questions about metal detecting as a hobby in creeks, rivers and beach shore
Lukas:
Ok.
Tanner:
I understand the need to protect the wildlife and fight the continuous errosion; so what are the rules so that I do not get into trouble. Are there permits I should have to buy?
Tanner:
I'm sorry this is a irregular question
Lukas:
Would you be doing it on state property?
Tanner:
Not that I know of. I try to do it in private areas and public land
Tanner:
There is a place I would one day like to go but I don't know if it possible because it is a wildlife preserve.
Tanner:
I really need to understand the rules
Lukas:
If its state property you can only use a metal detector to look for a particular lost item.
Tanner:
Is Plum Island state property? I know in State parks what you said is the rule.
Lukas:
When it comes to private property I am not sure so I will see what I can find.
Tanner:
What applies to preserves?
Tanner:
sorry im asking a lot at once please take your time. Thanks for chatting with me.
Lukas:
What county is Plum Island in?
Tanner:
Door
Tanner:
I figured since it's part of Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge, I would need to get info from the DNR.
Lukas:
Plum island looks to be Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge so that would be federal property so you would want to check with them. When it comes to private property we have no regulations on but if its in the water there maybe some federal regulations but nothing that I am aware of at a state level.
Lukas:
Since its a national park the federal government regulates it.
Tanner:
Aweosme! So water areas not under state ownership, I cant metal detect without trouble?
Lukas:
From what I can find we have no regulations unless its on state property.
Tanner:
Thanks for your help Lukas. Have a great night!

If anyone is interested, I was just given permission today to hunt the Kenosha County Fair Grounds in Wilmont. We cannot access inside via vehicle but we can go on foot according to the person I spoke to on the phone. I plan on going Saturday. Any takers?

Kinda new to this site and I am from kenosha. Did u ever check out the fair grounds tanner? That would be pretty cool.

Hey Tanner - Hate to bring bad news, but Wisconsin has a former Archy as head of the DNR and he wrote his own law into affect a few years back that NO water in Wisconsin can be detected, unless you have a permit to look for a certain lost item. So, by your conversation with the DNR person, he must not know the rules very well. I have done many hunts in Wisconsin waters and I have been warned by many detectorists of this law. To tell you the truth, I don't care. I look for peoples lost items when they call on me and if I have to battle with the authorities.....so be it.......I don't believe that most of the water patrol even know of this law, I have been asked by the patrol in the past, what are doing? I tell them, and they say good luck!!! So, just wanted to make you aware. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Good to know. I never did make it to fair grounds but I did stop at an old assembly building before there. Founds lots of nails and broken glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back