Wondered about this for awhile...

I participate in a coin forum that has many international members and just about every corner of the world has coin roll hunters.
Although many countries dont have similar size coinage that go back to the age of circulating silver, I feel that more folks are searching for errors and varieties outside of North America.
Theres also those who are collecting the most recent commemorative etc and date sets and are always on the lookout for the best circulating piece they can find for their collection.

Itā€™s not really a ā€˜thingā€™ in the UK. Our banks donā€™t use coin rollsā€¦ they use small plastic bags. Searching those bags isnā€™t particularly fruitful because we switched to decimal coinage in 1971, and thatā€™s the earliest dated coin youā€™re going to find. Even then, only the 1p, 2p and 20p coins have remained unchanged in size with continued circulation. Both 5p and 10p coins were released in large numbers from 1968 onwards and 50p coins from 1969 onwards to familiarise the public with the impending switch, but have since been replaced with smaller versions. The 1/2p was withdrawn in 1984, the 5p was replaced by a smaller version in 1990; the 10p by a smaller version in 1992; the 50p by a smaller version in 1997; and the round Ā£1 by a 12-sided version in 2017. The Ā£2 only appeared in 1998, including a delayed stockpile of coins dated 1997. All pre-decimal coinage has been withdrawn.

There are no silver coins to be had (apart from very occasional silver proofs/commemoratives inadvertently being put into circulation by members of the public), no rare dates per se, and no mintmark variations to be found since we only have one mint producing coinage.

There are a number of subtle die variations and combinations of interest to collectors, none of which have particular value, but only a handful of major mint errors with unintended die pairings worth looking out for, plus the usual assortment of striking flaws and other errors.

Really, the only coins in current circulation likely to have significant value are in the 50p series, which includes a number of commemorative and novelty reverse designs, some of which had very limited mintages.

Itā€™s pretty much the same for most other European countries. Out of 27 EU member states, 20 of them have switched to the euro as currency since 1999 and older coins are no longer in circulation.

Business accounts at the banks get service charged for handling cash/coinage.
The retailer will be happy to accept change as it avoids the fee.
For coin rolling most banks require you to have an account, then there's a limit on amount one can get, without a pre-order.
Larger amouts they'll have the šŸ¤² for a fee for handling the coinage.
We don't have coppers anymore, the nickels were gleamed over for their nickel content decades ago.
Plating companies were using coinage instead of buttons in the electroplating process.
That leaves just the dimes and quarters.
Cash is getting used less and less.
I've never see a CoinStar machine either.

I've never see a CoinStar machine either.

We have Coinstar and I always check the reject trays but have never found anything worthwhile.

I avoid using them for conversion because they take 10.9% of what you put in if you want it back in cash, or 7% if you're donating your small change to charity. Is that the same in America?

My sense is that it works in Canada as well as the US because the coin sizes have not changed there since silver was used.

My sense is that it works in Canada as well as the US because the coin sizes have not changed there since silver was used.

I live near Canada (Metro Detroit) and I have coin roll hunted in Canada. It has been awhile. They dropped the 1 cent coin in 2012, but it used to be a way to look for older coins. Canada started with the small cent coins in 1920.
I did find a few (8-10) silver dimes. but it was always easier to find silver FDRs in US boxes than Canadian silver dimes in Canadian boxes. My experenice was the 20-25 % of the coins bought at Canadian banks were US coins.

We have Coinstar and I always check the reject trays but have never found anything worthwhile.

I avoid using them for conversion because they take 10.9% of what you put in if you want it back in cash, or 7% if you're donating your small change to charity. Is that the same in America?
In my area of Canada I have never seen one of the bandits in a store outlet so :dontknow:
Maybe one of the USA reset tray hunters could provide that info.
But that that's a hit 10.9%

Switzerland may be another place where CRH is possible. The coin design and size has not changed there in like 150 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back