sscindercoop
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 14, 2009
- Messages
- 2,603
- Reaction score
- 806
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Central New York
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
) As far as age is concerned, again PBK is right on the money with a date close to 1840. Although you can't see it in the scan very well, these seem to have the drilled roud hole in the "shank" rather than the u shaped opening, which dates these particular bells to the last phase of his manufacture.johnnyi said:Once again a terrific i.d. by PBK. This will probably be the only time I'll ever disagree a little on his i.d. on anything; however these are sleigh bells rather than crotel bells.
Crotal Bells it is, Great ID PBKshaun7 said:
You just did. And yes, that is indeed a nice "sleigh" bell. I found one just like it recently..CRUSADER said:What no mention of 'rumbler'.
but I think the general definition is Crotal Bell 
So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
Silver Searcher said:So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
SS
CRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
SS
Yes.
The word 'Rumbler' became current as the name for Bells which decended from earlier Crotal Bells. Both types had Lopp, ball clapper, rounded construction & sound holes. So Crotal is commonly used & acceptable along with Rumbler Bell for these types which were used for various functions.
PS, I agree with PBK that the Candle Holder is Late Victorian.

shaun7 said:CRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
SS
Yes.
The word 'Rumbler' became current as the name for Bells which decended from earlier Crotal Bells. Both types had Lopp, ball clapper, rounded construction & sound holes. So Crotal is commonly used & acceptable along with Rumbler Bell for these types which were used for various functions.
PS, I agree with PBK that the Candle Holder is Late Victorian.
"Ball Clapper"![]()
![]()
CRUSADER said:shaun7 said:CRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
SS
Yes.
The word 'Rumbler' became current as the name for Bells which decended from earlier Crotal Bells. Both types had Lopp, ball clapper, rounded construction & sound holes. So Crotal is commonly used & acceptable along with Rumbler Bell for these types which were used for various functions.
PS, I agree with PBK that the Candle Holder is Late Victorian.
"Ball Clapper"![]()
![]()
that is a far better name, maybe we should start that urban myth.

shaun7 said:CRUSADER said:shaun7 said:CRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:So do you think a better defination would be Crotal bells(rumbler) also found on sleighs :PCRUSADER said:Silver Searcher said:Yes I have heard them called that to Crubut I think the general definition is Crotal Bell
SS
I'm mixing it upRumbler is fine for later Crotal Bells.
SS
Yes.
The word 'Rumbler' became current as the name for Bells which decended from earlier Crotal Bells. Both types had Lopp, ball clapper, rounded construction & sound holes. So Crotal is commonly used & acceptable along with Rumbler Bell for these types which were used for various functions.
PS, I agree with PBK that the Candle Holder is Late Victorian.
"Ball Clapper"![]()
![]()
that is a far better name, maybe we should start that urban myth.
You mean like, instead of the bogey man? Definitely!!
I'd rather bump into the Bogey Man than the Ball Clapper![]()

Silver Searcher said:Just getting back on topic, there is still one item in sscindercoops post to ID, just wondering if this could be a openwork bridal boss :P a bit like this one (fragment)what do you think guys :P