What's new

Wood Mold or Part Of Equipment - Rural Farm Find

Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found in old farm shed southern Alberta Canada, interesting, not sure what it is, first impression was part of a windmill blade, gave up on theory, thinking more to do with saddle making, what do yous think?
 

Attachments

  • 2009-08-03L 090.webp
    2009-08-03L 090.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 533
yeah looks like a saddle frame or tree. It looks like there is a metal piece on the left side of the pic. If that is kind of u-shaped with the ends extending out sideways then that would be the front of the saddle
 
Upvote 0
Yes, I vote saddle; it looks like it still has the front rigging dee and back billet strap. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
That thing looks soooooooo uncomfortablllllllllle! :o
 
Upvote 0
Any idea how old? Is there a link I can see a good shape one? Will post as solved as soon as I figure how to do that, Thanks peoples. Emptypockets0919
 
Upvote 0
I'd say it was an older one - 1800's late 1900's. Mostly for 2 reasons. More modern saddle trees are not usually built that way, and because the newer side saddles usually have the arm on the near side, along with a second arm, and yours does not.

I'd definitely keep it.

There are people who will rebuild it for you.

B
 
Upvote 0
All due respect,I agree it is a saddle tree,but how can you conclude it is from a side saddle??? ???
 
Upvote 0
I know this part looks like a warped piece of wood, but it is a thigh rest for the right thigh, the left leg went into a stirrup.

Really hard to explain, maybe this will help.


side saddle2.webp
 

Attachments

  • side saddle 3.gif
    side saddle 3.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0
AHHAH!Good explanation!I used to have my grandmothers side saddle,I didnt remember it having that high spot where the horn would be.Your diagram says it all!!!
 
Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
Cool find!!

Its a side-saddle tree!!! (the part furthest away was for the other leg).
I'm glad someone knew exactly what that was. I knew it was a saddle tree but couldn't figure put what that piece was for. I've learned something.
 
Upvote 0
Hey, great saddle experts are out here. Nice work. Is the metal thing at the top of the picture part of an old bed frame. The kind with lots of springs instead of a box spring and mattress?
 
Upvote 0
Resent find... another side saddle from early 1800's and all local saddle experts have come up with all that you peoples have said. and thank you for diagram! Good stuff. Found saddle and some follow up thank yous can be viwed on www.mypioneertractor.com. Emptypockets0919
 

Attachments

  • lb1.webp
    lb1.webp
    162.3 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom